“Good & Bad - Depends on Event”

Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Norwalk
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I will try to be brief because I've had positive and negative experiences.

Attending the classic car show, Blue Suede Cruise: We drive our old cars INTO the event. There's no waiting to park. Friendly staff is at the gates checking credentials. We bring our EZ Ups, food, grill, beverages, etc and can park anywhere we want. "Roping off" is allowed overnight to save your spot. It's a good time! Show has gimmicks like the concert, free bbq, swap meet, Women's World, Neon Parade, etc. Lots of cool cars '72 & older cruising the blacktop. Portapots are plentiful but, everyone I talk to wishes they would build a REAL restroom on the other side of the track. Grade: A +

Any other Race event: The heat and reflection in the grandstands is unreal. My legs rec'd a sunburn THRU my blue jeans. Got dizzy and light headed. Staff continues to announce to buy extremely expensive beverages to "Keep your electrolites up!". Difficult to even get to the concessions or up and down those stairs. Yes - it's LOUD. Event ran long. It took hours to leave. Our row never moved so, husband off-roaded and drove aggressively in desperation. (After that long in line we were hungry and had to use the restroom again.) Grade: C -

No matter what bring: Comfortable shoes, sunscreen and cash. Even a hot dog here is $3.50 and items go UP from there. Iced tea is $6.00. Event t-shirts $22. Silver sterling necklace charm $75. It's nuts.

1  Thank Pineapple62
"nhra"
in 19 reviews
"spectators"

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Burnt to a crisp on the hottest racing day in NHRA history, but loved every minute. This is a well organized park and very nice quality in every aspect from concessions to bathrooms! Parking was free.
However next time we won't pay for 'best' seats available. We will just do grandstand. With the heat we were up and down too much. Our seats were in the middle of the row AND the seating is for not so average American bottoms anymore I guess as we were squished. For us those seats were not worth the $$$ for sure. We want to be down the rumble and thunder anyway.

1  Thank LoveKYlivn
Reviewed July 9, 2012

When going to the raceway, keep in mind you are going to a race. You will be walking a lot, there are lots of people, and parking is basically in fields. Bring what you need to bring: sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, ear plugs, and a cooler if you like. Make sure you visit the venue's website for the rules. I did have a good time. The earplugs helped a lot. The only thing that bothered me (this was my first NHRA event) was the vibrations. Our seats were right in front of the starting line. For those that do not like the lines for exiting, bring a cooler to keep in the car with sandwiches, etc. Tailgate and have a good time instead of getting frustrated in the traffic which is inevitable.

1  Thank Angie_Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was our second trip to Norwalk for the NHRA drags. It would be really great if the owners would install an extra restroom or two instead of renting all those 'portajohns' which I consider unusable - therefore will wait in a long, long line of ladies for a real restroom with flush toilets and running water. There is ONE (yes, ONE) ladies restroom at this facility where 1000's of people are! It would also be wonderful if they could consider their audiences and install some kind of protection from the sun/rain, etc. It was really hot this past weekend and while I realize they cannot control the weather it was unbearably hot in the stands - therefore we did not come back on Saturday for the big day - very disappointing. I enjoy the cars and the show, but hope that they can do something about providing some cover for their paying customers. Cooling stations (fans that send out a mist of water) set up throughout would also have been an idea to help their paying customers cool off. Although they say they will consider your 'issues' and work to resolve them; after my second visit to Norwalk in the Summer without seeing any changes whatsoever to aid in the comfort of their customers I'm thinking this is not the place to be on the 4th of July weekend when it's most likely going to be torture to sit in the stands - and no place whatsoever to get a break from the heat.

2  Thank MichiganQui1ter