“Not That Bad”
Review of Butler Inn

Butler Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed March 18, 2009

OK it is not the Ritz, alright it isn't even a Holiday Inn. It is an old motel that needs a good handyman. But the basics were ok. It was clean, everything worked except the hot water which would come and go at will. We got the room that wouldn't lock from the out side, we decided that we were not in a high crime area and if they needed our cloths that bad oh well. All the door needs is a strike plate and a couple of long screws. Like I said this could be a nice little place if they hired a handyman.

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank Thumb

Reviewed December 6, 2008

I was in Oxford for fathers weekend at MU. I booked this motel on Orbitz which had it rated 2 to 3 stars, so I was not expecting the 4 seasons. When I checked in they immediately charged the entire stay to my credit card, before giving me the key to the room---which should have been a warning.
The room was dirty. The carpet and bedding were discolored and the only door lock was a push button on the doorknob. Believe me you'll want at least a deadbolt lock if you stay here. After viewing the room I returned the key to the front desk and checked into another hotel. The motel, by the way refused to cancel the charges for the 2 night reservation.
Beware if you book this motel online.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank GuestTraveler5
Reviewed October 28, 2008

Guessing it was built in the 60's and has not seen a renovation since. Slept with my coat over the pillow and checked out promptly at 5 am the next morning . Thankfully the Hampton had a room available. It's a shame, the place has character and potential.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank MoveItMd
Reviewed October 11, 2008

Beware to all who give out their credit card and phone numbers to this place! I made a reservation for a Saturday of parents weekend on the day before the stay. I called early Saturday afternoon to cancel the reservations and was told that I would be charged the full price because I did not give a weeks notice. After a discussion regarding the policy that I was not informed of and is no where on the web page the unprofessional phone attendant admitted he could not find my reservation anyway. He asked me several times for my credit card number to look me up that way. I would not agree to give him the number and hung up thinking there was no way he could charge me a thing. Well he called later that night, the next day and again today-one week later. The caller today said she had a reservation in her book for today-one week later. I was astounded. I called my credit card company to report the matter. I was also advised to call the Better Business Bureau on Monday.

Stayed: October 2008
3  Thank dugnlisa
Reviewed June 6, 2008

We were in town for my sister's orientation/registration at MU, and this was the only place that we found that wasn't booked. We didn't expect it to be very good, but once we got there, it surpassed even our worst expectations. There was a condom wrapper outside our hotel door. The room smelled like cigarettes and death. There was a dirty comb lying on the floor. The air conditioning didn't work too well. The bath tub had gross brown spots on it that they had crudely attempted to cover up with spackling...which didn't even match the color of the tub. And there was a disgusting mess around the drain...not even sure what it all was. They didn't make any attempt to make this place look nice--they didn't even take the time to straighten the lamp shades, which were practically falling off. The worst part was that there was NO lock on our door, because it had obviously been kicked in by someone. All this was too creepy and dangerous for us, so we fortunately got a room last minute at the Baymont Inn across the street. DO NOT believe any of the good reviews of this place--the same person who owns this place also owns the Hampton Inn, which makes it sound like it's actually able to sustain human life--not so.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank jktowns
Reviewed May 15, 2008

I booked late for my sons grauation (May 10, 2008) and the only room available within a 45 minute drive was the Butler Inn. The room reeked of mold and cat urine so we went to SuperWalmart and bought 3 different odor neutralizers to kill the smell. That helped quite a bit but was $8 out of my pocket. The bathroom was tiny and lacked a shower curtain so the floor got soaked while showering. I cannot imagine where they bought the small, superthin towels. Bring your own towels!!! The rooms have recently been painted, there were newer bedspreads and carpeting but the bathroom is still 1950, for 1 person at a time. Do not try to shower in the morning with everyone else--my room ran out of hot water. The rooms face the street so there is a lot of road noise from cars and trucks driving by. Luckily, I packed earplugs. The pillows were rock hard--bring your own. Breakfast was in the check-in office and was serve yourself fruit, muffins and coffee. We passed on these. There is a Bob Evans down the road. For the budget minded, there was a large mini refridgerator in the room. I did not trust walking barefoot or putting my clothes in the drawers.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Miamiumom
Reviewed April 30, 2008

I came down from Michigan for a funeral. I called nine other hotels all were booked. When I called the Hamptons they referred me to this place that was supposedly next door and I could use the Hampton's pool and hot breakfast for $5.00 per person. The hotel is supposed to be cleaned by the Hamptons and have all the amenities. Wrong, never happened and the Hampton is 1/2 mile down the road. I reserved 5 rooms for two nights. Paid top dollar for a hole in the wall. My son's room had used condoms and nasty dirty towels under the bed. My daughter's room had trash under their beds. My niece had pills under their beds, and only one electrical socket worked in the room. Her shower had extremely hot/ice cold water. They were jumping in and out of the tub. My brother-in-law had no electricity in any wall socket. The so-called continental breakfast was moldy muffins and coffee. My sheets were also stained. I called the Hamptons and they did seem to care. I also called the Health Department and they said they don't control the hotel, but if I would send an email they would stop by. THEY SHOULD it was awful! The management would not return any of the money.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank MADMam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxford
Comfort Inn Oxford
The Elms Hotel
The Elms Hotel
#4 of 8 in Oxford
Best Western Sycamore Inn

Been to Butler Inn? Share your experiences!