“First bad review I've ever written.”

Cherry Valley Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newark
Cleveland, Ohio
“First bad review I've ever written.”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed here this summer for a softball tourney that took place in Zanesville. What a mess!
Yes, the facility is dated, but that is the least of its worries. Most of our group (we had about 10-12 families with us) had issues.
One woman in our group was told her room was not ready. She waited and then checked with the front desk again after watching other customers receive keys and head off to THEIR rooms. When she was finally given a room, there was black mold in the shower/tub area and she had to get a new room.
What was most disturbing was the fact that there was a male employee that hung around the pool and hot tub area while it was full of our teenager daughters. I actually watched him for some time as he just stood from outside the pool area looking in. Then, he'd walk away and return about an hour later and do it again. He was just standing and watching - not working, not doing anything. When I asked him to move on because he was making the girls uncomfortable, he said he was maintenance and he had to make sure the hot tub level was ok. WHAT?
When the desk manager came to talk to me, she told me he was security and that other guests had complained about men at the pool, so this guy was watching for problems. I told her that he had a completely different story, to which she didn't respond...except to say that he couldn't be doing anything wrong because his wife worked at the hotel too. WHAT??
When I returned home, I sent an email from the hotel's website that fell on deaf ears. I also sent a hard copy to the owner of the hotel. We stayed there in July. It is not September and I have received NO RESPONSE regarding my email/letter.
Unprofessional, unethical, unbelievable!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mercuris
Larry M, General Manager at Cherry Valley Lodge, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Mercuris,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your unfortunate experience at Cherry Valley Lodge. I arrived here last week and I will review your concerns and use your feedback to improve the quality of service at CVL. I take your comments seriously and will do my best to avoid these occurances in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Akron, OH
Reviewed September 16, 2013

just came back from 2 nights along with 4 other family couples and lets just say their reservation system is a mess. It became the joke of the weekend as we were told upon check-in that we didn't have the correct number of rooms for Friday night and they had no reservations for Saturday(we made 4 room reservations) and oh you're group was a "no show" on Thursday( we didn't make any that's why). Told another in our party when he went to ask about breakfast vouchers and when given the name and room number the front desk said that he wasn't even I that room! He laughed and said the key worked and he slept In that room the night before.
The other issue are the rooms- looks like re-done in 1985, many lamps not working, cobwebs in an obvious spot maids could see, smoking smell in the room, worn carpet.
Not a place for couples but maybe for families visiting the waterpark that don't care about how the place looks. I wouldn't pay more than $100 a night but I wouldn't stay there again anyways.

Room Tip: the suite used by our parents to entertain the group was in much better shape.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tdohio

Travelers are raving about these Newark hotels

ohio
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Room large, comfortable. Could use a thorough cleaning & updating. Wallpaper coming off in bathroom, drape valance had cobwebs. Staff helpful & accomadating. Landscaping needs done to take advantage of the beautiful area.

• Stayed August 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have read alot of poor reviews, but I'm not sure why. I had a wonderful expierence, as did the rest of my guests. Cherry Valley Lodge was a perfect destination for my intimate wedding of only 25 people. We fit perfectly in the Library that has its own private courtyard, where we held the ceremony. The banquet staff was very accomodating and professional....I even heard compliments from my guests on their attentiveness and attitude. I also held a party near the waterpark in the evening and the staff was great! Very pleasant and helpful. The grounds are beautiful and green! We walked for some wonderful pictures on a nearby footbridge. I can't say enough about the mature greenery....the florest I had ordered flowers from failed me and I was forced to pick a bouquet from the trees and plants in a nearby field...I still receive compliments on my bouquet, it was gorgeous.

The hotel accomodations were great, with spacious rooms and quick maid service. Everyone loved their room. I will note, this is not a brand new hotel, and it is quite large, some of the reviews complain about some minor repair issues, I rate a hotel on how quickly they fix a complaint. The reason they have repair issues is that they are always packed with very happy customers that obviously don't bother to comment here.

That being said, I will say that the front desk staff manager and staff could use a few lessons on customer service. I do give them grace because they were bombarded every moment with people from every angle. I know even the nicest individuals crush under this kind of overwhelming responsibility. The phone was always ringing and there never seemed to be enough staff to handle the demanding customer service workload.

Other than that, the rest of the staff were delightful. The resturant service is slow, but this is mid-Ohio, and hopefully you want to relax with no reason to rush. I found the servers to be very nice. I stayed for 2 nights as did most of my guests, during the busy season and while other events and weddings were going on. BUT we all enjoyed our stay, the kids loved the waterpark and I did not hear one complaint. We all plan to revisit for a reunion.

I highly recommend this place for intimate weddings as it was difficult to find an all-in-one location that could comfortably fit under 45 people and treat us like we had 450. Even the food was served hot and to order.

Room Tip: Loved the courtyard view, especially if you are there to conversate with friends and want to feel li...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I think this is a wonderful lodge. The Coco Key water park was outstanding for our 8 year old son. He played for hours in the water park. We had a wonderful time and the staff and facilities were excellent. I would recommend this for families for sure! We upgraded to a suite which made it even better!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a suite...worth a few extra dollars.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Chillicothe, Ohio
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Don't pay for a "courtyard view" - not only is there not much to see (very little flowers) paying for this results in not being able to see anyway. We had a nice view of a tree. Nothing more. The bathroom door was off the track and weighed about 100 lbs ...we had to change and use the bathroom without a working door. The 'on demand' TV didn't work the entire time we were there.

I paid $179++ for this "courtyard view" room. It was worth $89 or less. My wife and I will not be returning to Cherry Valley Lodge.

I do have to say that a few staff were polite but most were new. As a manager this is a tell-tale-sign that bad things are happening at the lodge. If 90% of the staff are new then something is NOT right.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank m2kguy
Reviewed August 10, 2013

After checking the website for Cherry Valley Lodge and finding nothing informative- I called the Lodge itself to get some information.. Gentleman that answered the phone was very rude and unprofessional.. After speaking with him- We decided to take our family elsewhere. Horrible customer service!!!!

Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Taradillon09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio
Buxton Inn
Buxton Inn
#2 of 2 in Granville
Holiday Inn Express Newark-Heath

Been to Cherry Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!