“Instant mashed potatoes--really?!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Cincinnati, OH
“Instant mashed potatoes--really?!”
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

After three visits, There is no doubt in my mind that the Outback is far & away a much tastier & better deal. Of course, Oxford is a captured market & Dakota's is it's only steakhouse. Our steaks were always cooked improperly (visited three times)---way overdone. When I questioned the (unpleasant) instant mashed potatoes to the amiable server, he replied 'Oh no, they're from scratch'. I asked him to check & he sheepishly returned saying I was right. A steakhouse with instant spuds---really?! My lemon drop beverage was watery with no hint of spirits.
Dakota's serves a purpose in a college town full of casual eateries. The prices reflect that captured market.

Oxford, Ohio
“Amazing Happy Hour / Outstanding Customer Service”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Dakota's Roadhouse is quickly becoming a local hotspot in Oxford.
My wife and I first visited a few days after their grand opening. We stopped in early in the evening to check out the atmosphere and grab some appetizers. The potato skins, loaded fries, and onion blossom were as good as you would expect from any large chain restaurant. The ribs? Well, they were nothing to write home about. The wings, on the other hand, could have been better. The manager was quick to apologize and gave us a coupon for a free app! Thanks! That was some great customer service!
The dining room is large and clean with a western plains motif, as is the bar area and outdoor patio.
We soon visited again for my Grandfather's birthday. There aren't really any steakhouses in Oxford, so this was an exciting treat. While the steaks are juicy and flavorful, they tend to be a bit tough. You may want to order yours a level less done than you normally would as they admittedly tend to overcook them a bit. The rolls with the cinnamon butter are similar to that of Texas Roadhouse.
I did have a complaint with the Cajun pasta. The Cajun Alfredo was applied very lightly, and what I could taste seemed like they has simply added Cajun spices to an Alfredo sauce. The biggest disappointment I had was with the supposed Andouille that tasted like blackened Johnsonville sausage. I won't be getting that again.
I'm very much looking forward to the Bison burger. I haven't had Bison in over 20 years and I remember it being delicious. I'm excited that it's on the menu.
They have two "house" microbrews that are pretty tasty. I particularly enjoy the Pale Rider. It's a sessionable Pale Ale with a great flavor and a palatable amount of hoppiness. My wife likes the Ignite which is suitable for the not-quite-Bud Light drinkers out there.
DR's happy hour is one of (if not the) best in town. Draft beers are $1.75, including the microbrews! This has become a regular spot for the Friday happy hour crowd.
The customer service in both the dining room and the bar area are out of this world awesome! Keep it up Dakota's! That, combined with your happy hour is enough to keep my wife and I coming back!
So, the food is good (maybe not the cajun pasta). The drinks are good (and cheap). The service is outstanding. And, the room is spacious, clean, and new. Dakota's is quickly becoming a fixture among the townie and student population, and there's nothing else like it in Oxford.

• Visited November 2013