“Very Nice Lodge”

Maumee Bay Lodge and Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Oregon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This is a very nice lodge located in lovely surroundings. We were there for a conference and decided to stay at the lodge rather than make the 1.5 hour drive back-and-forth. The lodge was not busy this time of year (November) so it was not at all crowded, enhancing the enjoyment of our stay. We were checked in very quickly and were able to find our room fairly easily. We had a standard two-bed room as this was seemingly the standard accommodations offered. Nonetheless, it was adequate for us. The room was clean and reasonably spacious with a patio that faced the lake. The amenities, including the WiFi, worked quite well during our stay. The bed was fairly comfortable allowing for a good night's sleep. I tried the restaurant for breakfast. They offered menu service and I found it to be relatively good with reasonable prices. The best part of the lodge was the accessibility to the state park, which offered a hike through wetlands and beautiful views of the bay. There was nothing near the lodge in terms of shopping or dining, but there were some decent options within a 10 - 15 minute drive. The room rate was actually very good (less than $100 per night on average) for what we experienced. Overall, I would recommend giving this lodge a try for a weekend getaway in relaxing surroundings.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
PATRICK C, General Manager at Maumee Bay Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thank you so much for the great review about our lakeside lodge. Being located inside of a State Park makes it so easy to relax and enjoy nature. Just this morning I saw at least 15 deer with 2 of them being bucks. On Friday I spotted 2 bald eagles. Our 2.5 mile boardwalk is one of our biggest attractions. Thanks again for noticing all of our good stuff!

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I recently had my wedding ceremony and reception at this hotel. Many of my guests booked rooms. The very first mistake they made is they did not put us all in the same wing or even hallway. The rooms were expensive and were very medicore small rooms. They make you book through a 1-800 number only in which they messed up my name and I recieved many complaints from my guests stating they couldnt find our wedding room block as they told them it didnt exist on the hot line. This took 6 phone calls too fix as they changed it 5 times incorrectly before I called maumee bay to have the manager call the 1800 number to get it straight. I later found out our names were mis spelled on our contract by maumee bay which led to this. The hotel requires you to purchase a room for the night just for your groomsmen and bridesmaids to change as they dont offer a changing room. After the reception I carried my bride into our suite at 11pm and was greeted by an old lady across the hall yelling at us to be quite and then followed by a hotel worker complaining to us at our door that we were too loud in the hallway. Keep in mind we were just talking at a normal volume as I was carry my new wife to our suite in whats supposed to be a romantic time. We enter our room to be greeted by nothing special from the hotel no champagne no flowers no cards. There was a huge picture that you could tell once hung from the wall that wasent there just screws hanging out of the wall. Also, they put us in a parking lot view room on our wedding night at this hotel which has lake view rooms. After that we then go to join our family in a get together of about 10 people in a room. Walking in the hallway you couldnt hear anything but then upon entering our guests told us that security and park ranger had came in the room stating they were making to much noise opening and closing the door. The park ranger threatened all my guests saying that they will all be kicked out of the hotel and will pay for taxis if they were drinking. He also said everyone will recieve a ticket for disturbing the piece. Keep in mind this wasent a rageing party this was a room full with my grandparents aunts uncles and some cousins. Security then sat outside the room for the rest of the night waiting to hear a noise so they could remove everyone from the hotel after we spent almost 20k getting married at this hotel. So all my guests decided to go to bed to keep from recieiving a ticket. I never got to mingle with all my out of town guests as a result on my wedding day. I couldnt have been more disappointed. My family still jokes to this day about how terrible their stay was. So please save your money and your time. Stay far away from this place. You will be treated way better at litterly any other hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank TravelPro419
PATRICK C, General Manager at Maumee Bay Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to reach out and tell us about your experience. Even though there are 2 sides to every story, you are our guest and only your side of the story really matters to me. I do sincerely apologize for any and all issues that you experienced during your wedding. I’ve investigated the situation and where possible, we have already taken steps to insure that problems like this do not occur in the future. We host about 50-60 weddings a year and the vast majority of them have no problems at all. I truly regret that your special day did not go as you had hoped. Once again, I sincerely apologize for the experience you had. Please feel free to contact me at 419-836-0011 if you have further concerns.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We enjoyed an overnight visit on a Saturday with another couple. We both took advantage of an upgrade to Lake view rooms for a nominal charge. The facility is great and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. We also enjoyed the hot tubs in the pool area which were clean and perfect temperature. We will be looking forward to staying there again as we'll be attending our District Rotary Conference there in May 2014.

Room Tip: Opt for lake view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CatawbaCats

I'm so glad to see that our staff was able to take care of you and your guests. Thank you so much for letting everyone know about our fantastic resort. We have successfully hosted thousands of groups in the past and we'll excited to once again host the Rotary conference in May. Be sure to bring your binoculars since May is an awesome bird watching time.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Spent two nights in 2 bedroom cottage. Beautiful atmosphere. I would consider the cottage more rustic then luxury but suited our needs for a relaxing getaway just fine. The cottage overall was pretty clean but the furniture was a bit worn and the bathroom could use some help. The shower curtain was moldy and too small resulting in a wet floor after every shower. The shower head was pretty old too. A new curved shower curtain rod and wider curtain would make a huge difference. These are simple fixes that mean a lot to guests. Overall though it was good. Had dinner at lodge restaurant and it was very good. Service was excellent. Enjoyed hiking and exploring the grounds. Do a few updates and we would become regular visitors.

