“Had a great stay!”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newark
Mt. Pleasant, PA
“Had a great stay!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I always check TripAdvisor before going to a new place to see what we're getting ourselves into, and this place sounded like a disaster. We had a half off offer with friends that included 4 waterpark tickets so we were committed. I thought "how bad could it be?" I am happy to report that it was a GREAT experience.

This place is really pretty, and we liked the little playground behind our parking lot. The rooms were really nice, with a balcony. I really wish that there were some way to securely lock the balcony from nosy 3 year olds, because we had to move the furniture against the door at bedtime. I liked how large the room was, and the L design made it feel almost like 2 rooms. Our room was clean and quiet.

The staff was friendly - every time we left the room there was a housekeeper walking the hallways, and they always smiled and said hi to my son. They were not rude like some other people have posted. The front desk crew did seem a little overwhelmed with a line but I was patient and had no issues.

We would come back here - it was a good experience. I'm not sure if others were expecting a more high class resort experience or something without kids, but I would say that if you have a family this is a nice place to visit.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank jaimewvu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Lake Milton, Ohio
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Water Park is great for kids less than 14. It seems they are struggling to keep this water park open, so it is not very crowded. The hotel is somewhat just above average if you look at the rooms only. They are clean but dated. This place has management issues even though I had no problems myself, it was evident upon check in. They just seem a notch or two less than professional. Can't even get a do not disturb hanger for the door. BUT the grounds are beautiful, it has two courtyards, it is off the beaten path , quiet and peaceful. The main lobby area is really impressive and leads out to a court yard with a pond and a gazebo. I passed a lot of nooks off the halls where you could have meetings or parties, one looked like a private court yard. The indoor pool has so many sliding doors that open , its almost a covered outdoor pool.
Whoever built this place had great ideas. It just needs a good management team and to find its identity. My grandkids loved feeding the baby ducks and the fish in the smaller courtyard. Want to get away from the rat race in a peaceful place? This is it. I was glad I stayed here. We stayed away from the restaurant because the reviews that were negative seemed to be mostly about the restaurant. There are plenty of places to eat close.

Room Tip: get a courtyard room away from the waterpark
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank gavlansar
Oakdale, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Impromptu, double family trip that was a mess. We tried to make the best of it. Staff is slow, rude and very inconsiderate. Advertise as a family environment yet they served kids drink in glass wine glasses, slow to help the kids. Food was good but not kid friendly. The waterpark is very, very small and is in need of up keep and a good cleaning. The adult hot tub was grey... No towels. They ladies told us there was a shortage and we needed to bring out room towels. They charge for safety equipment ..lifejackets for the kids.. GO TO Great Wolf, Kalahari or Splash Lagoon they are super for family trips. We will Never, Never go back there!

Then the messed up three different peoples billing. When we went to check out a guest was filling cause they over charged his card only to find out that they did the same to the other family with us. Then attempted to try our card number several time manually and had my card flagged. Called us while we where driving home demanding a different card number all the while they charged the room to the other families card told them they could not refund it for 5-7 business days. The Sunday Supervisor and Monday Day Manager really need to be trainer in customer service. Mary and ... Something with an A.. rude, loud, kept putting me on hold, actually hung up on me on Sunday and claimed she didn't. I am going to go out on a limb and say they have to be struggling and it showing now.. Go to Great Wolf or some where nice this place is a bust !!!

Room Tip: Read the comments and consider them when making a choice ! Wish I would of...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Laurataxis2

Travelers are raving about these Newark hotels

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

This is and average hotel posing as a resort quality hotel. No laundry service. WiFi was sketchy at best. Lots of families with children crowded the pool and spa area. Overall it was okay and overpriced.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank RollTideRoll423
Dundee, Ohio
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

This is a nice hotel on a beautiful piece of land. Room was nice and clean. Hotel seemed clean.

Concerns include: no breakfast included, cold water for shower even after waiting for 45 minutes after someone, vending and ice hard to find, room was nice and clean but not $189 nice.

