“Fine For the Area, Because There's Nothing Else”

Cherry Valley Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My group needed to find a spot that was mid-way between Cleveland and Dayton. Cherry Village was the perfect location and looked nice on the website.

The rooms were outdated, but clean and had a nice set up for accomodating 3-4 people. Each room had a balcony, which was nice.

The grounds were beautiful. I could have sat outside by the lake all night. There was a great patio, and very well-kept surrounding area.

However, save your money and take the time to eat elsewhere. The food was inedible. I got a tuna salad, which is pretty difficult to screw up. However, the smell of the tuna was so gross I had to shove it to the side of my plate immediately. I decided to eat the lettuce instead, but even the lettuce tasted of pure vinegar. I didn't want to cause a scene and send it back, so I wasted $21 on something I ate two bites of, and went to bed hungry. Our group of seven girls was very disappointed in everything that we got - including the awful wine.

If forced to stay in this location, this is probably your best bet. If you can manage to stay closer to downtown Columbus, I would highly suggest it. For the price, you can stay in an amazing location, near great food, and in an updated facility.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angie W
There are newer reviews for Cherry Valley Lodge

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Cherry Valley Lodge, May 15 - 17th. I had read the recent reviews and I was concerned ....however our stay was great. The Lodge is as good as it looks in the pictures, very relaxing and beautiful. The wait staff in the restaurant was excellent....thank you Vickie for the great service. The room was very comfortable. I hated to leave and will plan to return in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen4416
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Up visiting family. Apparently we picked a weekend that all hotels were booked. Didn't want to pay the price of this hotel but had no choice. Aunt called hotel asking for rooms and if the took a military discount. Michael was amazing. They had 1 room for 1 night. But would put us on a "waiting list". By the time we actually checked in Michael had us 2nights booked!!! :) thank u so much. We were stressing because we were visiting family w 2kids on tow. 1 ended up being sick. We HAD to have a place to stay! :)

Rooms are nice clean big! The place is huge, but nice that there's a pool close by no matter where u go. The pond and gazebo was nice. Wish we had had time to explore more.
The only complaint I would have would be the housekeeping staff was loud and disrespectful. They would congregate in the hallway laughing and talking over each other, w no respect to ppl who were still sleeping. When confronted they dispersed like mice and w no apology. So don't plan on sleep passed 8am.

The hotel is beautiful and well worth the stay! (Especially w military discount!)

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank LovelyRita67
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Back again this year by the choice of my organization, surely not by me. Very little signal on Verizon unless you are standing outside, and my Nextel was not too much better. Can't conduct business nor stay in touch with family for TWO DAYS. I wrote about this issue for the past two years that we've met here. I highly discourage anyone to consider this place, UNTIL they step up and install amplifiers for cellular signals within the property.

My room was ready when I arrived at 5pm today, but several other members of my group were without rooms until I dn't know when. Found a broken switch on a lamp which won't light up, and the wireless internet is slow... showing a weak signal, and I am on the first floor not too far from the lobby. Many TV Channels were "snowy"... but the pay channels sure came in clear. Gee how ironic!

Well either way, I discourage anyone who depends on cellular communications from staying here... if they havn't done anaything since April of 2011, my first visit here, they sure as hell just don't care, and expect you to use their high priced long distance service!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gene F
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I really tried to approach our stay with patience and an open mind, which helped make things more tolerable. I reserved 4 hotel rooms and waterpark passes for my daughters 6th birthday. We invited family from out-of-state and this seemed like a good place to meet.

I made our reservations online through the Cherry Valley Lodge website (not an outside website). After making my reservations, I called the lodge and requested a handicapped accessible room and also requested that the hotel rooms be as close together as possible. When we arrived, the front desk seemed helpful and sincere in their efforts to accommodate these requests. We were a few a hours early, and I asked if we could check-in as soon as possible. The front desk seemed to be put out by this request and initially told me they could not do it, but ultimately allowed us to ckeck-in about an hour and a half early; however, it was clear that my request annoyed them. We had 5 kids in our party ages: 3,4,6, and two 11 yr.olds. When we got to the waterpark (everyone suited-up, kids ready to go), I was told that the reservations I had booked online did not include waterpark passes. The reservations I made online CLEARLY indicated hotel rooms and 4 waterpark passes per room included!!! I insisted there must be a mistake, but I was told the mistake was not their fault, because reservations made online were through a third party company, even though it is their actual CVL website!! Ultimately, I had to pay an additional $65 to have waterpark passes added to my reservations, which I know were already suppossed to be part of the non-refundable price I already paid!! I am not happy about this, and cannot figure out who I need to call, and frankly, for $65 it's probably not worth my time. Please check EVERY detail of any online reservations. I learned my lesson the hard way!

