“Very Disappointed ”
Review of Morning Sun Cafe - CLOSED

Morning Sun Cafe
Cuisines: American
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

I am a recent Miami grad and the last time I was at this restaurant it was Uptown Cafe which had wonderful food. My wife and I went to the new restaurant because we assumed it was just a name change and that they would still have the same great food. The only reason I am giving this a 1 is because I can't give it a zero.

We went about ten AM on a Saturday morning and should have been tipped off that there were no students there (on parents weekend) and very few locals. My wife ordered a pancake and I got the waffle with chicken. The pancake was not cooked, just raw dough in the middle and my waffle could have been a free hotel breakfast waffle. The chicken was clearly a frozen breaded chicken breast that they probably microwaved. I was able to eat mine because at least it was cooked. After waiting for about fifteen min I got up and went to find the waitress to tell her my wife's pancake wasn't cooked. She barely mumbled an apology and then brought another one out fifteen min later. This one was also raw dough and completely inedible. We never saw her again and I had to ask another waitress for our bill. I didn't even tip which I could count on one hand how many times I have done that in my life. We left the whole pancake untouched an again barely got a half hearted apology from the manager (I'm guessing?)

Also while there, I overheard a few locals at the table next to us one of whom got sausage gravy and biscuits. He said it was very bland and he "wished he had gone to bob Evans".

Very sad to see what a once great breakfast spot has become. Avoid this place at all costs. Go to bagel and deli and get a sandwich for the road, go to one of the national chains like Bob Evans or find another local spot but don't waste your time or money on this garbage.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Had a shorter wait but it was still a little crowded. Staff really did not know how to handle all of the people. Food was filling but nothing special. You won't starve. Even though the hostess was out of her depth the wait staff was very attentive. I have never had my coffee cup filled so many times.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

The wait is unnecessarily long, as there are always open tables in this "larger than it looks from the street" place. The servers move in either slow motion or manic pacing, but nothing seems to get done. Tables sit empty but unbussed, and inefficiency seems to be the goal. Not worth the wait for what is really just average breakfast food.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I visit the Morning Sun Cafe often on the weekend after kayaking at Acton Lake at Hueston Woods. The key to success here, in my opinion is getting there before 9am. Between 8-9am is a peaceful, well prepared breakfast in a place that is locally owned. One of the reasons I like it here is that most things are a la carte so that I can get as little or lot as I want that morning.

I have tried the eggs and pancakes and eat at "chains" often (such as Bob Evans). I prefer it here if before 9am for the local approach and not cookie cutter food, decor, and menu.

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Wayyyyy too small of a place web students are in town. Tried to get a seat one Saturday morning and they told me that they were no longer letting anyone in.. No line or anything and some empty tables.. I was turned off after that. Pattersons cafe easily beats this place on all levels.