“Nice Place”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newark
rozella82
“Nice Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

The place was very nice and ver clean, the water park was very nice and the kids loved it! The only problem we had is when i booked the room it was sposed to have 2 queen beds, when we arived they told me they didnt have my room type open and they would have to give me a king bed and a sofa bed, i was a little upset because i was traveling with 3 children, myself and my husband. The room was kind of small but we made it work and they made up for the mistake by giving us an additional water park ticket that we didnt have to pay for. The food at the resort is a little pricey but you dont really have a choice unless you want to drive a little out of the way because there is nothing in newark. But they do have options there is a food place in the water park and a resturant for a little nicer sit down meal, where we had breakfast and it was very good. Also right out room door which was on the main floor was a beautiful pond with ducks that you can feed that was nice also. All in all it was a nice place to stay and the kids loved had a great time!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Batavia, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

We had stayed at this establishment a few years ago, just before the waterpark went in. We were totally thrilled with the friendliness of the owners, the staff, the layout of the rooms, the overall comfort of the stay, the room service and the food.

This past weekend, we decided to spend our anniversay by re-visisting the lodge, hoping for another memorable stay. I was so dissappointed, I just felt I should relate how different it was!

The bed was was too soft and well-used, we both woke up with a back ache plus a stiff neck from the pillows that are like large hard wads of who knows what?

To my dismay, I learned that someone has found a way to press newspaper to a rediculously thin state, almost invisible, and call it toilet paper and tissue.

The whirlpool was a wonderful touch and the shower head was nice, but it was almost impossible to regulate the water temperature with the sloppy control.

The TV in the bedroom didn't work right, with or without the remote control, and even tho' the maintenance man gave it a try, he thought he would have had to change cables to try to get it clear. And he was willing to do that, but I really didn't think it would help. The channels wouldn't lock in and programs were continuously lost. Plus the remote wouldn't turn the set on and off! What good is it if you have to get out of bed to shut it down?

The worst part is - the food from the restaurant is so overpriced, a family of 4 would have to save up for a year to visit for one night! Go out and get something! Save a bundle!

The quality of the food was pretty good, (with the exception of potatoes that were said to be a chef's creation and the horrible, horrible cheesecake), but the prices were from outer space! And I have to tell you that cheesecake had to be over 2 weeks old! It was the gummiest, driest, most horrible dessert I have ever had anywhere! I would have fed it to the ducks, but was afraid it would kill them. Also, any extras we ordered were left off the room service order, but they of course didn't forget to add a 20% gratuity, which I prefer to reserve for the highest service, which I don't feel we received, since we had to call back down to get the rest of what we ordered.

Add the cost of the food to the crazy base price now being charged for the rooms (in the middle of landlocked Ohio), and I am surprised the are still functioning in the midst of this recession. My AARP discount saved me a whopping $3!!!

The management needs to come down to earth! The place is pretty, and could be considered "quaint", but just because there is a waterpark next door, shouldn't make it cost more than a week in Orlando! Whoever said it was a great value really couldn't travel much.

Still a pretty place but now way overpriced and very disappointing.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Monkeymom46
Fayette City, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2009

We got a great deal from Travelzoo and took our son to the CocoKey Resort Waterpark, located at the Cherry Valley Lodge, for his birthday. The boys had a great time at the waterpark and my husband and I enjoyed the hot tub and swimming pool. The room was very clean and we had plenty of towels and pillows. We will probably go back in February and take the grandchildren.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Orange Park, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2009

Cherry Valley is a very nice, clean and interesting place with an indoor water park open all year round. The rooms face an interiour small lake with wildlife that comes up tio the rooms to get something to eat. It is located about 20-30 miles from Columbus down Route 16. Through some of the prettiest farm country in the world.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

We stayed at the Cherry Valley Lodge on our visit to the CoCo Keys water park. The room we were given was below average. We had to wait forever for the extra bed to be delivered...it was almost bedtime before it arrived (and we requested it at 11:30am and on our reservations) The carpet was buckling (tripping hazard), wallpaper was pealing, the bathroom was dirty (gross). We considered leaving and driving back home but due to a minor accident with one of the kids decided to stay the night.

One BIG plus was that the management were very helpful when we talked to them before checking out. We were graciously comped for the hotel part of our stay. However, if we decide to go back to CoCo Keys water park....we will NOT be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank CleOHIOMommy

Travelers are raving about these Newark hotels

ettelocin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2009

Every time I visit Newark I stay at the Cherry Valley Lodge. The rooms are large and comfortable, and the common areas are beautiful. In particular, the inner courtyard with a pond and ducks is beautiful and always done up for the season. I recommend requesting a room facing the courtyard.

It is also very affordable - I never pay more than $100.

One caution is that each time I reserve a room via their website, they never can find my reservation. You may want to call ahead to confirm and bring a print-out of your reservation.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Baltimore Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2009

We just returned from a 3 day trip to Longaberger in Dresden, Cherry Valley Lodge was very convenient and a good choice. There were 18 people in our group and they did a fantastic job, keeping us together on the 1st level. The rooms are roomy and were very nice and clean. The gentleman at the front desk was very helpful and all our questions didn't seem to bother him at all. If I went back on my own I would stay there again. The dinner there one night was impressive but the breakfast was just ok. Look no further...

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio
Buxton Inn
Buxton Inn
#2 of 2 in Granville
Holiday Inn Express Newark-Heath

Been to Cherry Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!