“Not really Irish”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Painesville
Fitzgerald's Irish Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Painesville B&B and Inns
New Hartford, New York
“Not really Irish”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Being from Cork, Ireland, I was hoping for that type of Irish hospitality as they advertised. Helen greeted us warmly and was very helpful with directions and dinner choices. We never met our hosts and understand they are a working couple, but being an "Irish" B and B they should offer the breakfast as advertised or offer a reduction in price for a continental breakfast. We have encountered this before and the hostess offered and told us we would not have a full breakfast. We did not know until we had paid for the night that we would not have a full breakfast. There was no one to serve us in the morning and we even had to make more coffee ourselves. Definitely not what we expected of Irish hospitality.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank beauboxer
bedandb, Owner at Fitzgerald's Irish Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Unfortunately we were out of town when this guest visited our B&B. It should be noted, as stated on our website and our reservation system, that the weekday rate is discounted because a continental breakfast is included. A full breakfast is served on weekdends and holidays.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
McLean, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

I wrote a review for Fitzgerald's B&B before but TripAdvisor lost it. That's too bad because I don't remember all the fine details anymore, BUT, I remember being very happy with the room, the food, and the lodging. The house is beautiful and the location is perfect. The only complaint I had was the squeaky bed -- made "romance" a challenge! (And red faces coming down the stairs to breakfast.) I have stayed in other places around the area but nothing beats Fitzgerald's B&B.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DV_RoadTrippers
Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

My husband and I wanted a weekend getaway for our anniversary. We had never been to a B&B before so we were a little wary before we left. It was more than I could ever have hoped for. It was spotless and very comfortable. The antique furniture and decor puts you in another world. Everything was beautiful. We had the Bushmill room and really enjoyed the whirlpool. The owners were very nice and helpful for directions and any other info you may need. It's set in a small town, but is very close to restaurants and the lake. The 3 course breakfast was spectacular and the home made scones were the star of the meal. We had a great time there and will definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheRedQueen
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Fitzgerald's and we love it. We were treated like family as soon as we walked in. Debra and Tom are amazing they both enjoy what they do and it shows as soon as you enter the B&B. We were given a tour by Debra she chatted with us about local places to visit. Very helpful as we are from Canton and had never been to this area before. The town is very quaint lots of small shops, antique stores and very close to Geneva on the Lake, and local wineries. Alot to do and I wish we had more than a night there. We will be returning soon to spend more time. Breakfast is made by Tom and he is a wonderful chef:) We had Creme Brulee French Toast Tom was trying a new recipe and we were glad to be the first ones to try it. Very well done! Thank you Tom and Debra for a incredible evening and morning. I am glad I found this special spot and will be sure to pass it on to all my friends and family.

Keri and Seth

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank keriandseth
Painesville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2008

After having stayed at this B&B myself in June, I recently booked a room for my mother, who was coming to visit. Unfortunately, two days before her intended stay, a long-time family friend passed away very unexpectedly, due to injury. My mother wished to postpone her visit for one week, so that she could attend his wake and burial. When I contacted Deborah FitzGerald, I was told that they'd be delighted to have my mother the following week, but despite the nature of the situation, we would still be billed for the original reservation. Despite my explanation that the death was completely unexpected, Deborah was unrelenting. Needless to say, we will never again patronize this establishment, and my recommendation to others, given the unpredictable nature of illness and death, would be that you also take your money to someone who actually values you as a customer.

Stayed June 2008
8 Thank lalalalaPainesville
bedandb, owner at Fitzgerald's Irish Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 11, 2009
This was an unfortunate circumstance. Prior to taking a reservation, guests understand that we have a 2-week cancellation policy. Even given that, we only enforce our cancellation policy when we are completely sold out and we would have lost income. This woman called to cancel just about two days before her arrival. At that point I tried to rebook the room by making it available online, but it did not rebook.

We are very reasonable and have been voted one of the top 15 B&Bs in the U.S. Our close proximity to Cleveland and I-90 makes us an ideal location enjoying all that Lake, Geauga, Ashtabula, and Cuyahoga Counties have to offer.
Granite Bay, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2006

Attention to detail and cleaning are evident at every level from restoration to operation. A REAL Irish feeling as soon as you see the building and grounds. Although the immediate area is a suburban/industrial mix and the fire department is on the same block, these are small distractions from the warm staff and the property itself. The breakfasts were very good and no one went away hungry. Highly recommended!!!!!!

• Liked — Irsh theme
  • Disliked — Surrounding neighborhood
  • Tips/Secrets — 15-20 minute drive to Kirtland, Ohio
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank small-bucks
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2005

I was looking for the perfect place to take my husband for a surprise getaway for our anniversary and found it at Fitzgerald's Irish Bed & Breakfast. It's located in Painesville, just 30 minutes away from our house in Cleveland and made for the ideal getaway. The owners were very friendly and attentive but provided our much needed privacy. We stayed in the Galway Room and it was beautiful with a huge bathroom and large jacuzzi. The jacuzzi was ideal for us to further relax after we returned from getting our massages. The breakfasts were out of this world. Homemade scones were the best as well as the hot breakfast. The first day we had strawberry stuffed french toast and the second breakfast was an egg dish in a potato pie crust. We highly recommend this B&B.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Painesville
Residence Inn Cleveland Mentor
Steele Mansion Inn & Gathering Hub
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 5 in Painesville
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Cleveland East - Mentor
WoodSpring Suites Cleveland Mentor

Been to Fitzgerald's Irish Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!