Water park was extra even though room was priced at $189. Did not try restaurant, menu in room - the prices were quite high. Breakfast should have been included with stay.

Pool area was nice but spa wasn't especially clean.

Water park was OK.

Hotel sits on a beautiful piece of property. Has a small playground area which was nice. It sits right on bicycle path too. Very easy to find and access right off of Route 16.

Staff were nice and helpful.

Overall I would rate a 4 but still not worth the high rates.

• Stayed July 2013
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights for a family wedding. Our room was clean, the food was alright, nothing special, and the staff we encountered were very polite, especially the bartender in the lounge. However, to my understanding, the wedding planner provided by the lodge had a huge argument with the manager and quit a few hours before the wedding started, leaving the bride and her mother in a real bind. I was told this argument took place in the lobby for all to hear. This was extremely unprofessional on both parts and also caused the mother of the bride to do the planner's work instead of enjoying her daughter's wedding day. Although we live out of the area and have no reason to return, I wouldn't recommend this facilty to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have stayed at the Cherry Valley Lodge every other month for the past 2 years. I have to say that last 2 visits have been beyond horrible. Something is different at the lodge and they have now lost my business since my last visit. I believe in giving two chances, and this stay was my last. There second chance is their last. I arrived at the hotel on a Friday, like i have each stay. I arrived around 515pm and the room was not ready. I didnt understand, however it was ok. We were hungry and needed a quick beverage. We went to the lounge. Beverages were cold, food was horrible. How do you destroy a steak dinner? The steak was tough and over cooked. The veggys were dry and over cooked. The potatoes were OK. Dry, but not over cooked. Bartender was awesome and we joked about the food. She laughed with me and said, what else is new. She bought us 4 drinks because she said if we complained, we wont get anything and she wanted to make it right. About an hour and half later, we went to the front desk to check in. Room was ready. Room number 1, was not clean. Housekeeping never went to the room to clean it. I went back to the desk, and the response was, "well the computer said it was clean". Room Number 2 - Patio door unlocked and open a bit. Door didnt lock to the courtyard area. This was not good since the kids were coming in the morning. Went back to the desk, and with a surprise there was no apology. Room Number 3, 1/2 hour later was ok. I called the front desk and asked them to send housekeeping to the room with a bottle of cleaner. An older women came to the room with the cleaner and we explained our situation with the bathroom. She went to the bathroom and cleaned the urine running down the side of the toliet and replaced the stained towels on the towel rod. She apologized.

Breakfast the next morning - Not any surprise, the buffet was a joke. We ordered off the menu. 2 orders of pancakes. DRY, DRY, DRY. I would say they were yesterdays pancakes but i was not sure.

My child came to the lodge the next morning with Grandma and we went to the water park - WOW....what happened here. Bathrooms dirty, park pool chilly, and it reaked of chlorine. We spent about an hour there and left.

When we checked out of the hotel, i asked to speak to a manager. Out came this women that looked like she was a reject from the Motel 6. It was amazing I could hold a conversation with her. I told her, I just wanted to explain my experiences at the lodge and I did not want a refund I just wanted her to listen. I went into detail about everything...she looked at me and sad, sorry, no refunds. I said I didnt want a refund, I just wanted her to know about my experience on this visit. She said, what do you want me to do. I let her know that she could read my comment on tripadvisor.....

To the Reject Manager from Motel 6 - You do not belong in customer service. You are an absolute disgrace and an embarrassment to the lodge and the area. You need to return to the truck stop working the parking lot.

The lodge has gone downhill over the past few months. Any guest that stays there or wants to stay there, TRUST me, go elsewhere. This is no longer a nice property. It has been destroyed. Its an absolute shame.

Room Tip: Find another hotel to stay in.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio
Buxton Inn
Buxton Inn
#2 of 2 in Granville
Holiday Inn Express Newark-Heath

Been to Cherry Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!