“ummmmm.....not good to say the least”

Extended Stay America - Cleveland - Great Northern Mall
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in North Olmsted
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We found this "hotel" online and from the other reviews and the good price, I assumed we would be fine. We arrived late Wednesday night 11/21/12 and found it strange that there weren't many cars in the parking lot. Don't get me wrong, the hotel is located in a very convenient area. Close to a mall, restaraunts, ect. However the man working the desk (I think his name was Joe) was a little rude up until I asked what his name was. The front lobby seemed a little sketchy and already made me feel uneasy and nervous. It turns out according to Joe that this is an extended stay hotel and some people have been living there as long as 6 years! We get to our room on the second floor and it is a spacious studio. There is a flat screen tv and a kitchen. The bathroom was dirty. Hair and dirt on the toilet seat. Gross stains on the couch. If you cut the light on in the kitchen, the refrigerator would buzz very loudly. The sheets clearly had not been changed on the bed. I immediately called down to the front desk and our room was changed to another one a couple of doors down. It was supposed to have been a non-smoking room but you could definately smell that there had been smoking. This room was cleaner than the first one but still just very uncomfortable (thank God for our Lysol). The toilet kept backing up and when we called down early the next morning to have someone fix it, they said there was no one who could come up but I could come down and get a plunger. I came down and one of the ladies who turned out to be housekeeping ended up bringing a disgusting plunger with dried tissue on it up to the room for US to plunge! That was pretty much the last straw and we spoke to the young lady at the desk, who was very nice and understanding and allowed us to check out without penalty. I'm sorry this was just not a good stay or experience. I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Pick someplace else...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager-BKL, Manager at Extended Stay America - Cleveland - Great Northern Mall, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear Devon M,
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that your stay was anything but perfect. I have taken your comments and have shared them with the staff to ensure that the issues you had do not happen again in the future. If I may explain the condition of the lobby/office area, at that time the lobby was being renovated and has since been completed. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at cno@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The Price was right. Quisha at the front desk was great. No complaints. The rooms were a little dated, but very clean and fresh-smelling. Close to the site of my meeting, close to the Mall, good restaurants within an easy distance. Quisha gave great directions to a good Mexican restaurant. I'll stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want. I was able to get exactly what I needed. Bring ear plugs. I generally hear ot...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Manager-BKL, Manager at Extended Stay America - Cleveland - Great Northern Mall, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear vlb55,
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to thank you for your kind comments about our hotel and staff. I'm thrilled that you were pleased with the cleanliness, location and customer service. I will make sure the Quisha sees your compliment I know they mean a lot to her. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Very friendly service. Queesha at the guest service desk was great. The room was immaculate and even smelled clean. Stayed at a red roof the night before for the same price and the experience was unfriendly, room smelled and wasn't very clean.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Cleveland - Great Northern Mall, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to write such a great review. I'm so pleased to hear that you found the service to be top-notch and that our staff was able to provide you with 100% satisfaction. I will be sure to pass along your kind comment about Queesha. She will be so happy to hear it!

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

even tho the property is older, we had a clean room and the personnel was very friendly and helpful. I have stayed here many times and is has been convenient to any place I need to go. The airport is very close as well. Cudos to the management for the fine service.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Manager-BKL, Manager at Extended Stay America - Cleveland - Great Northern Mall, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Chris G,
Thank you for your great review of our property and the staff. It's great to hear that that you enjoyed your time here with us and that you continue to stay with us. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Helpful and friendly staff made the my experience for me. The great monthly rate, too!

Room Tip: Queen suite hard to beat
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Manager-BKL, Manager at Extended Stay America - Cleveland - Great Northern Mall, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear LostTourist61,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that your stay was more than expected and the great comments about the staff. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed November 30, 2010

Clean, Spacious, Quite Rooms. It was nice to have a full kitchen available. The price was right also.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Manager-BKL, Manager at Extended Stay America - Cleveland - Great Northern Mall, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2010

"Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Studio Plus Cleveland - Airport - North Olmsted. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We were among the first in the industry to identify a need for a fully functional hotel suite, complete with range top and full refrigerator. We know that this offering is compelling because of the continued compliments we receive from guests like you.

Reviewed July 26, 2010

I only lasted one night in this hotel. My room was fairly clean but smelled of french fries. Trash piled up on the weekend in the hall trash cans and by the stairwell exits--very disgusting to keep having to walk past it. Someone was cooking at 11:50 p.m. Sunday and smoke & odors poured out into the hall, crying children from the same room was visible walking down the hall. I had to put a towel by the door to avoid the smell but it was still hard to sleep. For someone who needs to get up early on a Monday for work you may want to stay clear of this property. And seriously--why do you charge for internet service at this chain? I can get free internet at McDonald's and Burger King for the price of a cup of coffee, but spend $50 or more on a room and you add it on top--'ridiculous!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Manager-BKL, Manager at Extended Stay America - Cleveland - Great Northern Mall, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2010

"I recently received a copy of your review of the Studio Plus Cleveland - Airport - North Olmsted. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

It is my pleasure to provide an explanation regarding the issue you described. Every part of our hotel, from the in-room features, to the design of the guest room hallways is an integral part in creating a ""home away from home"" experience for our guests. Since we recognize that a quiet, relaxing environment is critical to this goal, we have several systems to ensure that noise from within or outside the hotel doesn't interfere with your stay. Although rare, there are instances where a guest may hear noises from the surrounding area. Whenever we are informed of such disturbances, our standard procedure is to promptly identify the source of that disturbance and resolve it. I take full responsibility that we were unable to resolve this situation to your satisfaction during your stay.