“Not the worst place I've stayed...”

Quail Hollow Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Painesville
“Not the worst place I've stayed...”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Quail Hollow Resort is a slightly shabby property conveniently located off of I90. Its location is great, but the property could use some TLC. For instance, we stayed on the third floor, and the exit sign was an empty frame someone had smashed the center out of with bare bulbs exposed. Not very safe or attractive. Beds were ok, pillows not so great. Bathroom spacious but no vent fan. My daughters were impressed by the mini Bath & Body Works products. Good air conditioning. Not the best place I ever stayed, but not the worst. I would stay overnight again, but bring my own pillow and a clothespin for the curtains.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Ptadiva
Kari B, Director of Sales at Quail Hollow Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We do apologize for not meeting your expectations. We do appreciate your feedback and we have since repaired the exit sign. We hope next time you are in the area you will give us another chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband, 13 year old daughter and I stayed here last week while visiting family. I booked our room online and confirmed a 2 queen bed room. Upon arrival we were given a room with 2 double beds, a view of a roof with broken dirty screens on the windows. Management arranged for a room upgrade at no additional charge. Basically they moved us down the hall to a room with 2 double beds and a couch.
We visit this area a few times a year and always stay across the highway atbthe Baymont Suites and next time we go we will return there. They also serve complimentary continental breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JakiMaria
I do appreciate you taking the time to write a review. I do apologize for the miscommunication with your guestroom. Our Family Suites do feature two queen size beds and a pull out sofa. Although breakfast is not included in the rate, you may add breakfast at time of reservation at a discounted price. Please give us another chance as we have many repeat guests and have become many families an annual tradition
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I recently stayed two nights at this resort for a friends' wedding. The accommodations are very average and not updated.

The golf courses are nice, very well manicured, but not really a deal. The discounted wedding rate was $65. We played early one day around 730am and they did not have the driving range open before our round, so we could not warmup.

The wedding facility was nice and the food was just better than average.

The worst part about this "resort" is the customer service. Time after time, the staff underwhelmed. It was over 100 degrees both days that we were there and the a/c in our room was not cold. When we asked for it to be serviced, a maintenence person came down and told us it was working just fine.

When I asked room service for a piece of cake with a candle delivered to the pool for my wife's birthday, they forgot!

I stayed on a Thursday and Friday, yet several times no server or bartender could be found when I wanted to order food or a drink.

I left very disappointed with the experience as a whole. I would not choose to stay at this resort again.

