“Sunday Brunch”

The Elms Hotel
The Elms Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Went to Sunday Brunch on Parent's Weekend. We arrived at the restaurant no one to greet us. We stood there for several minutes and then proceeded to find someone and told us to sit any where we wanted. We were told the price of brunch but know one ever told us that coffee and juice was not included in the price until I got the bill. I had 5 people in my party.They only had one waitress for the whole restaurant and the person making the omletes was performing multiple tasks. Terrible service! What were they thinking,it was Parent's Weekend. Should have had extra staff available. Where was the manager in charge!!! I will say that the hotel is in a good location to MU. Not sure I would stay there based on this experience even though we did try to get reservations in advance for the weekend

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 16, 2012

This is not a typical Holiday Inn. It is located in an historic hotel called The Elms. The signage is subtle so keep a sharp eye when you are looking for it as you arrive. The parking is across the street in a 4-story parking structure; hotel guests are limited to the 4th floor, which is NOT covered. I will never come back to this hotel unless there is no other viable choice because of the noise. At one point I actually thought there might be a riot happening in the street. I was on the 3rd floor and it was as if the windows were open, which they were, in a sense, because the hotel has window AC units and the vents are open. The second night I was already exhausted from not sleeping the first night so I complained to the front desk about the extreme noise at 12:30 PM. She told she would "ask the police to sweep the alley." It didn't get any better. I drifted off around 1:30 AM but was then re-awakened and semi-frightened out of sleep by a loud disturbance. It sounded like a riot: aggressive, threatening yelling by several people, objects being thrown against walls, screaming and drunk laughter, scuffling sounds, etc. The clerk informed me that "that's a bar and it's right outside your room." (Room 319) As if that's an excuse. No apology, no offer to help, nothing. I see from other reviews that this must be standard operating procedure. A reputable hotel should not put anyone in such a room. Either soundproof the room or take it out of service. I turned on the fan in the window unit, put in the ear plugs I keep in my carryon for loud airplanes and eventually got to sleep around 3 AM. Both nights were like that--absolutely miserable--and this was in the middle of the week. I shudder to think what it might be like on the weekend or if there was a big game or something going on. From now on we will avoid the Holiday Inn. Next time we visit our student we will try to get reservations at the Marcum Conference Center on campus, which is "never" available. Failing that, I'll go back to the Sycamore Best Western, which is my favorite hotel in Oxford so far. When that is unavailable we usually stay in the northern suburbs of Cincinnati, which is not a bad drive. How sad that the town of Oxford doesn't care enough about its youth or its businesses to enforce basic laws against disturbing the peace.

Room Tip: avoid odd-numbered rooms and bring ear plugs; call 911 instead of the front desk
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Elms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Dear prairiemom,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. It is unfortunate that you were not satisfied with your stay. I apologize for the noise issues you experienced. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Katie J
IHGCare

Reviewed April 14, 2012

Standard Holiday Inn in downtown Oxford. Rooms clean and comfortable. Great access to university and all uptown locations. Rooms can be a bit noisy late at night especially if facing Main Street and student body in party mode. Overall nice addition/option for those visiting Oxford.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Leo15
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We just stayed one night - came in late and left early. Newer hotel which is smack in the middle of Oxford, OH. So if you're visiting MU this is probably your best bet location-wise! Hotel is new, clean, somewhat upscale and rooms were very roomy with small living area/kitchettte. Parking was free across the street in parking garage. Restaurant/bar next door which got a lot of college-kid action later on at night. So if you're visiting MU and want to within walking distance of High Street and the campus this is it. Book early!!! Rates approx $109 for 2Q room on a Thursday night, FYI, with AAA. Not loud for us as it was a "school night".

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank PatienceWonderful
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We have stayed many times at this hotel and it simply is the best hotel in Oxford, but read on. The hotel's location is prime, being directly uptown near all the restaurants and shopping, plus walking distance to campus. It includes rooftop free parking, which is great since parking is at a premium in Oxford. It is also clean, with a courteous staff and a pretty good restaurant, the new M.I.A. It has laundry workout facilities with decent equipment and free internet. The rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable.

Now, for the negatives. The pillows in the room are smaller than a standard size and are simply not comfortable. We ended up using our own which we luckily had in the car. The absolute worst part of the hotel is also its strongest trait; that is being uptown. It is located next to several bars. College students tend to go out late and are boisterously intoxicated at 3 a.m. Simply put, the rooms are very noisy. We have been awakened many times by screaming college kids and it does not seem to matter what side of the hotel we are on. Good alternatives in Oxford are limited, though there are some other decent properties in the area that are far less noisy. As much as we like the property and its location we have decided next time to move a little further away from uptown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room furthest away from CJ's, which tends to the loudest bar surrounding the hotel. t...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Stacey S
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We had a standard king on the alley side of the hotel. The incredibly loud partying across the alley went on until 2:30 in the morning. This was followed by clanging bottles until 3 AM which the hotel night manager exlained as the bars next door cleaning up. Then there was banging around on the floor above us until 4:00 AM. The night manager said that this is to be expected in a college town and you are paying ($170/night with tax) for the convenience of being close to Miami University. He suggested getting an interior room or a standard queen to try to avoid the noise from the alley but said even that side can be noisy. Don't expect a free Continental breakfast for this price either.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sleepless_in_Oxf0rd
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Nice property located in the heart of this college town. Close (walking distance) to restaurants and bars. Clean, comfortable rooms, friendly staff, decent food. Free parking in the deck across the street. One item of note that might be good or bad, depending on your preferences - After traveling all day, I checked in and went downstairs for a beer and snack in the small, non-descript lounge adjoining the restaurant. As I was finishing my food (at 10:00 pm) it appeared to me that the staff was increasing dramatically. There were now roughly 14 bartenders and servers to take care of the 6 patrons in the small bar area. I asked the guy waiting on me about it and he told me that within the hour, I would not be able to move in the place. Sure enough, after another beer, the place was JAMMED with college kids. According to my server, this is the current hot spot for students over 21 who want to dress up and escape the typical shot & beer campus bars on Friday and Saturday nights. Complete with DJ, bottle service, velvet ropes and servers in all black outfits, it is a tiny spritz of Big City Club in this quiet college town. As the only person over 40 (probably the only one over 30) in the place, I quickly finished my beer and went up to my nice, quiet room. Except for when the bar closed at 2:30 and the "boisterous" patrons spilled onto the street four floors below my window, it was a very comfortable night's sleep.

Room Tip: If you don't want a 2:30 am wake-up on weekend nights, avoid rooms that overlook the entrance.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Tribe_TV
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxford
Hampton Inn Oxford University Area
Baymont Inn & Suites Oxford
Courtyard Hamilton
Courtyard Hamilton
#1 of 1 in Hamilton

Been to The Elms Hotel? Share your experiences!