“Excellent B&B Option in Oberlin”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oberlin
The Buckeye and the Frog
Ranked #2 of 3 Oberlin B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We just spent a weekend at the Buckeye and Frog and really enjoyed our stay. If you are visiting Oberlin College, the location cannot be better, as the house is right next to campus. The house itself is beautiful, and, as has been mentioned by others, the hosts Janet and Dom are very friendly, but also respectful of as much privacy as you want. The breakfast both mornings was great, and there was home made granola, if you did not want the cooked option. As our son attends Oberlin, we are excited about now having a place to stay right in town.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Janet M, Owner at The Buckeye and the Frog, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

We so appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Please come again!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of touring this grand old home. The owners have made numerous updates and improvements but maintained the charm and character of this historic house. The rooms are well decorated and both have en-suite baths. The location is in walking distance of downtown, Oberlin College and great restaurants. I would highly recommend this B&B as a great place to stay while visiting Oberlin.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your kind words!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I have stayed twice at B&F and simply love it. A gorgeous restored Arts and Crafts home on a beautiful and quiet tree-lined street within walking distance to Oberlin College and town center. Janet and Dom are attentive but non-intrusive hosts with a wealth of local information and wonderful conversationalists. Food is great AND they have a sweet dog named Sonny who stays out of your way but will come to be petted if called (for those of you like me who need a dog fix while traveling). Bedroom was quiet and spacious, and I loved the herb-scented shampoo. All in all, a wonderful place to stay. We will stay here whenever we visit our son (Oberlin student).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank J0hn_McC
Janet M, Owner at The Buckeye and the Frog, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review; we really appreciate it. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had a wonderful weekend at this bed and breakfast. The Hosts were welcoming and breakfast was delicious and plentiful. Our daughter, a student at Oberlin, joined us for breakfast (at a reasonable additional cost) and we had a nice visit. We would stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you, Peter - you will be most welcome!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

i agree with the prior review, Janet and Dominique are to be commended for running the guesthouse while still renovating the property. Here are the pro's and con's. First, great location on a quiet street in Oberlin and a gorgeous, historic building. Wonderful hospitality from Janet and Dominique and a really, really great breakfast. The room was quite nice, although not luxurious as suggested by other reviewers. Only real negative was the surprise that the rooms are not made up, so when we came back from a long day the bed was not made and the towels were still wet from the AM. We don't care much, but were surprised.
Oberlin has very few options for nice lodging so these guys are on the top of my list and i can only imagine it gets better and better. Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Matt S
Janet M, Owner at The Buckeye and the Frog, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2012

Interesting point about the bed and towels. I will confess that I have not personally experienced these services in B&B's where I've stayed, but this could be a nice touch. You and your family were lovely guests and I hope we'll see you again.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I congratulate this B&B for admirably taking on guests while improving the recently acquired property. Its location is so convenient to enjoying both the college and the town it is absolutely a gift to visitors. I had a very pleasant, quiet and comfortable (great mattress!) night in the Buckeye rm. and found the back staircase enchanting and reminiscent of my old family home that also had a back stairway. What I've always enjoyed most about traveling the B&B route is the opportunity to enjoy unique and usually historically and architecturally interesting homes in context. This B&B is a case a point and thank goodness it is being refurbished in a responsble way. Also I couldn't help but notice how attentive the hosts were. This one is definitely worth a repeat visit as I tell my husband.
--Kim

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Thank you, Kim! You know you're welcome back ANY time.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I didn't want to write a review, but thought I'd best provide insight. The plus: very, very close to Oberlin and the town. Walking is best, parking very easy. Be advised: NO AC...the upstairs room was very hot and we couldn't figure out how to open the window. The adjoining bathroom is small and the shower was even smaller. It was difficult not to have a puddle of water on the floor. And it's not that the hostess isn't welcoming, it's that they are new at this and still finding their way. For the money, I've had better B&B experiences. Here's hoping they work the kinks out.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Janet M, Owner at The Buckeye and the Frog, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you for your comments. It's true that we had a very hot spell this summer and we do not have AC in our home. I do wish that you had let us know that you had difficulty opening the windows, as they are quite functional and would have provided cross-ventilation for you. We would have been more than happy to help you with them.

Been to The Buckeye and the Frog? Share your experiences!