“Nice trip!!”
Review of Sleep Inn & Suites

Sleep Inn & Suites
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed here 8/22/13 - 8/25/13. Went to the room, smelled bad, I went to tell the night Front Desk Clerk, he came and up to room and agreed. We went back down to the front desk, and he upgraded us to a suite which smelled great, we were very happy with that room. The staff are very friendly! If you have an issue with your room, speak up!! I will stay there again when visiting the area!

The hotel is located close to the Ferry to Put In Bay and the African Wildlife Safari, a must visit if you are in the area!

Room Tip: A/C works well, hot water in the shower!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank reneeistired

Reviewed August 24, 2013

a nice room and good grounds. we actually took two rooms. nice and clean. pleasant staff. it was priced well. we were really trying to stay in or closer to put in bay. this was not too far however. overall we liked it and were happy. as opposed to other reviews i thought the shower and bathroom were very clean and on par

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TREK39
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Normally, my family and I stay in the area for Port Clinton's Fall Festival, Applefest. This time, we took a mini vacation before school started and chose the Sleep Inn Hotel. The lobby of the hotel is very nice and is a great welcome to the hotel. After you walk past the lobby, however, is when the hotel begins to go downhill. Once we left the lobby and ventured to our room on the first floor, I was instantly hit with a musty smell, quite like a punch to the face, and it was worse inside our room (Room 112). I think the hotel could seriously do with some air freshener and some cosmetic fixes. Check in time is at 3pm and we walked in the door shortly after. I asked about a roll away bed since there was three of us and only two beds. The attendant said okay, like there was no problem at all. After we unpacked and went to venture out to Port Clinton, I asked the attendant again about the roll away bed. Apparently, the last one had been given away a little bit ago and they were out of roll away beds. What? A little bit ago, you told me it was fine? Disgruntled we went out for a couple hours and came back early due to it being Sunday and everything was closed. I inquired again about the roll away bed and they were still out. I decided to take a walk around the building just to see how many people were staying in the hotel that night. At 9pm on a Sunday, I literally walked around the entire building and at least half of the rooms were empty. Do they only have like 2 roll away beds? By the way, if you don't like bugs, specifically spiders such as myself, I would avoid the back part of the building.

Before I returned to my room, I inquired one more time about a roll away bed and whether we would be able to receive one for the next day. The attendant made a note and said that she would see what they had available. After my walk, I broke out my laptop to do a couple school related things and upload our pictures that we took. Unfortunately, I could find the Wifi signal, but I couldn't connect to it. I went to the lobby and confirmed that a passcode wasn't needed to log on. Even in the lobby, I still couldn't connect my laptop to their Wifi; this includes restarts and multiple troubleshoot runs. Granted, my Iphone would connect, but some of my school websites don't work on my Iphone. They did, however, have a desktop computer in the lobby, but I'm not putting any of my personal information into a public computer.

Breakfast was kind of disappointing. They had a waffle machine, toast, sausage and gravy, typical fruits, two types of sugary cereal, and cold, store bought hard boiled eggs. It was the typical quick sugar rush/ crash later kind of breakfast. Before heading up to the room, I ventured to the vending area to get a quick fix of caffeine. I discovered that the vending area was very overpriced. Why would I pay $1.75 for a bottle of soda? Or $1.25 for a standard candy bar? My University wasn’t even that expensive! They had three video games in the vending area as well, but the screens on the games were very, very cloudy—not worth playing. Afterwards, I showered and the curtain definitely had some mold growth on it, most likely due to the maids not pulling the shower curtain after they clean it to dry. The tile adjacent to the shower also had some mold growth, probably due to the shower curtain not reaching all the way to the floor.

After our long day at the Island, we returned to the hotel room to discover that we had finally received a roll away bed. Now I expected the roll away bed to be in less than perfect condition, but this particular bed had been quite jerry-rigged. It took the combination of my father and brother working with the springs to get the bed to a reasonable sleeping condition. I really can’t believe they gave us the roll away bed in the condition it was. The springs themselves were very loose and some were missing. Probably a better option would have been to bring a blow up mattress.. Or even a sleeping bag. The TV was old fashioned and had very few channels, which I didn't mind, because we weren't staying there to watch television. A couple of the channels had the picture, but no sound.

