“The worst hotel EVER!!! Don't do it!!!”
Review of Butler Inn

Butler Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Oxford
ohio
“The worst hotel EVER!!! Don't do it!!!”
Reviewed June 6, 2008

We were in town for my sister's orientation/registration at MU, and this was the only place that we found that wasn't booked. We didn't expect it to be very good, but once we got there, it surpassed even our worst expectations. There was a condom wrapper outside our hotel door. The room smelled like cigarettes and death. There was a dirty comb lying on the floor. The air conditioning didn't work too well. The bath tub had gross brown spots on it that they had crudely attempted to cover up with spackling...which didn't even match the color of the tub. And there was a disgusting mess around the drain...not even sure what it all was. They didn't make any attempt to make this place look nice--they didn't even take the time to straighten the lamp shades, which were practically falling off. The worst part was that there was NO lock on our door, because it had obviously been kicked in by someone. All this was too creepy and dangerous for us, so we fortunately got a room last minute at the Baymont Inn across the street. DO NOT believe any of the good reviews of this place--the same person who owns this place also owns the Hampton Inn, which makes it sound like it's actually able to sustain human life--not so.

• Liked — When we left
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank jktowns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Mentor, Ohio
Reviewed May 15, 2008

I booked late for my sons grauation (May 10, 2008) and the only room available within a 45 minute drive was the Butler Inn. The room reeked of mold and cat urine so we went to SuperWalmart and bought 3 different odor neutralizers to kill the smell. That helped quite a bit but was $8 out of my pocket. The bathroom was tiny and lacked a shower curtain so the floor got soaked while showering. I cannot imagine where they bought the small, superthin towels. Bring your own towels!!! The rooms have recently been painted, there were newer bedspreads and carpeting but the bathroom is still 1950, for 1 person at a time. Do not try to shower in the morning with everyone else--my room ran out of hot water. The rooms face the street so there is a lot of road noise from cars and trucks driving by. Luckily, I packed earplugs. The pillows were rock hard--bring your own. Breakfast was in the check-in office and was serve yourself fruit, muffins and coffee. We passed on these. There is a Bob Evans down the road. For the budget minded, there was a large mini refridgerator in the room. I did not trust walking barefoot or putting my clothes in the drawers.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Odors in the room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Miamiumom
Michigan
Reviewed April 30, 2008

I came down from Michigan for a funeral. I called nine other hotels all were booked. When I called the Hamptons they referred me to this place that was supposedly next door and I could use the Hampton's pool and hot breakfast for $5.00 per person. The hotel is supposed to be cleaned by the Hamptons and have all the amenities. Wrong, never happened and the Hampton is 1/2 mile down the road. I reserved 5 rooms for two nights. Paid top dollar for a hole in the wall. My son's room had used condoms and nasty dirty towels under the bed. My daughter's room had trash under their beds. My niece had pills under their beds, and only one electrical socket worked in the room. Her shower had extremely hot/ice cold water. They were jumping in and out of the tub. My brother-in-law had no electricity in any wall socket. The so-called continental breakfast was moldy muffins and coffee. My sheets were also stained. I called the Hamptons and they did seem to care. I also called the Health Department and they said they don't control the hotel, but if I would send an email they would stop by. THEY SHOULD it was awful! The management would not return any of the money.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank MADMam
Chicago
Reviewed March 25, 2008

We checked in not expecting much (having stayed there while it was The Scottish Inn) and received exactly that. The rooms are spartan and contain only the neccesities: A bed, a bureau, a small table, a TV on a small stand and a chair.

The bathroom is small but functional, although the bathrooms have been hastily remodeled and are now stripped of their baseboard heaters (with the holes in the floor still evident) and our bathtub was a liner that was placed over the existing fixture and provided a springy surface to stand upon.

I wouldn't choose to stay there with the other hotel options closer to the campus and uptown, but it is a place to sleep.

The rates are a little disproportionate ($80/night wknd) for what you receive, but it is an option if the other properties are booked up.

• Stayed February 2008
2 Thank thxcollins
s.w. oho
Reviewed March 12, 2008

our room was dirty, no maid service. ran out of towells and toilet paper. found a chewing tobacco can under bed. had 12" of snow and the sidewalks were never cleaned.

• Disliked — dirty and poor service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank rckdsmom
Ohio
Reviewed November 7, 2005

After arriving at the property I was in great doubt about whether I should stay or not, but I had a 24 hr. cancellation penalty, so I had to spend the night if I did not want to loose one nights room rate. When I checked-in the hotel charged my credit card 2 nights. After getting into the room I knew I did not want to spend a 2nd night at this awful property! I went back to the desk and said I only wanted to spend the one night and not the 2nd. They would not refund the 2nd night no matter what. Do not stay at this property they are very unhelpful and unfriendly to their customers and the hotel it’s self is VERY shabby!!

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business