“Great service”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is not about the motel itself but the people running it. We had a family issue come up on our trip requiring us to leave the area early. I spoke to the front end manager, I think his name was Ryan, who went above and beyond customer service to assist us with our situation. He even helped us deal with Club Carlson on the reward points to get it taken care of. I can't say enough about his understanding and helpfulness. Highly recommend this property based on their great customer service.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 4lifewvu

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I'm a rewards member and was happy to see there was a Country Inn in the Port Clinton area. Apparently the chain took over a former Fairfield Inn hotel in the last 6 months or so. Anyway, I was there for the Jet Express Triathlon and had a connecting room with some girlfriends. The hotel was very clean and comfortable. Each room had a fridge & microwave. The sink is separated from the bath/toilet room, which is nice when you're sharing the space. Comfy beds. Standard breakfast. There was a small indoor pool that we did not use. It was very warm (think hot tub) and I was actually excited about using it after my triathlon, but never got around to it.

The night before my tri I asked if I could get a bagel from the breakfast room since I would have to leave before it was open. The desk clerk returns with a bagel on a real plate, along with cream cheese, butter, & jelly just in case. That was sweet. Simple kindness go a long way with me.

One odd thing about the hotel is that it doesn't have an elevator. The stairway is wide, clean, carpeted and I had no issues bringing my luggage/bike to my second floor room. It wasn't a big deal at all, but just know before you go and possibly request a first floor room if necessary.

Upon checkout there was an issue with the bill. I was expecting to pay for one night with my rewards points but had been charged for both nights. I had a pretty early departure and the day manager was the only one who could make the adjustment. I couldn't wait for them to get in for the day and so the desk clerk said they would email me the adjustment. I was nervous about leaving the issue unresolved before hitting the road, but sure enough! By the time I got home the adjustment was in my email. Perfect.

Another thing... upon entering the building there is a very strong "bleachy" smell. This freaked me out a bit, until I realized that the laundry room is behind the front desk. Don't worry, the smell doesn't carry through out the building.

There was a strong

Room Tip: There are 2 floors, but no elevators. If you don't like stairs, request a first floor room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank HDasgupta
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Good hotel for business. Buffet breakfast and lunch spreads are huge. Food is good and so is the service. I will rate the hotel good in all respects. The only downside, the hotel was difficult to locate in the night. I was just 2 buildings from the hotel and the hotel operator was not able to provide correct directions.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KrisLakshmi
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Good location--easy to get to Put-in-Bay. Nice staff. Way overpriced compared to other places. Should have just made reservations on Put-in-Bay for the price. Not an easy location to find good restaurants. Had to go to next town and had a wonderful meal along the water.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank utoometoo
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Our family took a trip to Ohio to visit Kings Island and Cedar Point. For our accomodations near Cedar Point we chose County Inn & Suites. We seen the reviews that mentioned the refresh of the one time Fairfield Inn. We selected a suite room that included the Sofa Sleeper and extra space. First look the room did look refreshed (minus the carpeting) and the furniture looked new. We didn't pick up the sheets to look, but the mattress felt new and as sounded as if there might be plastic between us and the mattress. The carpet should have been replaced during their upgrade because it clearly was dirty. The bathroom also did not seem upgraded as their was mold in the corners and the bathroom just looked dated. We did get a good sleep on the bed. The breakfast was pretty good for a free breakfast and the kids enjoyed it. Our second morning breakfast included mini omellettes that tasted pretty good. Each morning included potatoes. Overall, for the area, the hotel wasn't a bad choice. They need to consider putting in some new carpetting and upgrading their bathrooms though.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dan b
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This used to be the Fairfield Inn until it was reworked to Country Inns, so don't be surprised when your GPS tells you that this is where you are going. They have made a good attempt to fix this up.

I will do the not-so-good first. We walked into the room and and I found a small piece of cellophane that was lying on the floor. Once we were ready to go to bed, we discovered that the sink would not drain as the mechanism was not raising the stopper. It was this way when we got there, but we did not try to use it. We did not call the desk to fix it as we were in bed and not decent to have workers in the room at 11:00 PM nor wanting to change rooms. There is no elevator but there are only two floors so it is not too bad, unless you have very heavy luggage. I saw mold at the bottom of the shower curtain, which occurs all over Ohio, sadly. The TV is a nice flatscreen but the remote was very uncooperative and I had to change settings manually on the side of it. I did return one remote to get another but with the same results.

On the bright side, the staff was very friendly and helpful. There was a bowl of apples and goodies at the counter for snacking and the coffee maker was available in the lobby at night. The price was good and was much lower than the Holiday Inn express up the road. The breakfast was good, and in a large room, although there should be TWO waffle makers with the number of kids eating breakfast here. There was a covered warmer of home fired, omelets, and sausage as well as a toaster. You won't starve here. I appreciated the smoke free environment and the mention of "quiet time is at 11:00" as I am a light sleeper and have had LOTS of trouble at other hotels recently with loud voices and TV's next door in the middle of the night. This way it is clear.

The above negative comments may just have been circumstantial and we might have just gotten the wrong room on the wrong night. For the price, I would recommend it to others who will probably find things better than we did.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sliphorn
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel the weekend of 8/3/12 to visit Cedar Point. While it's very new looking with all new furnishings, and spacious w/ flat screens and tv/fridge in each room (we booked very last minute, so got the King handicapped-accessible room adjacent to the lobby), for the more particular travelers, you'll notice a few things: peeling wallpaper, shoddy sink countertop job, some interesting tile work, and FIRM mattresses. The lobby and dinning area, while VERY nicely decorated, are both very cramped. There's not enough elbow room at all. But, I must say this is the ONLY hotel we've stayed at w/ free breakfast where we didn't have to look for a seat. Each day, there were always two or three empty tables up to an hour before breakfast was over. Breakfast wasn't great either day, but it was edible. I'm really regretting that I didn't make a waffle. There was no line at the machine -- we just didn't have time.

Never made it to the pool, but it looked nice and clean (no jacuzzi there) and it's in the sunroom area that's attached to the dinning room. The small gym is nestled inside the pool room, which probably makes it convenient for you to wash off all that workout sweat. We used the business area (not a center - since it's in the hallway on the way to the pool) and there's only one computer there. It would be great if there were at least two machines so, you wouldn't have to wait.

The front desk service makes this place an outstanding overnighter. We arrived very late for check in and the front desk folks were very nice, if not a little scruffier than the folks you see during the day. And at check out, folks were very pleasant and professional, as well. I think this is a nice hotel for a short stay. Next time, we'll book earlier and probably stay closer to the attractions. There's not a lot of shops, etc. near this location. I've enjoyed other Country Inn's, but this one was not quite as nice, and it made me miss the Hyatt House we recently stayed in at Miami: http://miamiairport.house.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-miamiairport-house/index.jsp

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family