“Prefect breakfast”
Review of Morning Sun Cafe - CLOSED

Morning Sun Cafe
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I loved this place. Th breakfast was perfect. All of us had the skillet. Not one drop of food was let's on our plates. Also, nice selection of hot Sauce. You have to eat here for breakfast.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Don't go here for brunch-service is VERY slow and the food is okay. I'd recommend Bob Evan's or Patterson's over here!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I desperately want to like Morning Sun Cafe. Their menu is creative, the dining room is humble, and the ingredients are fresh. In a perfect world, this might be enough for me, but it's not, and it's not. Yet, I continue to visit Morning Sun when seats are available and Patterson's is too crowded. And, with every visit, I try a new menu item. Every time, however, I'm disappointed - not in the quality, and rarely the experience - but generally dissatisfied. Maybe it's the occasional bland flavor, or the addition of whole garlic cloves in my burger. Perhaps it's the volume of Miami students hovering over my chair like vultures on weekend mornings. I'm disappointed. Every time. Never have I been as disappointed, though, as the time I attempted to order a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich.
I had exhausted the menu and decided to fall back on a reliable breakfast staple. Breakfast sanwiches, though, weren't on the menu. So, when I placed my order for a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich, I was told that it would please the cooks to make each ingredient (toast and eggs) for me, but that they would be served to me on seperate plates. Toast on one plate, eggs on one plate, and a slice of cheese, on yet another plate. "They are too busy to put it together for you" the waitress said when asked about their methods. Seriously? I've NEVER heard of such listlessness. I suppose I WAS ordering "off the menu". What if I had ordered the breakfast burger? Would my ingredients be spread around the restaurant as well? I mean, isn't it going to take you longer to plate three dishes than to slap the ingredients together into one?
During my most recent visit I ordered the Crabcake Eggs Benedict. This was a great concept. Unfortunately, the product didn't translate as well as the description on the menu. The crabcake coupled with the English muffin was overly starchy and one of the poached eggs was underdone. This was distracting to the hero of the plate: the crab. Perhaps simply adding crab meat to the Hollandaise would showcase the dish's craftsmanship more successfully.
But I digress.
It isn't all bad though. Their hashbrowns are second only to that of Waffle House - perfectly crispy on the outside. Order them with cheese. They'll bring it on the same plate. And, the Italian Sausage breakfast, full of sauteed peppers and onions is a fun and colorful meal to start your day with.
If you catch Morning Sun Cafe when it's not too busy (weekday mornings, or Miami student breaks), you may even enjoy a peaceful breakfast while people watching on High Street, or spending time with friends and loved ones across the table.
Despite the setbacks, I have and will continue to experiment with MSC. I have some misguided belief that one day something will fall into place. Keep trying, Morning Sun. I have faith.

1  Thank IslandTime78
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Oxford's culinary scean is competative to say the least. I'm happy these guys are still rocking! As others have noted, its not a huge place, but it is intimate. It's a little more low key than some of the other places we go for breakfast, so tables aren't hard to get normally. The food is excellent, it's locally owned/operated, and they have a good menu. Can't complain, and I am really happy they expanded.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

This restaurant took over and expanded the space formally occupied by Patterson's (before it moved to Spring Street). They have a really nice breakfast menu - all the traditional items along with some more upscale things (e.g., nice pancake dishes). Their prices tend to be a bit higher than for a similar breakfast at Patterson's. They sell baked items to walk-in customers, but their bakery selection is limited (and, in my experience, modest in terms of quality). They stay open until early evening and serve sandwiches (and a few plate meals) but we have not tried those.

1  Thank jeffsm5111