“Decent Fun”

Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Peninsula
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My brother and I went on the CVSR this past weekend. Most of the people working it are volunteers. This is great, except we kept running into ones that lead us in the wrong directions or just weren't very helpful. We asked which car to enter on and was given a vague way in the general direction to our right and told "that one." We were lead in the opposite direction to the food car and ended up finding it on our own. One conductor was very helpful and sat near us and pointed things out to us and explained about the areas we were going through. There isn't a lot of great scenery, but everything is very lush and green. We saw two eaglets and their nest which was a highlight. You have the option of getting off and shopping in one area and then re-boarding later.

If I were to do this trip again, I'd probably pay the few extra bucks for first class and go in the fall when all of the colors are in full bloom. Decent ride for the price though.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank Jenny K

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We just rode the train from Rockside Rd. Station all the way to Akron and back. We saw deer, crains and a bald eagle in its nest. The conductor in our car would point out things to see as well. Another time we rode our bikes down to Peninsula and then rode the train back up to where we started.

2  Thank GotToGetAwayOhio
Reviewed July 9, 2013

For $3 you can take your bike aboard at any of the the Cuyahoga Valley train stops, ride the train to any stop going north or south, get off the train and then ride your bike on the wonderful Towpath Trail. The scenic and flat bike trail goes through the National Park, along the Cuyahoga River, through woods, farmland and wetlands. We took our out of town guests to Peninsula, rented bikes at Century Cycle and rode the train north to Rockside Rd. On our bike ride back to Peninsula, we stopped at the Visitor Center, then the Boston Store for a snack and then rode back to Peninsula. We returned the bikes and had a late lunch at the Winking Lizard. It was a great way to spend time in Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

1  Thank LindainOhio
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had read ahead of time a lot of information before taking the train trip with my 9 year old grandson & husband. I thought First Class Seats would be better than the General Seating or the Dome, as I had seen how hot people said the Dome seating is in the summer. I paid extra for the roomer seats in First Class. I also had read that you head audio stories & information along the way during the trip. I booked my tickets the day ahead & was not told that the audio was not working in the First Class area. We took the 12:45 train from Rockside. It became very hot in First Class around 3pm. We were told we could move into the General Seating, but I wasn't sure if we wanted to do so, as I understood there was a daycare group in there. Finally, we did move around 3:30pm & found it so much cooler & more comfortable & then realized the General seating had the audio stories & information, too. I realized we wasted $15.00 extra & missed all the history & such we could have enjoyed had we just gone in the Coach/General seating. Of course, we wanted to hear all the stories, but missed them. It would be better to just go with Coach seating. I wish someone had mentioned the air conditioning doesn't cool as well in First Class (the Dome would have been worse) & the audio doesn't work in First Class before paying extra & then missing out on part of what we went on the train trip for in the first place. It was nice, but we were disappointed. (The volunteers were nice.)

2  Thank BethT798
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We arrived for the 4:30p trip originating in Independence. We paid the extra fare for the dome topped car, which includes a bottle of water and a granola bar. It was a overcast and sometimes rainy afternoon, so a covered outdoor activity was perfect for us and the entire trip lasted 3 hours. Our trainman was very nice and provided lots of area information. I got a little queasy on the trip out because I was riding backward (I get motion sick). The return trip was much better and a nice was to see the national park. I think our trip was good because we ended up sitting across from a nice couple who were fun. I must admit that the trip did make me a little sleepy and it would be nice if people would swap sides for the return trip so you could get a better view of the other side since it is the same route back. My 19 yr old and I enjoyed it.

1  Thank Cheryl S