“Wine selection is awesome, food is good...”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Wine Guy Wine Bar and Bistro
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Columbus, Ohio
“Wine selection is awesome, food is good...”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Let me preface my review by saying that I do not actually drink wine. I know it probably sounds a bit ridiculous that I ate at this establishment, but I met with a group of friends who DO drink lots of wine and this is where they wanted to go.

First, I want to mention that I've bought wine here several times (as gifts) and the staff has consistently steered me toward wines that were enjoyed tremendously and that were in my price range. That is very helpful to someone like me who has no knowledge.

Now on to the restaurant portion... I like the feel of the restaurant, but I do think there are some opportunities for improvement. We were originally told that they do not accept reservations, yet when we showed up with a party of 7 people the first time, we were told that they couldn't accomodate us because they were booked the rest of the night and our party was too large. ??? We did come back and try it again (making reservations) and we got their private room! That was awesome and didn't cost additional.

Food is expensive there, and I don't know that the culinary talents of the chef truly match the price-point they are reaching, but the food was better than just good. One of the ladies got Salmon though and after 2 bites couldn't finish it. It was too dried out and gross... The waitress took the salmon off the bill without being asked when it was obvious my friend was not going to take the fish home with her. I did like that, although it would have been better had the waitress done a quality check during our dinner. Oh, and beware the corking fee! At $10/bottle, it really ups the cost per glass. I think most of the glasses of wine are $9 each.

Another opportunity for improvement would be to actually have iced tea, not Snapple. I don't believe the cost would be astronomical, and on the weekends business appears to be booming. Not everyone enjoys wine, and I would have really like to have a glass of iced tea, but Snapple also holds no appeal. Obviously that is not a make or break for this place, but I think it would be good nevertheless!

Overall, I would eat at this establishment again, and I would continue to purchase wine as gifts from them because of their knowledgable staff.

• Visited April 2012

pickerington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“very nice atmosphere”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We were recommended to this place by the Greek restaurant on 256 and I must say the place was quiet which is very good. My wife really enjoyed it and she said she will come back with some of her girlfriends.

Visited February 2012
Pickerington
“Different dining experience”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

This was a different dining experience. The dinner presentation and taste were impeccable! Choosing our 'flights' of wine and learning about them was entertaining and provoked stimulating conversation.

We purchased a bottle of our new found favorite wine on the way out.

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
“shiesty business”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

THIS RESTAURANT IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY. We went in for good food and drink and came out feeling shiested. The servers at the bar and at the tables push the wine for a low price. What they don't tell you is that there is a "corkage fee" of $10 so you end up paying twice as much, or more per bottle! The fee is listed on the menu, but not made clear. To me, a "corkage fee" is if you don't finish a bottle and the server corks the bottle for you to take with you. They make the price per glass so high and list the bottle price so low that it only makes sense to buy by the bottle, so you are damned if you do and damned if you don't! All they need to do is be honest and charge the $20 per bottle like everyone else does so the customer is aware of what they are getting! Selfishness and greed are the problems with this country, its all about the almighty dollar even if you have to shiest people to get it! It's bad business to essentially "trick" your customers and that is basically all they are doing. We won't be back based off of this principle. The food is fine, but pricey. The service, outside of dishonesty, is also fine. If you want EXCELLENT food, wine and service with a good time go to The Village Wines and Bistro in Canal Winchester right on High St! Everything there is quality and no shiesty business!

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank stang2064
San Tan Valley, Arizona
“Love the selection of wines”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

If you get the sampler which there is several different ones to choose from and an appetizer it is awesome cool atmosphere and huge selection of wine very friendly staff and super nice place