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for your comments about our Lodge and Cottages. I'm glad to see that your overall stay went very well. We are looking to start installing new furniture this spring in the cottages. Your other suggestions are very helpful and both our chief engineer and executive housekeeping manager will be working to make the appropriate improvements.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We spent the weekend, arriving on Saturday and Leaving on Monday. Our room had a view of the lake and grounds. The landscape was very well taken care of, when looking out of our patio window it was like looking at a picture. We spent some time in the Lounge for snacks and drinks. The staff was very friendly and made you feel like you were a regular. We had breakfast and dinner in the dinning room. It was near perfect. The food, the view of the lake and the staff made this a very memorable occasion. On Sunday, they had a terrific Brunch and a regular menu. It was great. I would recommend Maumee Bay Lodge to anyone who wants to have a great time.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have a quick entrance to the grounds area.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ralph M
PATRICK C, General Manager at Maumee Bay Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Wow, what a great review! Thanks so much for telling the world about our beautiful resort style lodge on Lake Erie. I will be sure to pass on your kind remarks to the staff. We hope to see you again, soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Spent a weekend with our 7 and 9 year old grandkids and we all had a great time. Very friendly & helpfull staff; quality restaurant with reasonable prices; nice gift shop; very nice pools (indoor and outdoor), comfortable rooms (if only they would have had king or queen beds instead of double). The boardwalk trail was a great outdoor experienc through some really unique and beautiful terrain. Great places to find a nice spot to sit and read throughout the lodge, in front of fires, overlooking the lake etc. Golf course looked like it would be fun to play (links style fitting the terrain). Found no need to leave premises during the entire weekend

We will be back!

Room Tip: Queen or King options in lodge would have improved sleep quality.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank H D F

Thank you for staying with us and writing such a great review. Our lobby space is something that our guests really appreciate. Actually, we have over 2 dozen different sitting areas. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is long but worth the read. We were there October 2013 with our two sons, 5.5 and 3.
First, a general overview. Beautiful state park. Because its October the leaves were changing colors. Saw lots of deer wandering around, and they were clearly used to people/cars because you could slow your car to watch them and they didnt run. Nice boardwalk trails to walk along (pets not allowed on these trails). Overall we had a great time and loved it! Would stay here again. I've included the cons list because I know some of it would be a deal breaker for some people. We didnt find any of it a major issue that would keep us from coming back.

Pros

Stayed in a 2 bedroom cottage, with a loft. Could sleep 2 in one bedroom (bunks) and 2 in the other (Queen bed) and there were 3 twin beds in the loft. For our family of 4 there was plenty of room to move around, and plenty of room for the kids to play when we were just hanging out for down time. Gas fireplace, full kitchen with pretty much everything you need (no dishwasher). Bathroom had bottles of body wash and shampoo/conditioner in the shower (no bath tub), and a hair dryer. Large dining table with 4 chair and a long bench. 2 lounge chairs (not recliners), couch and coffee table. Wifi in the cottage, TV wish DISH. Small deck off queen bedroom. Screened porch of dining/kitchen, larger deck off living room. Lots of area to walk/bike. Outdoor pool with small diving board, indoor pool with small splash pad for kids, and 2 hot tubs. Everyone of the staff we encountered were very nice and helpful. The waitress we had at lunch one day, saw us 2 days later at breakfast and remembered our son's name! Pool was nice for the kids. Shallow end was 3 ft so our older son was happy he could touch. Kids splash area was fun. 2 small hot tubs that were HOT. Outdoor playground for kids is small but decent. Indoor play area wouldn't interest kids over age 6 or 7 I'd say. Small and geared more towards young kids, but nice. Ate at the restaurant for lunch and breakfast, decent food, nothing special. No housekeeping for the cottage but there are dumpsters to take your trash to so it doesn't have to sit inside. The location is fine. If you do plan to go off property for groceries, its about a 10 min drive to Walmart.

Cons

Windows were very drafty and when turning the heat up to accommodate, it gets VERY hot up in the loft. Windows all have the built in blinds with a small nob on the bottom corner you have to turn to open and close on each and every window. Furnace room was right by the bedroom with bunks and was loud every time it turned on. Did not bother our kids but if you have light sleepers in this room they will struggle. No closet space, just very small dressers (think night stand with 3 clothes drawers), and a rack with hooks. Utensils in kitchen could use replacing as I struggled to cut an apple with one of the sharp knives. Dining options off property are pretty limited (I'd suggest driving 30-40 min into Toledo for MUCH better options). There were windows over by the hot tubs and I noticed what looked to be a little green mold around the window ledge (which appeared to need a good cleaning in general). Dont know if its seasonal but the gift shop hours showed it was closed Mon, Tues and Wed. Not sure if this is a pro or con, but there is no house keeping for the cottage. We didnt need anything so I'm not sure how they handle it. End of the property backs up to a public area where hunting is allowed. Because of the time of year we did hear a few gun shots when we were outside of our cottage. The patios at the cottage looked like they could use a good cleaning and fresh paint.

Room Tip: when choosing a cottage, some are very secluded (sit a ways off the road and are surrounded by trees...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
PATRICK C, General Manager at Maumee Bay Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

thank you so much for writing this good review about our cottages and Lodge. By my estimation, the Pros beat out the Cons. Rest assured, our staff is already addressing the cons that you listed. I'll be sure to pass on your nice comments to the staff about the service you received. Thanks again for the comments and we hope to see you again soon. BTW, we are just heading into our value season so you may find some great discounts for the cottages on our website!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oregon
Hampton Inn Toledo / Oregon
Renaissance Toledo Downtown Hotel
Lake Erie Lodge
Lake Erie Lodge
#1 of 1 in Curtice

Been to Maumee Bay Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!