“Great place and service”

Punderson Manor Lodge and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We had a great stay and very relaxing. We wanted a quiet get away and this was the perfect place for it. The only issue we had was that there were no towel racks in the bathroom. Fall would be a perfect time for this because of the scenery. Our kids are all grown and gone, so we had a great time just hiking and lots of walks. The lake is much nicer; looks like they have taken better care of the beach area than in years gone by.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon B

Reviewed August 20, 2013

...or passing through and need a stop, check it out. Old, but clean and comfortable with a solid breakfast and great indoor pool area. The room I rented reminded me of a state park lodge room, nothing wrong with that. Very rural area to say the least. Ask to check out some the suites if they are vacant, I think they are haunted... There is an alpaca farm nearby that is certainly worth a visit. I visited in May 2011, and I am sure it is simply older but maintained by the same standards. "Very Good" in consideration of the aforementioned.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Abby G
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We just returned from a stay at Punderson Manor Lodge and we were a bit disappointed. First the good points were the rooms were accurately described they were clean and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was nice but there were no towel racks in the bathroom and it was small. There was a sink and closet outside bathroom.
The views from the decks outside of the indoor pool area were nice but you could not return to the inside through the doors as they locked behind you, leaving you to walk down deck stairs and around the building to re-enter??
The dvd player in the room wouldn't work, we were a little bummed but oh well we were here to enjoy the outdoors anyway. We stopped at the front desk to sign up for the geo caching which is advertized in their video. They said we could not do it because they didn't set it up anymore...O.k. I said, can we play Tennis? They said they had to look for the rackets and balls. After about 1/2 hour they said they didn't have any, so that was out. We then asked about the corn hole game and they said it wasn't set up for us to use. At this point I was a little upset, but we opted to try the disk golf. She did have the disks, but no instructions or maps of the course. She said they should be at the course, but after driving to the course there were no instructions. We winged it and tried to have fun anyway, which it was. Along the course we ran across a sign that had the general rules. My words of advice if you choose to play, be prepared with long pants and gloves, their is a lot of poison ivy everywhere. Another positive was that we were able to borrow board games from the front desk, and did have fun playing Uno, Sorry, and Yahtzee.
The locker rooms at both pools were dated and the outdoor ones smelled moldy. Attention should be paid to these areas, especially the outdoor pool lockers.
If you plan on mountain biking, forget it! They have trails to hike, but do not allow bikes on ANY of the trails! I brought my bike for no reason and was really bummed. Come on Ohio, give us some trial access! Th kicker is that they have a big banner at the Beebe memorial that say, "Get fit naturally in ohio state parks" with a guy riding his mountain bike. What an insult to injury, I just had to laugh. When we were at the Salt Fork State Park in Ohio earlier in the week, we ran into the same "No Bikes" issue. Tons of Horseback riding and hiking trails, but bikes not allowed??? Seriously???
The staff never smiled and were not very helpful. We opted to eat outside the resort when we saw no action going on in the dining area so we cannot comment on the food. Mangia Mangia, a local Italian restaurant was great. Best wings and chicken parm ever!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed for only one night, but it was very enjoyable. Service was extremely friendly throughout the Manor.
The room was very nice and having the dvd player was a plus. The beds were comfortable. The pillows were a bit flat, but they provide extras.
We did not get a chance to use the outdoor pool, becuase it was too cold out, but the indoor pool was wonderful. It's the perfect temperature and it overlooks the lake, so you get a nicer view than from the outdoor pool. There were also locker rooms right next door.
At brunch, the food was mediocre, and I would have liked more vegetarian options. Also, we arrived early, before the carving station and make-your-own-omlette stands were up, but were still charged the full brunch price. The view was beautiful, though, and it was nice to get to relax and eat before the rush.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We went to Punderson for our family reunion. Our cabin was better than expected - A/C and heat included. 2 pools - both very nice! Plenty to do with volleyball, shuffle board, horseshoes, boating/fishing, etc. We have 4 older children and they enjoyed themselves. Overall, we were pleasantly surprised and are planning a return next year!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had our family reunion and about 55 guests, some stayed in the manor and some in the cottages. We ALL loved the grounds, pool, trails, everything Punderson had to offer. The younger kids loved the camp fire, swimming in 2 pools,playground, fishing! Wonderful memories made!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

A weeklong stay here always leaves me wanting more! My family & I have been vacationing here for almost 20 years in both the Manor (lodge) & cottages, in summer, fall & winter. Each year we look forward to seeing what improvements are made. Cottages are rustic but clean with new furniture, linens & appliances, well maintained & roomy, complete with all amenities (air conditioning, full size oven & frig, microwave, coffeemaker, pots & pans & plates, tvs & dvd player). With hiking, biking, swimming (beach, indoor & outdoor pools!), archery, golfing, kayaking, fishing, plus scheduled activities . . . there is truly something here for everyone of all ages! Even rainy days are not a problem with beautiful views from screened in porches or sitting rooms, dvd players in the rooms & cottages, & board games available at the front desk. I first came here with my 3 young very active boys, now with my great-niece & nephew, but have been here for a romantic weekend, as well as some R & R by myself & with friends for a quiet retreat. This year I brought my dog & stayed in a handicap accessible cottage, which had a huge bunk room with big dressers & area to hang clothes, but the master bedroom & bathroom had no where to hang anything - no hangers or hooks. But my niece with her children had more than enough room in the spacious bunk bed room (4 beds, 3 dressers, open closet). My favorite memory is the lightning bug show at night - they lit up the trees like Christmas lights & rivaled the area 4th of July fireworks that we watched from our cabin. I would definitely recommend a stay here & personally look forward to returning!

Room Tip: Hillside cottages offer the best views of the lake and a more peaceful experience of the natural bea...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newbury
The Aurora Inn Hotel & Event Center
Glidden House
Glidden House
#13 of 38 in Cleveland
Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Beachwood

Been to Punderson Manor Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!