-Brandon, Columbus, OH.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank sweetb45
Thank you for sharing your experience, guest reviews help us understand our guests needs and are a helpful training tool. We will address all issues. We do offer golf specials and discounted rates during the week, please visit our website or call us directly for more details. We do hope you will give us another chance and stay with us next time you are visiting the Cleveland area.
Mississauga
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Spent the Canada Day long weekend in Painsville, Ohio just outside of Cleveland. We stayed at the Quail Hollow Resort. The goal was to try out some local golf courses, visit the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, and see what else local we could do. The Quail Hollow Resort was very easy to find, and conveniently right off the highway. Unfortunately, maybe a little too close - from our balcony, which was pleasantly situated overlooking the pool, there was the constant din of the highway traffic, and at times it was quite noisy. Check-in was fast, as was check-out; it was a nice touch to have cookies available in the lobby at check-in. The room was nice, what you'd expect. No little mini-fridge, which might have been nice. The bed was comfy, but the pillows were lumpy & terrible - that was weird, since there were plenty of decorative pillows on the bed, and the rest of the bedding was quite nice. The hotel was nice, but the hallway carpets are a bit worn, and the staff were very helpful - when I asked for directions to the Rock 'n Roll Hall of fame, a map was printed out for me right away - nice! Directions to the Quail Hollow golf course were readily given and easy to follow. There is a restaurant on site, and I asked if they served breakfast & was told it was a buffet. I asked if there was a menu selection, too, for a quick breakfast before golf and was told 'yes'. Unfortunately, there was no such option upon arrival at the restaurant at 6:45am and so we were at a loss early in the morning as to where to grab a quick bite before our early morning tee-off; that was annoying. The restaurant on site seemed formal, so we didn't eat there for dinner; it would have been nice to have some local options for eating in a binder at the concierge desk. We tried the Redhawk Grill next door, and it had a pleasant patio atmosphere and was hopping with patrons. We discovered the Sunny Street Cafe in the nearby Gristmill Shopping plaza too late - they had a great breakfast! We also ate at Panini's beside the shopping plaza - a comfy local sports bar with great food. The hotel outdoor pool was nice to go to after our golf game, but was quite busy in the late afternoon with kids; more chairs and little side tables would have been nice. The indoor pool looked ok, but we didn't use it; the hot tub, also indoors, was quite hot - loved that, as many places keep their hot tubs only 'warm'. Nearby golfing was great! We tried Little Mountain, Manakiki (a wonderfully maintained municiple course), and Quail Hollow. Unfortunately, even though you get playing priviledges when staying at the resort at this private Quail Hollow club, you cannot use the restaurant or outdoor patio for a drink afterwards - we were told 'members only'. Sheesh - we just wanted to sit and enjoy a cool drink on the patio after the game, but I get it, it's a private club. Besides visiting downtown and the Rock 'n Roll hall of fame, we also visited Geneva-on-the-Lake; had a nice lunch on a deck overlooking Lake Erie at a locally winery, but it was a bit of a drive to get there - maybe we should have tried Painsville instead, but, like I mentioned above, the hotel didn't have any easily accessible flyers on local facilities, restaurants, attractions. All in all, I'd say our experience was 'nice', the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame very interesting & worth the visit, and the golfing was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel, to avoid the residual noise from the highway.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking to time to write a review. We do appreciate hearing from our guests and am glad you had a chance to enjoy our facilities and local attractions. We do apologize for the issues during breakfast hours. Upon request, we can arrange for a microwave or refrigerator in the room. Please call the hotel prior to your arrival. We value your business and do hope you will choose to stay at Quail Hollow Resort next time you are in the Cleveland area.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I checked in early before heading off to an afternoon family event. They were nearly full the night before, but checked me in early w/o any hassel. Room was decent with a convenient power plug on the desk (brought my own extension cord/strip) to recharge all the electronics. Met folks at the bar and the bartender was very pleasant, even fetching a couple of draft beers from the lounge area on the second floor. The nieces enjoyed using the indoor pool.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
We greatly appreciate your feedback. I am pleased to hear we were able to accommodate your early arrival. We do try our hardest to honor all guest requests. We take pride in our wonderful staff and facilities. We look forward to you next stay with us at Quail Hollow Resort.
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed here for a 1 night stopover on the way home from the east coast. The hotel is situated on a side road, and very close to the interstate, but we didn't hear any traffic noise. There is a gas station, McDonald's, and Waffle House at that exit. We didn't go to the breakfast buffet because it was rather expensive for a family so I can't comment on the food. The rooms are large and were acceptably clean, but are dark and badly need updated. We had 2 rooms, one of which smelled strongly of stale cigarette smoke even though the property is non-smoking. The linens were clean, but a light gray rather than sparkling white. We had driven 12 hours that day and really needed to move around so we swam in the pool even though the water was so murky that we couldn't see our feet! This is a very large property, but there didn't seem to be much staff or many guests. We got a fabulous rate on this hotel, and just needed a stopover, so I believe we got what we paid for. However, if this was a destination or a multiple day stay, I would feel much differently!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Becky R
I do appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We have been a premiere resort here in Northeast Ohio for more than 30 years and take pride in our facility. We do apologize for the issues experienced during your stay. We would have immediately responded and resolved any complaints of smoke smell if we were to be told. We are a 100% nonsmoking Resort. We do hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Concord, Ohio
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We stayed here years ago...what a difference this time. We had a Groupon for our stay which included a food voucher. Thank goodness we didn't pay full price for our stay. The Sunday Brunch was overpriced but it was all that was available. Not enough staff to keeps things clean or food replenished.

Room Tip: Choose the Baymont around the corner.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ConcordCouple
I do apologize for not meeting your expectations. We do try to staff appropriately in order to keep up with our guests needs. We do use our guest’s comments as a helpful training tool and appreciate all feedback. Your comments will be addressed to management. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We do hope you will give us another chance in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Painesville
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 5 in Painesville
Steele Mansion Inn & Gathering Hub
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
Residence Inn Cleveland Mentor
Red Roof Inn Cleveland East - Willoughby
WoodSpring Suites Cleveland Mentor

Been to Quail Hollow Resort? Share your experiences!