“Never Made It Past The Threshold.”

Baymont Inn & Suites Oxford
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Be forewarned, this is my most scathing review of a motel/hotel. Our trip here was so bad that we chose to stay 20 miles outside of Oxford rather than the room they gave us.

The motel is a little outside town, so you will need a car to get into Oxford. It is not near much of anything except for a Wal-Mart, but it's close enough to be convenient to most anything since Oxford is such a small town. The motel looks fine on the outside, but that all changes when you walk inside, whether you are concerned about the room, common area or the staff.

The lobby is sparse and there is a slight odor when you walk in. We had made our booking months in advance online. We received a call a week before our stay to let us know that the hotel was experiencing some sort of problem (we found out later it was electrical) and that they moved us to a B&B 10-15 miles away! (All other Oxford motels were sold out). After complaining to Baymont corporate they agreed to provide us a room at the motel. When we arrived we were given a smoking room. No non-smoking rooms were available. They assured me that the smoking rooms were deodorized and that the smell would be slight.

We went up the elevator and walked out and was greeted by a carpet that was in sore need of replacement. The hotel interior was tired and worn. Again, the odor (perhaps mildew) reappeared. I opened the door to the room and was hit by such a strong odor of smoke it was if someone was still in the room smoking. We went back down to see what could be done. We were told that was the only room, take it or leave it and if we left we would be charged for the room since we did not take their "generous" offer of relocating us to another hotel. The woman behind the counter, while not impolite, could care less about the situation.

Again I called up corporate and was told that whether the hotel charged us was up to the hotel since it was a franchise and they have no say in what the hotel does. Unfortunately, Oxford has a horrible hotel problem in that there are just not enough nice placed to stay. However, if you call far enough in advance I would recommend the Holiday Inn (see my prior review of that hotel though) or the Marcum Center. Otherwise, the choices are more like this Baymont, in which case stay at a nice place in the Westchester, Ohio area as its not a bad drive or stay in Hamilton where there are a couple of decent hotels.

My overall concern is not so much that the Baymont had a an electrical problem as things do happen, but rather with how they handled the situation. The lack of maintenance is also a concern which makes me worried about how they maintain the interior of the rooms. We will never go back there and neither should you unless you have no other choice.

Room Tip: If you want a nice room, stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Visited Oxford, OH, recently to look for apartments with daughter attending Miami University in the fall. The price for this hotel was reasonable, so I thought I'd give it a try. Friendly check in with no problems. They corrected a mistake I made about booking a smoking room by accident with no problem. The room had a refrigerator and microwave which came in handy for our drinks and leftovers from dinner. The beds were very comfortable and I had no trouble sleeping. I liked how the TV was on a wall mount that allowed us to adjust the viewing location. Room was quiet and the bathroom was clean. We liked how the sink was outside of the toilet/tub area since there were two of us. The hotel is outside of town, but that's not really a problem since it's a small town.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2012

The location was one mile from the center of town, but since we had a car it was a great place to stay. Rooms were clean, but bathrooms need updating of the plastic tubs. Pool and jacuzzi were clean and we went in both. Breakfast was marginal - utensils were skimpy and selections of cereal and breads very limited. No eggs were offered and the coffee cups were too small and flimsy. There is a Bob Evans nearby for those who would rather have a full breakfast. This is the best alternative to the in town hotels which are only average as well.

Room Tip: pick room away from maids service areas
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank skyjrmom
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We had hoped to stay at one of the properties in the heart of Oxford, but Dad's weekend resulted in no vacancy at the downtown hotels.

We settled on the Baymont Inn and were pleasantly surprised by what we found. The location is only about 3/4 of a mile from the center of Oxford, the rooms were clean, the public areas bright and the complimentary breakfast buffet satisfying.

Our room was only $129 for the night - a good value. I would not hesitate in recommending this fine property. Is it the Ritz Carlton of Oxford? No, but it will be more than sufficient for a brief stay in this college town.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We arrived in Oxford on the weekend of a major swiming competition so several of the hotels were full. The Baymont is a bit on the outskirts of town and, because the main highway was closed due to construction, there was not much traffic. Our room was very nice...a king jacuzzi suite. While we really didn't either want or use the jacuzzi, the room was really a double-sized room with two windows and two air conditioners. Very roomy! There was wireless internet that worked well. The bed was comfortable and the cleaning staff was great. We stayed two nights and told them that we only needed towels and have the wastebasket emptied. We went out for a few minutes and were we surprised when we returned. All towels had been replaced plus more added, and they were new ones, not thin, older ones. The amenities had been replaced with more than were there to begin with and there was extra coffee and tea. The bed had been straightened and the room really looked great! The breakfast at the Baymont is only basic, but it gets you started. The pool was very nice, clean, and a good temperature. The jets in the whirlpool weren't working because the motor was being replaced. A notice on the pool door advised of this issue. The desk staff was very accommodating, both for check-in and check-out. In all, a very nice stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I stayed here after dropping my daughter moving my daughter into her dorm at Miami. The common areas were okay, but my room showed definite sign of wear. When I turned down the bedding, the blanket had dark stain on it and the sheets at holes in them. The bed itself was not very cushioned and uncomfortable. I didn't notice until I was getting out of the shower that there were no full size towels stocked in the bathroom. Not much fun drying off with handtowels! I would not stay here again until they underwent rennovations.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Everyone should be very aware that if you book this hotel online, you will be sent an email confirmation from Wyndham. On that confirmation will be a "Modify Reservation" link. If you need to change the date, as I did, you will need to be very careful not to change your rate and cancellation rules.
I booked a room at this hotel this week -- seven months in advance of my date, and then one day later made the modification to arrive one night earlier. On the next day, I ultimately needed to cancel the reservation altogether and that is when I found that the rate and cancellation had been magically changed to a non-refundable situation.
Caveat emptor? Sure. I am normally extraordinarily cautious and I never would book a non-refundable room. I should have really scoured the site and and I blame only myself. - But the way I will not let this happen to me again is by never booking a Wyndham property again!

Stayed: January 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxford
Comfort Inn Oxford
The Marcum Hotel & Conference Center at Miami University
Courtyard Hamilton
Courtyard Hamilton
#1 of 1 in Hamilton

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Oxford? Share your experiences!