“Not the best choice”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Perrysville
Chardon, Ohio
“Not the best choice”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The grounds are lovely to be sure, however the "lodge" left a lot to be desired, the need for updating is evident. This lodge could stand a complete overhaul, including rooms and exterior. We recently booked two rooms, one adjoining to our room. Our room was fine, although in need of a thorough cleaning, lots of dust in the corners and just shabby in general. Once entering the adjoining room, we found a fair amount of rodent feces on the bedding. As it turns out, it was due to a bat being trapped in the room (per a manager). Also had a bat fly over my head while walking down a hallway, same bat? I'm not sure. They did offer us complimentary breakfast and offered a different room, but would I go back? No.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Travelsohio
Laura W, General Manager at Mohican Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay at the Mohican Lodge and Conference Center. I appreciate your patronage and would like to offer you my sincere apologies for not exceeding your expectations during your recent stay.

I was disappointed to read about the bat encounter and room cleanliness issue you experienced while staying at the lodge. I know it had mpact on your stay with us. With good weather, doors are left open and occasionally, as in your experience, a bat makes its way into the building. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience during your stay. I will take the necessary steps with our housekeeping and maintenance staff to ensure our guest rooms are inspected, as they should be prior to arrivals.

I hope your recent experience at our lodge does not prevent you from visiting us again and experiencing our usual high standards of operation. If you return to Mohican, please ask for me so I can personally ensure that your next stay is far more enjoyable.

Laura Weirick
Mohican State Park Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
co
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The grounds and setting are beautiful. Beds are on the smallish side- queens seem smaller than queens for some reason. The rooms seem a little institutional, but the setting is quite nice. Internet worked nice, balconies were nice.

The lodge is a little out of the way- maybe 13 miles from another choice of restaurant. The restaurant here has a great setting and view. The food quality is another story. We were presented with a menu and ordered, but only after ordering was it disclosed what items were out of stock. So we had to re-choose while the waiter stood looking down upon us.

The salads was bland and plain, but fresh. The crock of chili was filled only halfway, and with no real broth- it was more like chunks of meat. The fish portion of the fish and chips was nicely sized but tasteless and greasy. The coconut shrimp was very heavy on the coconut and sweetness, couldn't really taste the shrimp. In short, the food was brute force and graceless and not worth the price. Would be better off bringing in Subway sandwiches to my room.

The restaurant opens a little bit late- 8am for breakfast.

For the most part the wait staff seemed friendly and willing to please, but our server must have been new- wouldn't really go to bat on substitutions for sides.

It was a nice little getaway otherwise.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lolopasstrail
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Positives: beautiful area! The staff was extremely friendly and made us feel welcome.
Negatives: The beds were only full size and felt even smaller than that! The pillows were too fluffy and offered little to no support. The pool was small and the air temp was cold. The water was cool as well (not what one is hoping for in April). The dining area was lovely, but the food was expensive and of poor quality ( the waitress recommended the burger, but I dis NOT enjoy it! I asked to have it cooked medium; it was extremely tough and chewy- like a sausage patty). Hubby ordered meatloaf: also a strike out. 10 year old ordered kids pizza - yuk! ( I think it was a frozen pizza, though). All of us were disappointed. I was told the pizza is great, wish I would have ordered that and saved my money!
I will camp next time I am out visiting in the Mohican area!

Room Tip: If there are king size rooms, take them; otherwise, stick with 1 person p bed. Bring your own pillo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy R
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Beautiful location on the lake but it it is a little rough around the edges, more like motel room interiors. Run by state workers some wonderful, some disgruntled; just like postal workers. Management is pretty good and tries very hard to insure a happy stay.
I was there during Spring break and really only the weekends were busy. Restaurant closes early and there are no other dining options close by. However if the bar is open, you can eat and imbibe there. A shout out to the one special waitress there: Misty who is the best.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank LAXakaLala
Louisville, Ohio
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I have been here several times. We have always had a good experience. Rooms are always clean and very nice looking. The food at both the bar and the restaurant are great. It has a huge patio with tons of room and spectacular views of the lake (this is actually where my husband proposed-at sunset). I would recommend if you are looking for quiet time to ask for a room in the C building. This is the furthest buiding from the pool and patio area, it also has great views of the woods and lake. My only complaint coming here is that the pillows are way to fluffy! We just bring our own. I would definately recommend for someone to stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the C building. It is the furthest from the pool and patio area, so its much quiet...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband recieved an Ohio State Parks gift card from his employer and was badly in need of a break. We should have recognized the issue right away when the fron desk clerk couldn't seem to get the card run. We agreed to have the card left open for dinner and after the manager ran the card we would be back to get it and a receipt. Come to find out they had put the entire amount of the card on our account and thrown the card and reciept away. The evening front desk lady was rude. She made mention that she had called and left a message. But first, we were on vacation and second we weren't sitting in our room waiting for a phone call about the card. We were having fun. Typically I don't have to worry about where to be on vacation. At check out the day lady was helpful and they ended up issuing us a check for the remainder, that we are supposed to recieve in the mail.

Our room was another story. When we returned to our room Saturday evening we found that we had clean towels but our beds were not made. I understand not changing the sheets everyday, but I don't expect to go to any hotel and not have your bed made?! DIsappointing.

We did eat in the Restaurant on Friday evening. The food was good and the view was nice. It was very convenient.

The grounds are beautiful. However, we will not be returning. Too bad.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Vermilion, Ohio
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I spent a weekend at this lodge and loved its deep woods and lakeside setting. To me, this is the main reason for coming to Mohican.

With regards to the lodge:
PRO:
- Rooms appear to be recently updated
- Wireless free and easy to use
- The buildings and grounds are clean and well-cared for
- Food and dining room service good
CON:
- Lake views are so-so. We were located right in the middle of the rooms and had a better view of the parking lot than of the lake.
- Most rooms only have double-sized beds versus queen.
- Front desk service is so-so. I was interested in upgrading to a king room at check-in, but gave up when it became obvious all the clerk was interested in was getting rid of me asap.
- Stairway lighting is bad almost to the point of being dangerous.
- There is a beautiful concourse filled with leather couches which connects the lobby to the rooms, but it smelled so badly of diesel exhaust that you couldn't spend any time in it.

Again, if you come for the outdoors you won't be disappointed. And while the lodge is adequate, like so many Xanterra properties it could be so much better with just a little more attention to the needs of the guests. But bare in mind that Xanterra, who manages this lodge and many other state and national park hotels, does not work for you and me. Unlike a Hilton or Sheraton that stays in business only if they please their customers, Xanterra's "customer" is the state or federal government. Unfortunately, most of their properties - including this one - reflect this.

Room Tip: There are three buildings of rooms. The building closest to the lobby has no view; the middle one i...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank OhioEngineer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Perrysville
Hampton Inn & Suites Mansfield-South @ I-71
#5 of 15 in Mansfield
Landoll's Mohican Castle
Landoll's Mohican Castle
#1 of 1 in Loudonville

Been to Mohican Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!