“They're new to it”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oberlin
The Buckeye and the Frog
Ranked #2 of 3 Oberlin B&B and Inns
Long Beach, California
“They're new to it”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I didn't want to write a review, but thought I'd best provide insight. The plus: very, very close to Oberlin and the town. Walking is best, parking very easy. Be advised: NO AC...the upstairs room was very hot and we couldn't figure out how to open the window. The adjoining bathroom is small and the shower was even smaller. It was difficult not to have a puddle of water on the floor. And it's not that the hostess isn't welcoming, it's that they are new at this and still finding their way. For the money, I've had better B&B experiences. Here's hoping they work the kinks out.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Janet M, Owner at The Buckeye and the Frog, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for your comments. It's true that we had a very hot spell this summer and we do not have AC in our home. I do wish that you had let us know that you had difficulty opening the windows, as they are quite functional and would have provided cross-ventilation for you. We would have been more than happy to help you with them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My son and I stayed here while he checked out Oberlin College and I explored the place my parents met as students in the early 40s. It was a lovely setting for our trip! The room was beautiful and clean off a front staircase. Breakfast was wonderful in a lovely dining room viewing the yard. An outside deck proved a relaxing place to read and sip the wine I got a short walk away in the main business district in Oberlin. As is Oberlin itself, this place is seeped in history. Throughout my wanderings, I felt I was simultaneously in the Oberlin of today, of the 1940s and of the 1800s. The Buckeye and The Frog was the perfect setting for this script! Our hosts were lovely--a pleasure to get to know. If my son goes to Oberlin, I will have many more visits with both the Buckeye and the Frog! ~Stacey

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Stacey M
I'm so glad you enjoyed the historic aspects of our town and our home. It's one of the things we like best about Oberlin, too. Please come back!
NY
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My daughter and I were in Oberlin to visit the College, but we would come back for any reason at all. We had a beautiful room and a great breakfast, and the town is steps away. No problem with keys and certainly no problem with stairs. But the best thing of all was our hosts, who left us feeling that we'd stayed with a wonderful family or good friends--they looked after us but also left us to ourselves.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Janet M, Owner at The Buckeye and the Frog, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
You and your daughter were a pleasure to have as guests! Thanks so much for your kind words. We hope to see you back in Oberlin and/or in NYC in the near future.
Athens, GA
Reviewed July 23, 2012

You can tell from their blog that the owners are still figuring out how to welcome guests and balance their own time and space. We were disapointed with the small stuffy "buckeye" room which is only accessible by the steep and twisting back stairs. The doorway to these stairs is often locked and we were not given a key. Lighting on the stairs is also an issue. The house seems like it must be lovely but we were relegated to out tiny room or the porch. The interior rooms highlighted in their blog are closed to guests. There is a demand for rooms in Oberlin. I wish the owners luck getting it worked out

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank fishlab
Thanks for your prompt review of your stay with us. While we can't do much about our back stairs without restructuring our old home, we can certainly make it known to prospective guests that they will need to negotiate a stairway so that those who have trouble with stairs will be forewarned. In fact, none of our downstairs rooms is off limits to guests but they will be much more comfortable and presentable once our renovations are complete. The Buckeye and the Frog is a work-in-progress and your comments will be taken into account as we continue to improve.
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stayed at this family-run B&B for 2 nights this month. The host was very friendly and helpful, and my room was very clean. The hotel is only 5 minutes' walk to Oberlin College and the town centre. Breakfast was the tastiest I've ever had. I enjoyed every moment of my stay here and will definitely stay there again next time I visit Oberlin!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Enpei
Janet M, Owner at The Buckeye and the Frog, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay here! Best of luck with your piano studies. We'll look forward to hearing a concert one day.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oberlin
The Hotel at Oberlin
#3 of 11 in Elyria
Days Inn Amherst
Days Inn Amherst
#1 of 2 in Amherst

Been to The Buckeye and the Frog? Share your experiences!