“Fantastic Room at a Reasonable Price”

Candlewood Suites Perrysburg
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Perrysburg
Carlton, Minnesota
“Fantastic Room at a Reasonable Price”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Usually staying at a Holiday Inn Express when we travel, we were referrred to the Candlewood Suites since we were traveling with pets and the Holiday Inn had no pet friendly rooms. What a great room. Every room is pet friendly in the hotel. Rooms are large with a kitchen, clean and comfortable. Bathroom was also large. No breakfast but you can purchase some food items at a very reasonable price. We usually leave before the breakfasts anyhow so not a big deal for us. Also no pool but we don't normally use one anyhow, so again, no big deal for us. Would definitely stay again when in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Comstock Park, MI
Reviewed May 5, 2012

This is a an extended stay hotel but they do rent by the night. I look for these when traveling for my job as they have a full kitchen. I prefer to cook my own meals when possible. This one is perfect in every detail from check in to check out. I will stay again! NO restaurant, pool or complimentary breakfast so be aware of this in case you are looking to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Casa Grande, Arizona
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Hotel and room clean, Quiet area, Nice laundry. Stayed in a queen room everything OK had a stove, full size fridge and microwave. 3-4 groceries very close to buy groceries

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor if possible. The sound when someone drags a kitchen chair will come d...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stayed here for two nights while visiting friends in the area and selected it based on convenience and the previous reviews, which were pretty accurate for my experience. The hotel is located on a small side street, which my GPS found with no problem, but changed the address to the Holiday Inn. The Candlewood Suites is a little farther down on the opposite side of the street.

Staff at check in and check out were friendly and the process was quick. I had prepaid through Expedia, which had the same rate as the hotel website, but found out while there that they actually had a rate that was $15 less per night on my reservation. Since I had booked through Expedia on a pre-purchased rate, I couldn't get the adjustment, which was too bad. It would have saved me $30.

As others mentioned, the hotel has a small pantry where you can purchase food items, and there is a small fitness center with a washer and dryer (free to use). There are movies at the reception area that you can borrow to play in the DVD player included in every room. There's also business center that is free to use and convenient for printing boarding passes.

My room was a Queen and had a full size refrigerator, microwave and stove top, as well as a coffee maker, iron and ironing board. The bed was comfortable and the window opened a few inches so that I could get some fresh air. Everything was clean and still looked new. They provide soap and Pantene 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner for the toiletries. The only problem was that the door to the bathroom is extra wide and it seems that they didn't measure well when they built the place because you can't open it all the way. It hots the vanity and stops. So you need to close the bathroom door when using the vanity area in order to have full access to the counter top. (I was in Room 210, but I assume the design was the same in other Queen rooms.) if you only close it part way, it swings open and the door handle hits you in the back.

While I was there, the place seemed pretty full based on the parking lot, but I did not hear noise from others except as they left their rooms in the morning. The location is just off Hwy 75, making it convenient to get places, and there are a lot of options in close proximity. There's a Bob Evans restaurant across the street, a Panera just around the corner, a Walmart and a Sears Outlet about a block away, and several others. I only stopped at Panera for breakfast one morning, so I can't recommend anything else in the area. The hotel also offers a BBQ area in the back for those who want to BBQ.

All in all, my stay was good, the hotel was very clean, and the service was good. I would recommend this hotel to others staying in the area and will return the next time I'm out visiting friends in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Virginia
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Let me start by saying we actually stayed here for a convention in Detroit. Why? Because apparently the state of MI no longer welcomes smokers and I personally wont’ stay at a hotel that wants me to stand on a street corner at night to have a cigarette, especially in Detroit where the crime rate is so high. It was only about an hour drive but well worth it to be able to relax in my hotel room at night. Put the smokers in a different section with a separate ventilation system vs. banning them from what they enjoy and do you really believe people that smoke illegal substances are following the rules? I highly doubt it. And then I had to wonder why MI is so concerned about quality of air when all I saw were numerous factories blowing chemicals and toxins into the air at massive rates, buildings crumbling to the ground which I’m sure full of asbestos yet cigarette smoke is the concern? Honestly sometimes I think the world has gone nuts.
So off my soapbox and to the hotel. I saw an earlier review that in 2009 it was brand new so their GPS could not find it but that has not changed. My GPS is about 3 months old and could not find the street, hotel or zip code. I had to pull out the PDA and use MapQuest. The hotel sits at the end of long road beside a Holiday Inn Express on Freemont so if your GPS does not work use that location. Upon arriving I was greeted by a very nice young man that checked me in. The hotel is very clean and well maintained. My only complaint was the elevator. When it stops on the 3rd floor the brakes vibrate and shakes the elevator quite a bit, I could have done without that.
The room is very nice, I have included pictures. It’s the typical design I see at any Candlewood Suite Queen Bed room. They offer you a variety of pillows, feather etc if you don’t like those in the room. The bathroom was very nice with working drawers which I really liked to store away toiletries. The water was hot but the pressure is very low. It comes of course with a full kitchen, dining table, flat screen TV with cable. The bed was medium, a little firm for me but comfortable enough. The windows open a bit which is always a plus for me when the weather is nice. Perrysburg OH is a very nice and the historical area was lovely. I felt completely safe the entire time I was here. There are numerous restaurants, grocery stores, almost anything you could want in the immediate area. I will definitely stay here next year when we return to Detroit. In a way I have to thank the state of MI because I would have never sought out Perrysburg OH and found out I like it much better than staying in downtown Detroit. The price difference between the two hotels $81.00 Perrysburg and $150.00 Detroit more than made the drive worth it to us as well.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LBiship
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Perrysburg, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Dear LBiship,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We are pleased you liked the location of our hotel as well as your room accommodations. We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience you experienced with the elevator. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cupertino, California
Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is a nice, clean Candlewood Suites at Perrysburg, OH. I stayed here few times for 2 nights at a time. The hotel has a snack pantry with free coffee, business center, mini gym and laundry facility. The suite has a full size refrigerator, coffee maker, sink, a microwave, 2 stove top burners with full set of flatware. Bed is on a firm side with 2 very flat pillows. In addition to the flat screen TV, the room also has a DVD player. Guest can borrow a collection of DVDs from the front desk. Wall is on the thin side. Make sure you do not have a loud neighbor. Overall, it is a good stay for the price. The location is nearby grocery, panera, fast foods and restaurants. I will return to this hotel again when I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor, facing the back of building.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed February 19, 2012

This is nice and very clean place to stay especially the extended stay. Caveat, this place is pricey if you want to extend your stay out of pocket. Most staff are friendly. This has a mini gym and a laundromat....perfect for a workout buff on the go! Lacks swimming pool which come in handy in summer. It iis conveniently located off of I-75.

• Stayed February 2012