“Your standard horrible Mexican dirty restaurant”
Review of Cocina de Carlos

Cocina de Carlos
Ranked #2 of 118 Restaurants in Perrysburg
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Owned and operated by the Mendez Family since 2010, Cocina de Carlos (Carlos' Kitchen) serves a fresh style of Mexican Cuisine.
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I used a groupon to go to this restaurant. I was interested in getting a chicken tamale(as they were all over the menu) but the waiter informed me they only had pork tamales? Whatever I guess I will skip that. Decided to order the chicken chimi. It was presented on a plate with lettuce, tomatoes, refried beans, rice, and very VERY old guacamole! What a shame. It was completely brown. Not sure why they even served such a horrible looking thing. The chimi was nothing to write home about. They didn't even put any peppers or onions inside, just some sad looking chicken pieces.

Also I asked for a frozen margarita but much to my dismay, their blender was broken I guess I will take it on the rocks.... when it did arrive, it could have possibly qualified for the worst margarita that I have ever had. Cheap tasting tequila, and a weird, fake strawberry tasting mixer. All this for 4.99? I would expect a better margarita at my local watering hole on dollar marg night.

When I went to use my groupon, they tacked on gratuity (for two people?) This is a first for me and I have been using grouping to try new places for a long time. I will never return if I can help it. I recommend el vaquero on the other side of town night and day over this place.

1  Thank scorpio84ashley

Reviewed January 9, 2012

I found this restaurant by chance but since then I come here at a regular basis. The lunch buffet is outstanding. Always fresh. Great food. Haven't been at a better maxican restaurant yet except in Mexico itself. The people are very friendly and care for each customer. Kids will have fun here as the owner is an natural talent in entertaining them. He makes sure it is a pleasent experience for the whole family. Oh yea, have I mentioned that the food is excellent?

2  Thank RDatUSA
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Go for the food. We tried the lunchtime fajita bar. There were about 20 other patrons at 1pm; the fajita bar closes at 2p. The food was tasty and fresh and included: 3 types of fajitas, queso fresco, hot flour tortillas, chips, hot queso dip, fresh cheese quesadillas, rice and refried beans, and FRESH GUACAMOLE, AND PICO DE GALLO. I capitalized those last two because while everything was fresh, hot, and tasty those two items were unbelievable standouts. Those two alone were worth the price of admission. Friendly, efficient staff and an affable owner/chef. Don't go for the exterior decor; you're there for the food!

1  Thank L B
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We recently purchased a Groupon to try out this nondescript restaurant and was sure glad we did. The shrimp quesadilla was bigger and had twice as many shrimp as another local Mexican restaurant value priced @ only $10.50. The service was slower @ OK Patron but the quality was worth the wait. Even the salsa tastes better here, not ketchup tasting! They even have a punch card after nine buffet/ dinners...get one FREE! The Fajita buffet bar is basic but good all you can eat for $6.50 . Ambience could use a little help but there's only so much you can do with an old Wendys building.

Reviewed August 14, 2011

We first visited in June 2011 when in town for a gymnastics meet. The burritos are huge and the grilled pineapple is fantastic! We like it so much that when we were on our way home to Dayton from a Canada vacation we planned a stop for dinner. Yum!!!