“Good value, family fun”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newark
Columbus, Ohio
“Good value, family fun”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

After reading several poor reviews, we were very nervous to stay here. We were pleasantly surpised by Cherry Valley. The staff at check in were very quick and efficient. Our room was a unique L shape that allowed each bed a little bit of privacy. The room was clean. It is not a 5 star hotel, but a good value for the price. We had a walk out patio that overlooked a cute lake with beautiful surroundings. For as busy as the hotel was with families, it was a quiet stay. We enjoyed the indoor waterpark, but it is smaller than I expected (great for younger children, older kids may be bored) On the plus side, the waterpark had a decent concession stand and a full bar. I did go to the desk to check out and found that they charged us an $20 upcharge for having a room with 2 queen beds. After a discussion with the desk person, he had a manager refund the amount since no one had informed me when I booked or checked in that this was a standard fee.

I would stay here again and would recommend this place to others.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Columbus, OH
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here for a night while visiting the CoCo Key Waterpark (separate review). I was really hesitant to stay here and visit the waterpark due to negative reviews, but I have to say with 100% honesty that I have NO CLUE how someone can give this place a bad review.
The rooms are nice and clean. We had a suite, so we had a living room/dining area, a king bedroom and large bathroom with a large jetted tub. We had a walk out patio that faced a nice and lush courtyard.
The hotel property and amenities were nicely cared for. We swam in the indoor pool and hot tub at the hotel (different than the waterpark). It was nice and not crowded. There was also a pool table, meeting area with tables and chairs and an exercise room. The other side of the hotel had a large commons and bar and restaurant, but we did not use them.
This place was nice, but for the price, it was even nicer than I thought it would be. I would stay again without a second thought.

Room Tip: The suites are nice and the price is not much more than a standard.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
cleveland
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I started to give this a "2" but the final encounter moved it to a "1". This only time I have given either a 1 or 2. The hotel does not have the basic housekeeping procedures in place. Over a 4 night stay we had to call for hair dryer, toilet paper, tissue paper, shower mat, soap, hangers, and to report an exterior door that did not lock. The carpets and furnishings are worn and dirty. The entrance is not well lit, so we missed the driveway twice. After we had checked out, we realized that we had left a liquor bottle in a tote in the room. We called to see if housekeeping had recovered them and were told we would have to wait to the following morning as all housekeeping had already left (4:30pm) and there was no one who could check to see if the items had been recovered. We did not care about the liquor, but the tote had been given to us as a gift.
On the hotel's behalf, this was a college reunion weekend and the hotel was sold out. We understand that the hotel was recently purchased in bankruptcy for a fraction of the mortgage, so maybe they are having start up pains and have plans not yet implemented. But for now, just some normal housekeeping procedures would really help.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Newark hotels

chicago
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have stayed here many times over the last four years while my daughter attended school nearby. Sad to say the hotel has gone downhill since my first visits. Over the last several stays: the toilet overflowed, the shower didn't drain, lights were burned out,etc. (The housekeeping staff was quick to respond and did fix the plumbing problems however.), two pieces of equipment in the fitness facility were broken but the front desk was unaware/unresponsive, the outdoor furniture hadn't been cleaned so we couldn't use the outdoor patio off our room. The coffee was always free (near the front desk/restaurant) until graduation weekend when the coffee was no longer complimentary and the room rates were almost doubled. On one visit the front desk forgot to give us our wake up call and so we almost missed our flight. We complained to the front desk about the myriad problems but never received much of a response. I frankly expected a call from a manager after the stay where they didn't give us our wake up call but that never happened. We continued to stay at Cherry Valley Lodge because other than the B&Bs and two other small inns in Granville and the one hotel that is farther away from the school they are the only game in town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TotalOfFive
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Ok place, the waterpark is nice for kids. As for a couple staying for the night, it is overpriced. Our room key didn't work, and when I took it back to the desk, the attendant asked if I knew how to work it. There were dirty Kleenex in the bathroom. The bed was pretty uncomfortable. However, the courtyard is beautiful

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Tikkey80
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My group needed to find a spot that was mid-way between Cleveland and Dayton. Cherry Village was the perfect location and looked nice on the website.

The rooms were outdated, but clean and had a nice set up for accomodating 3-4 people. Each room had a balcony, which was nice.

The grounds were beautiful. I could have sat outside by the lake all night. There was a great patio, and very well-kept surrounding area.

However, save your money and take the time to eat elsewhere. The food was inedible. I got a tuna salad, which is pretty difficult to screw up. However, the smell of the tuna was so gross I had to shove it to the side of my plate immediately. I decided to eat the lettuce instead, but even the lettuce tasted of pure vinegar. I didn't want to cause a scene and send it back, so I wasted $21 on something I ate two bites of, and went to bed hungry. Our group of seven girls was very disappointed in everything that we got - including the awful wine.

If forced to stay in this location, this is probably your best bet. If you can manage to stay closer to downtown Columbus, I would highly suggest it. For the price, you can stay in an amazing location, near great food, and in an updated facility.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Angie W
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Cherry Valley Lodge, May 15 - 17th. I had read the recent reviews and I was concerned ....however our stay was great. The Lodge is as good as it looks in the pictures, very relaxing and beautiful. The wait staff in the restaurant was excellent....thank you Vickie for the great service. The room was very comfortable. I hated to leave and will plan to return in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen4416
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio
Buxton Inn
#2 of 2 in Granville
Hampton Inn Heath-Newark
Holiday Inn Express Newark-Heath

Been to Cherry Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!