“Different”

Red Chinese Bistro
Ranked #22 of 33 Restaurants in Oberlin
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Does an Asian fusion sort of thing that you don't normally see. Good local place, never busy.

Reviewed October 23, 2011

I have just moved to Oberlin. I went to Tooo three times, once while we were house hunting, once the day after we arrived, and again the following night. Even tho there are several other good restaurants in Aiken. So you can probably tell how impressed I was. The most recent visit was limitted to the late-night menuas it was about midnight (they serve till 1 AM, 2 AM on weekends), We both ordered the self-designed soup (you choose the broth, the kind of noodle, and the main ingredient). My wife's choice of shrimp in shiitake broth with thin rice noodles was excellent, but my meatballs with same broth and thin egg noodles was even better! The meatballs were made with a high quality meat that would have probably been good served as a steak. The broth was very tasty with plenty of mushrooms and plenty of flavor. I think there was ginger and cilantro and something a bit sweet in it. And the noodles tasted like they had been rolled out that morning. The only mistake was ordering two soups - the portions are so generous that one would have sufficed for both of us. The previous two visits we were able to order from the full menu which was limitted in size compared to the typical big-city Chinese menu but nonetheless included a numebr of dishes I had never seen before. The pot stickers sent me to heaven - a subtle combination of flavorings made them the best I have ever tasted!!! Prices are reasonable, except for the "specialty"teas. Tea was the most expensive item on our check at $3.50 per person. Not having looked at the price or the unusual teas on offer, I just asked for jasmine. But I do not regret it. Fare superior to your common Jasmine tea, a fact which became evident once the food came and it shined in that combination. // I gave only 4 stars for atmosphere only bcs it was not ostentatious, but we all really appreciated the zen-like simplicity and calm, with hand-made ceramics providing a nice element to the otherwise understated by very tasteful design. Note: also bar service.

Reviewed June 28, 2011

First of all this is not one of those phony reviews. At first glance of the place from the outside. Your probably gonna say " I don't think so". I did.. But my wife had lunch there with her girlfriend, and loved the food. So as a family we went. Wow! The food is great. I would highly recommend trying their crispy beef. Also another favorite is there cashew chicken .. yum!!! As far as the looks, it okay definitely needs renovating . But I would highly recommend this place to anyone that enjoys great chinese food .

Reviewed March 7, 2011

I often drop in to this place on my frequent visits to Oberlin College and really enjoy the quality of the food (and the prices are unbeatable!) Most entrees are $8 and under and the service is always prompt and cheerful. The location right on East College Street in Downtown Oberlin has almost always been home to a Chinese restaurant and Too Chinoise has far exceed its predecessors in delivering quality and value.

Reviewed January 8, 2008

Nice menu with some items seldom seen outside of China (like Zajiang Mien), hip decor, cheery service, tasty vittles, friendly prices. The
place is a tad care worn and the pork dishes have been sent into exile
(imagine Shitz tou made with chicken), but I would happily return.