“Very Nice Resort, So Much To Do”

Maumee Bay Lodge and Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Oregon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My family of 3 stayed here in June of 2012. We booked one night on the Internet. When calling to make a reservation, I was told they had a minimum 2 night stay. Did not have this problem when booking on-line. There was so much at the resort to do, that we did not have time to take it all in. My only complaint was that the rooms need updating. The walls were in need of fresh paint, the bathroom door was damaged, the bedding was mismatched and stained. There were spider webs with dead bugs on the walls and in the corners.
The rest of the resort looked great, and the setting and grounds were wonderful. If you are looking for a "beach" vacation, but don't have lots of time or money, try this place on Lake Erie. Their website does not do this place justice. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Restaurant was great, breakfast was yummy.

Room Tip: Rooms on ground floor level have outside patios. Choose a room not near an exit. People tend to st...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 22, 2012

I should preface my "Best Lodge" title by saying that I've only been to a couple, but Maumee Bay is about 10 steps above any of the others.

We traveled there to attend a wedding and were given the best room in the place: an awesome view of Erie and our own private patio. We could watch the sun set in the evening and the sea gulls roam around in the morning. It was beautiful. The room itself was extremely spacious. It had a fridge, which is always important when you're traveling with a toddler.

There were so many activities to enjoy. With a 1.5 year old in tow, we really enjoyed the soft play area and the indoor pool. There was a whole wing of activities for younger people and it was pretty well separated from the rooms as far as I could tell, which is nice for noise. If we had more time we would have taken advantage of the beaches (yes, there are two!), the boating and the bikes. There's a lot to see.

The restaurant had great hours and extremely friendly staff. My husband had a salmon dish that he didn't care for and actually sent it back. Aside from that (personal preference) hiccup the food was always good. There's a separate bar and a coffee "nook" too.

The only warning I'll give is to check the local weather before you get there so you can pack accordingly. We live just a couple hours away but the temperature difference was HUGE because of the lake. I really wished I had pants and a jacket for the evenings.

Room Tip: If you're going for relaxation splurge on the lake view room with the patio. But be prepared to...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank HDasgupta
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I just came back from the resort with my leadership team for a work strategy planning session. Although I did not have the pleasure of enjoying the pool, the views, food and staff were great. I t was absolutely beautiful walking around the resort and they offer lots of amenitites for all ages. The rooms wer a little dated but the view made up for it!!! I plan to go back in a couple of months with the family.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LolaWantz1
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We stayed here for the "Biggest Week In Birding" and had a wonderful time. The rooms were very nice and roomy, we had a view of the lake and the pool area from our room. The grounds were nice, quiet, and extensive, so you didn't have to worry about being crowded with too many people there. The boardwalk on site made for a beautiful and interesting walk. The step area along the lake front made for a good place to view the lake and watch for wildlife. The restaurant was very nice, and service was efficient, we ate there for dinner and breakfast. The staff was helpful and friendly. It was a very nice place to stay and perfect for us in that it was so close to so many great birding sites in the area! It was a good setup for the birding event which had their headquarters there with registration and packet pickup, informational booths, presentations, etc. We did not have time to use the indoor pool and hot tubs unfortunately, but they looked very nice! Will definitely stay here again when I am back in the area!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lifeisagr8adventure
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We've just returned from a birding weekend to the "Warbler Capitol of the World." The birds were great,this hotel was really disappointing.
The only good things that we can say about it are that it's in a good location and it did offer a quiet nights sleep.
Now for the bad things. Not one employee that we met seemed to care about customer service in the least. Check-in, breakfast waiter and check-out...blah, blah, blah. Our waiter at breakfast was Dakota and he truly seemed to only care about getting us out of the restaurant. If fact that's the impression we got from the whole restaurant staff. The food was awful, we were hurrying to move along and cut our losses.
At check out time I noticed a $2 technology fee added to our bill. This was explained as a service charge for phone and internet. So those items aren't really free then?
We won't stay here again. I'm sure that the staff won't care in the least!

Room Tip: Avoid the standard breakfast buffet. It was $8.95 wasted. Go anywhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Ed W
Xanterra, Manager at Maumee Bay Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay at the Maumee Bay Lodge and Conference Center. I appreciate your patronage and would like to offer you my sincere apologies for not exceeding your expectations during your recent stay.

I was saddened to read about the poor service you received while staying at the lodge. As I'm sure you're aware, employees with negative attitudes can have a profound impact on the guest experience. It's unfortunate that this was apparent during your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for this lack of enthusiasm and the affect it had on your stay. I will take the necessary steps to ensure this doesn't happen again in the future.

I hope your recent experience does not prevent you from visiting us again and experiencing our usual high standards of operation. If you return to Maumee Bay, please ask for me so I can personally ensure that your next stay is far more enjoyable.

Patrick Czarny
Maumee Bay State Park Resort

Reviewed May 13, 2012

I took my two kids to the resort this weekend. They LOVED IT!! the resort grounds are beautiful, with docks, a lot of lakefront real estate to walk and enjoy and even though it was the biggest birding weekend ever- the resort didnt feel crowded at all!. My kids ( 9 and 5) loved the indoor pool area and soft play area. The staff was so nice, one of the cleaning crew said "happy mothers day " to me as I walked to check out with my kids. We walked on the boardwalk hike, and also played on the playground outside. we will def. be going back to enjoy the summer outdoor pool and lake swimming. The rooms were a tad dated, for the value, I didnt mind but in a few years they may need an update. Loved the fridge and the gift shop was great! Would. def. recommend it for families and getaways for friends!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2012

This was our 5-day retreat for our "Biggest Week in Birding" event. The room was spacious with a desk and table with 2 chairs, armoir with flat screen TV and a bonus .. small refrigerator. In addition, we had an additional seating area next to the TV that was perfect for piling jackets and conference pamphlets and hiking gear. The shower was awesome...the water pressure was great..very relaxing.

Of course, we also had a balcony with the lake view that was just peaceful. The Saturday night we were there, a young couple was having their wedding with the lake as the backdrop.

We had breakfast and dinner a few times in the onsite restaurant. We thought the food was better than most park lodge restaurants. While you pay a little more to eat in the restaurant, it saves gas, since there aren't a lot of restaurants close by. We walked by the indoor pool, and it looked great. We did not have time to use the pool.

Overall, we would highly recommend Maumee Bay Lodge for couples and families and conferences. We enjoyed our stay, and would stay there again.

Room Tip: We booked a few months ahead of time, and got the 2 double bed room in the "north wing", n...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oregon
Comfort Inn East
Park Inn Toledo
Park Inn Toledo
#11 of 17 in Toledo
Hampton Inn Toledo / Oregon

Been to Maumee Bay Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!