“A Soothing Get-Away Spot”

Best Western Sycamore Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Oxford
Fairfield, Ohio
“A Soothing Get-Away Spot”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

My wife and I escape to this oasis 1-2x/year. The staff always smile, and exude warmth. The 85 degree indoor pool & 102 degree hot tub were great. Windows open for fresh air. Free breakfast is avg, but coffee was superior. Close access to Oxford, and a short drive to the beuautiful Hueston Woods State Park.

Room Tip: Room 202 is huge (probably 500 sq ft), with a king bed, garden jacuzzi tub, wet-bar, seating alcove...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tominfairfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed December 19, 2011

The rooms at the Sycamore Inn are just fine, clean, with quality beds. We stayed here over Thanksgiving weekend, and it was not very busy. Breakfast in the small atrium would have been a challenge with a larger crowd, but if you want to grab a coffee and yogurt, it's fine. The staff was friendly and capable.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank pullittogether
Ohio
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Best Western Sycamore Inn is located 3 blocks from the main street in Oxford. It is close enough to walk to Miami University and town, but in a quiet area. I have stayed here several times, and always find the rooms clean and the staff very pleasant and helpful. One of the nice things about the room is that you can actually open the window and get fresh air from the outside. They provide a continental breakfast that consists of fairly mediocre pastries and weak coffee, but you are close enough to good coffee shops and restaurants so that is not a problem. The next time I am in Oxford, I will stay here again.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank fh953
Maryland
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We were in Oxford to visit the university and this hotel was very convenient and reasonably priced. The first issue we had was there was a very nasty stain on one of the comforters in our room. So nasty in fact that we took it off the bed. I guess we could have called the front desk but by the time we noticed it we were already in our pjs and didn't want strangers in our room. Other than that, the room seemed clean even though the halls smelled musty. The next issue was the most serious. We had the misfortune to be assigned a room that was directly under a high school track team that refused to go to sleep. We had an eight hour drive the next day and the kids were stomping around like it was a construction zone. We called the front desk and they apologized then promised to stop the noise. It was still going strong an hour later. Finally, around 1 am they quieted down but by then I was so agitated that I had problems going to sleep. It made our trip home very miserable. We also chose the worst time for breakfast as the whole team had just gone through what little was out there and completely cleared out the food. They also took up all the tables and were very noisy. By then we have had enough of the place and those kids so we just checked out. We told the front desk about the situation (in the nicest way possible as it wasn't really their fault) and they offered us a 15% discount on our next visit. Since it will all depend if my daughter chooses the university it might not be a big help but the gesture was nice. Turns out that the track team was there all week and had been a major irritation for the management and other guests. I would have liked discount on our room as our stay was miserable but I felt for them. The chaperones should have done a better job. I really don't know if I would stay there again. I think the price might be a magnet for sports teams and the like. The people working there couldn't have been nicer though and that was the highlight of the stay.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a youth group staying there. If there is stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 22, 2010

The room is clean, simple and a place to sleep. The workout area is better than nothing.
Two things really made this a great place to stay: The location makes it an easy walk to the university and the cool shops and restaurants. The staff were very friendly and Very helpful. Did I mention how nice the staff were?:-)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We have been staying here for over 10 years now. The staff is very friendly and willing to accomodate any reasonable request. Even though the facility is going into its second decade, the management has not let it decline in appearance or technology. Their Wi-Fi is without a doubt the fastest FREE Wi-Fi I have encounered anywhere in my travels. All of the rooms have been updated and there is always nice carpeting and bedspreads covering VERY COMFORTABLE beds!!

You need to understand that this is not a 5 Star Hotel, but its not supposed to be. But it is, without a doubt, the FINEST Best Western Hotel I have ever found.

The hotel is located within walking distance from downtown Oxford, but far enough away that typical college town noises do not interrupt your sleep, no matter what time you go to bed.

You absolutely will not find a friendlier, more pleasant or accomodating staff anywhere.

Keep up the good work!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
New Hampshire
Reviewed August 21, 2009

The best feature of this hotel is its close proximity to the Miami University campus. We visited MU with my oldest son and wanted a hotel close to the campus for convenience. Also, the staff was very friendly and accommodating.

The hotel is older and in need of updating. The rooms were dated, as in 1980's, but clean. Our bathtub did not drain properly, though, so by the end of your shower you were standing in ankle-deep water. There is wireless Internet connection in the rooms, but the signal is very weak and kept dropping out. I would have been even more frustrated had I been at the hotel on business and trying to work.

The pool area was nice and attractive; however, one of the tables around the pool had lots of crumbs and food bits all over it, as well as on the floor surrounding it. I'm not sure whether the food was left over from breakfast that morning, or from the night before. The bottoms of the pool and hot tub were in need of a new paint job, and the sides of both needed to be cleaned. The water, however, was clean. The breakfast was OK, but not a big offering (a couple of cold cereals, oatmeal packets, bread, packaged bagels, packaged saugage biscuits, muffins and pastries, coffee and juice). The breakfast eating area is extremely small, so that is probably why they can't offer much food. However, the hotel was not crowded when we stayed so it wasn't a problem in getting food and finding a place to sit. All in all, it was OK, but I prefer newer accommodations, so if we ever go back to Oxford, I'll search for another hotel first.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxford
Comfort Inn Oxford
The Marcum Hotel & Conference Center at Miami University
Courtyard Hamilton
Courtyard Hamilton
#1 of 1 in Hamilton

Been to Best Western Sycamore Inn? Share your experiences!