“Best Hotel I Never Stayed In!”

Candlewood Suites Perrysburg
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Perrysburg
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I've never stayed at this hotel. But guests considering whether to book here or not should know that they can be assured of nice bed linens and towels. That is because the manager, Dee, donates the old linens to Helping Hands of St. Louis, a soup pantry and clothing donation center on Toledo's east side. They are distributed to the needy and homeless and are much appreciated, as they are way too expensive for most clientele to buy. Dee's generous donations speak of a corporate culture which values the community and its needs. Thank you Dee, and Candlewood Suites!

Room Tip: I live around the corner from the hotel. Just for your visiting pleasure, please know that in the im...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Darshana P, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Perrysburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2014

We appreciate your kind words and our staff here at Candlewood Suites are very proud to assist organizations such as the Helping Hands of St. Louis. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words and please let us know if you ever need anymore donations in the future!

Reviewed August 23, 2014

Traveling through the area on a recent family trip in early August. Had trouble finding a room in even a "modest" hotel and happened on the Candlewood Suites. Was a little more than we needed/wanted, but it was getting late. Dog tired, we made a reservation through tripadvisor, found the hotel, checked in, and stumbled upstairs. The room was a pleasant surprise -- Big! Clean! Pretty! Sweet! Definitely felt a little more energized and happy with our decision.

Our primary purpose was just to sleep, clean up, and head out in the AM. Didn't end up spending a lot of time here, but really appreciated the comfortable surroundings. The heating/air in the room was a little tricky to figure out but the temperature was okay.

Hit the Tim Horton's conveniently located around the corner for breakfast. Only regret for the visit was that we didn't pick up a pound of coffee to bring back home.

Room Tip: Some traffic at the ends of hall on the first floor.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Darshana P, Manager at Candlewood Suites Perrysburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Thank You for you positive note, we are glad that you had a wonderful experience at our hotel. We will continue to strive for great service.

Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

First of all, this is a nice, clean, fairly new hotel. If extra space is what you need and you don't mind housekeeping only coming by on occasion, then this is a great choice for this area. This was my second stay, and I was very pleased.

As with most suite-only hotels, you can smell what was cooking. This can be off putting, but tho was nothing compared to some of the other cities I've stayed in. Besides, once the door closed the problem disappeared.

Some may miss the free breakfast, but I gladly exchanged that for clean, living space. If breakfast is your style and you don't mind a more run down feel, there are options nearby. I will be staying here, thank you very much.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank drPolar
Darshana P, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Perrysburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review for Candlewood Suites Perrysburg! I will be sure to take the time to communicate all of your positive feedback to each department in the hotel so they have the incentive needed to keep producing excellent results. I am very pleased that this was your second visit and we look forward to seeing you very soon!

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Just spent a couple nights here passing through town but a couple nights was enough. Not that this is a bad hotel but the odors in the rooms are pretty overpowering to say the least.

The first room they gave me had a strong smell that can best be described as a cross between kimchi, curry and feet. I went down to the front desk and was given a new room, this one also stunk but wasn't quite as bad, it was more like a extremely, heavy musky, perfume or cleaner and it was impossible to air it out. I'm pretty sure the housekeepers sprayed, whatever it was, down into the AC unit and I couldn't figure out why until that night. Both nights I was here a skunk sprayed somewhere in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, it's probably a pretty common occurrence and it's left the hotel rather smelly so they spray that perfume or cleaner to try and mask it.

Other then the smells the hotel was fine though. The rooms are a bit smaller then the average Candlewood but was clean and comfortable.

Location is excellent, I thought Perrysburg was a really nice area, probably the best suburb in Toledo. Plus quick and easy access to I-75, I-80/90 and I-475 but no traffic noise, my stay was quiet.

AC unit besides smelling nasty also had a mind of it's own, sometime it ran properly, sometimes it didn't. It also shuts off at night when your sleeping, I guess when your not moving around and it got very hot.

Wireless Internet was decent but nothing to write home about, speed tests showed about 3 Mbps download speeds, it's on the lower end of what you find in most hotels but still capable of streaming video.

Mattresses are the typical Candlewood Sealy Posturepedic, these appeared to be the original ones from when the hotel was built (2009) but they are still pretty comfortable.

All is all this isn't a bad hotel, if it had not been for the smells I'd probably give it a 4 star rating but can only give a 3 because of the odors.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AlCzervik1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Perrysburg, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear AlCzervik1,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased that our location worked for your needs. However, it is regrettable that the condition of your room greatly affected your stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest services.

Thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 17, 2014

This is a very nice hotel. Quiet - excellent staff. The room was great - and the bed was wonderful! We will be making this our hotel of choice for our future visits to Perrysburg and would highly recommend to anyone traveling through or to the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank KCinIndiana
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed here recently for one night. I picked this location primarily because it was pet friendly. While the price was a little high for a Candlewood Suites, the hotel itself was in excellent shape. It was clean and the furnishings were new, not worn out. The biggest plus was the beds. I had the most amazing sleep I have had in a hotel in many years. The location is close to restaurants and shopping. All around, a very good experience. It was great being able to bring my little dog and stay in a comfortable, clean environment. We would definitely recommend it and will return ourselves when in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Girly313
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I travel for my job, with the Department of Education, and I prefer to stay at the Holiday Inn Expresses, due to their outstanding customer service. The Candlewood Suites in Perrysburg is on my/the list in terms of having outstanding customer service, too, per Emily and Chelsie. I am a soft sleeper, and was placed under a guy who worked an odd shift, nevertheless I was up at 4:00am for the remainder of that morning. I thought that I would be given a hard time, but Chelsie (and Emily) moved my room, and made the entire process smooth, there was no confusion or drama, they simply assisted me with professionalism, and kindness, thank you, ladies!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business