“Don't Even Think Of It!!”
Review of El Vaquero

El Vaquero
Ranked #17 of 115 Restaurants in Perrysburg
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Stoughton, Massachusetts
“Don't Even Think Of It!!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Not sure where to start on this one - probably the worst Mexican food/experience I've ever had. We were seated promptly in a relatively full restaurant and bar. We were told to "watch your step" because the floor was like a skating rink - either recently polished or the fryer overflowed and ended up in the dining room (I vote for the second explanation). We order two strawberry margaritas on the rocks made with Patron, not some rotgut, with no sugar or salt on the rim of the glass. We were brought some half melted slushy margarita with sugar on the rim and a glass that was sticky enough that I thought we were going to attract ants. It looked like a pre-made batch of margaritas to keep the happy hour crowd happy. They brought out a basket of chips next, maybe Tostitos, although that isn't fair to Frito Lay, and some salsa that was made by waving a tomato over some red water. If there was flavor I quite possibly blinked and missed it. We decided to put in an order for an appetizer and go from there. We ordered nachos with chicken, the number 62, and within a few minutes it arrived. I'm not sure about ordering by number because this was all number 2. It was the same chips with chicken cooked with the seasoning of cardboard and some peppers that had been wilted down to mush with white cheese covering the entire plate. It looked like Ron Jeremy had his way with the chips and it ended on our table. We had two forks for three people so me and my wife shared. At that point we decided we just were going to take the check and find someplace more edible to eat, a dumpster perhaps? We asked for the check and received 25 more napkins and then five minutes later more Grosstitos. I checked to make sure they didn't print the bill on the chips or napkins and finally, after having to ask again, several minutes after that the bill arrived. We paid the bill and then took our leave. We had been here several years before and it was at least edible. It looked like there had been no effort to keep the place up and the food was lacking to say the least. Even the "Mexican" we have back home was better than this.

• Visited April 2013

Toledo, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and a fun atmosphere”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The food is very good with nice sized portions. Located in the downtown section of Perrysburg, parking is easy. This is a great place to visit anytime.

Visited May 2012
Currituck, North Carolina
“Awesome for the Mexican Food Lovers”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Over the past year, I have visited this establishment on four separate occasions with small and large groups of people. I have yet to meet anybody who did not like the restaurant! This place is great and seems to always have a line around dinner time. I had to eat in the bar on one occasion because the wait was over 30min for a table, which was fine by me as the crowd in the bar area staff were great.

I would rate the food “very good” on the Trip Advisor scale. Keep in mind I am a connoisseur of Mexican Food after growing up in the Southwest part of the US. Each time I ate food here; the food was hot and tasted excellent. There was a great amount of taste and flavor to just about everything I ate. The beans were good, salsa had the right amount of spice and they have an appetizer with cheese and chorizo that is excellent with the chips. The carne asada was not perfect by taste, but it was very good and hot. I have eaten their carne asada plate, tacos de carne asada and the carnitas; all were great. My only complaint would be that their nachos include liquid cheese, not melted grated cheese. The portions are a decent size, I never left hungry.

The service is great as everyone on the staff I interacted with were friendly. There is a bar area where you can eat, a large dining area and I think they have outside seating as well.

I have eaten at other Mexican restaurants in the greater Toledo and this one is the best that I have found. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes Mexican food and great service.

• Visited July 2012
Perrysburg, Ohio
“Great party atmosphere”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We love going here for reasonably priced meals. They are very speedy getting chips and salsa to you once you are seated. Once you've ordered, you won't wait long for your meal. I enjoy a vegetarian meal and my husband loves their wet burritos. They also have a patio if you like to sit out and enjoy the weather. Always busy with families and other gatherings!

Visited August 2012
Columbus, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Margaritas! Ole!”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This was a very festive restaurant. The staff was friendly and we got our food very fast! The margaritas were awesome! They have a great salsa that is in a bottomless bowl...they keep filling it back up!!

• Visited June 2012