The next morning, we got everything packed up and I thought all was well. Until, my brother tried to put on his shoes and noticed this little, long black thing running from inside his shoe. He quickly killed it, but unfortunately, squished it to the point it was undefinable. It was an insect of some kind, but we didn’t know what kind. I was afraid that it was a roach judging by its behavior (to get out of the light) and the way it moved. Unfortunately we would get another chance because they same little black bug came out of my shoe when I picked it up shortly after. Again, my brother took care of it, but in his haste to squish it, it was again flattened like a pancake. Perhaps suggesting a blow up mattress or sleeping bag was a bad idea.. We still couldn’t identify what the insect was, so before we walked out the door, we showed it to the attendant. She quickly dismissed it and said that it was a centipede. I doubt she knew the difference between centipedes and millipedes, but centipedes are the biting ones. There was no apology and she acted like she could care less. We stayed at this hotel because it was cheap, had Wifi, and was in a decent location, but I can’t say whether we’ll stay here again when we come up in October for Applefest.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank CindyLou13
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Like a lot of other reviews on this hotel, I too, found mold and mildew on the shower curtains. Plastic is very hard to keep clean. I do wish every hotel would clean their bed covers after each visitors stay. However, I know that this probably is impossible. I cannot say that doesn't happen at this hotel. If they take my suggestion and others here to clean up the mold and mildew, it would certainly help make this hotel more sanitized. My wife and I also noticed a smell in the hotel lobby and hallway that smelled like someone who has never used deodorant for awhile. I don't know the cause of this, but some air freshener would help or some kind of other cleaner. We ate breakfast there one morning of our stay. It was okay, but it would be nice to have hot eggs of some sort. Maybe I am asking too much, but for the money we paid for a two nights stay ought to cover it. I really can't believe this is a Choice Hotel. Otherwise, the stay was nice. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would probably stay there again with some changes made by the hotel. Everything else was fine and we were able to rest comfortably. Make sure you tell the front desk about the mold problems if you have any. They will be more likely to resolve the problem. The mildew and the smell were the only problems that would prevent me from returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here July 28 - August 1. This is a great hotel to stay at if you are in the Sandusky/Port Clinton area. It is right off Highway 53/2 and was about 15 -20 minutes from Cedar Point, "downtown" Port Clinton and Put-In-Bay. The staff was very friendly and breakfast was good. The room is small, but you do get two queen sized beds. Older hotel, but very clean. Keep in mind that it is a small town hotel, so don't expect anything ritzy. However, when we come back, we more than likely will stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in room 207. Pretty decent.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were really hoping to like the Sleep Inn because the front desk staff and the lovely ladies manning the breakfast area were very pleasant and friendly; however, the hotel has a few areas of improvement: First, although we were obligated to sign a form stating that we would not make noise, that we would leave the room in "reasonable condition" and not smoke in our non-smoking room, it seems we were some of the only folks to actually obey the rules! Upon entry to our room (again, non-smoking), the faint smell of cigarettes hit my nose, particularly after I got into the bed, as the blanket really did smell like smoke. Either the walls were completely uninsulated, or the people next to us, who arrived at their room at 11:30 p.m. were the loudest talkers, drinkers and door openers ever! We heard every word, the laughter, the beer bottles and their entering and exiting the room several times until they finally piped down at 2:00 a.m. The shower stall in our room had not been cleaned after the prior guest, as the bottom was dirty and there was grass in there as well. The carpet near the sink seemed damp upon arrive, which was gross. On the plus side, the staff were friendly and courteous, the breakfast was nice and the breakfast area was kept clean and well stocked. Sure it was cheaper than some of the other places in the area, but for the condition of the room and the thin walls, I'll pay more next time!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KeyLimeLover69
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is my second time staying at the Sleep Inn & Suites in Port Clinton, Ohio. Both times the rooms were clean and well priced. The staff members both at night and in the morning were friendly and kind. The breakfast was tasty and enjoyable. They had us sign that we would not have a party in the room, as with the resort community of Put-in-Bay on South Bass Island nearby, this apparently was common in the past. We were glad that this was not the case anymore, as we had a lot of driving ahead of us. Three of us stayed there for $101.24 which was for two queen beds, non-smoking. We also had a roll-away bed which they did not charge for.

Room Tip: Our room was near the elevator and we never heard a noise from it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family