The waterpark was nice for the younger kids and I was told that this day was "not very busy." Like other reviews mention, the waterpark is kind of small, but it's really nice for younger kids and you can watch your children easily. If it were busy, I can see how the experience would be very dissapointing. I did notice that the lifeguards were young (easily intimidated by adults) and did not seem very attentive. You will have to stay with your child and should not trust that they will be supervised or safe otherwise. The arcade was pretty much a waste. It closes at 9pm like the waterpark, which on a Saturday seemed early to me.

The hotel pool does not have a lifeguard, but it is indoors, and there is also a jacuzzi. Not much seating (maybe 6-8 chairs), and if there are more than 15 people it is too crowded. It was a clean pool, and the water was not too cold. The jacuzzi was also clean.

The Sunflower restaurant...I cannot stress this enough...AVOID!! We made dinner reservations for our whole group and we were practically the only people there (and I now know why). There was our group of 13 people, and two other tables with 2 people each...so this place WAS NOT BUSY and the service and experience was dreadful! The poor waiter gave 100% effort, but it seemed as if he had never been trained on anything. He was overwhelmed, messed-up our orders, drinks, food, and no manager ever came to check on us. There were no refills, and in order to make room for my daughter's birthday cake, I cleared the dirty dishes myself. Our check was over $200 and it was not worth it!! I would give the restaurant one star, and that's being generous!

The rooms were lacking. They are definately not as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside! The interior is a little worn, the cleanliness was mediocre. For example, the carpet was dark in color and there were white stains in the bathroom area (hopefully toothpaste??), mold growing on the caulking around the bathtub fixtures, no hot water in the shower (really it was barley lukewarm...nothing like paying $125 for a cold shower), and the airconditioning did not work at all, so unless the the unit was in the "off" position, it only blew out heat, even when tunred to the coldest possible temp of 50 degrees (obviously the unit was broken). I went to the front desk that evening (worn-out and tired), only to be told by an employee (who seemed to care less) that she could have housekeeping bring a fan. She also suggested if we were hot to sleep with the patio door open a crack. REALLY??? That's the best she could do...doubtful!!

In summary, if you have other options consider them over this place. I won't go as far as saying that I completely regret our stay, but for the money I spent (Roughly $800) for four rooms, waterpark passes, and dinner for one day and one night...I'll never do it again! Double-check anything you do online. The refrigerators in the room are under the TV (just an FYI). Also, I should mention that the scenerary here is BEAUTIFUL...definately the best thing it has going for it...the scenery and it really is gorgeous.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Katie K
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed here last weekend and it was... OK. Several friends had told me it was really nice, but it wasn't.
There is a waterpark that seems to be open only on the weekends so most guests, like us, arrive on Friday afternoon. By evening, we headed to the waterpark where the kids can play and the adults can relax in the tiki bar.... or so we thought. The kids played happily, but the adults were miserable because the bartender (yes, one bartender) was horrible! She had no clue what she was doing... It took 25 minutes to get a mixed drink and I was second in line! I rarely drink but enjoy having one while on vacation... I will think twice next time!

The room was a little run down. Very clean, the housekeeping staff was excellent, very helpful and friendly. Our chairs were about to bust through the seat so I feel bad for the next users. Our biggest complaint about the room was the smell... The mini-fridge was in a cabinet and it looked as though milk had spilled out recently and leaked into the wood below so the whole room smelled of rotten milk.

On Saturday, the waterpark closed at 9 so we went to the pool and although it was crowded, we had a good time until it closed. There are no clocks there so the manager came around and hollered that the pool was closed. I hope they come up with a better system because it really was rude. I also hope they replace the manager because he is clueless!

We met him earlier in the evening in the restaurant on the premises. It is horrible! As we sat down, we noticed right away that there was no salt and pepper on the table and reminded our server that we would likely need some. He explained to us that all the shakers had been taken down the hall for a catered event.

My friend and I ordered an appetizer of braised short ribs ravioli, a salad with 'spiced' pecans, cranberries, and blue cheese, and an entree featuring seafood linguini in a jalapeno cream sauce.

Our server was refreshing our drinks and mentioned that the cooks told him that the ravioli was still frozen and would therefore end up being served with or just after our entrees. hmmm.... What?!
He then went to the kitchen and came back with the ravioli. My friend and I divided the raviolis, each of us ate one and realized... this pasta isn't cooked. YUCK!!!!!!!!!
Our server brought our salad and we told him about the pasta. It turned out to be his first night so he really wasn't sure what to do so he just went back the kitchen.
The salad was good just like the same salad at every other restaurant I've been to in the last 5 years...
Our entree came and it was wierd. The scallops and shrimp were perfect, the asparagus crunchy and stringy, the sauce reheated with bits of burnt pasta in it...
Then I looked down are realized there is lipstick on my glass and I wasn't wearing lipstick!!!!!

The server came back and offered us free dessert to make up for the ravioli.. He meant in exchange because he didn't want to find the manager to have the ravioli removed from the bill.
We asked for the manager anyway and he responded that it may take 15 or 20 minutes to get him because of the catered party. We assured him we would wait.

He almost immediately appeared only to tell us that all he could do was take the ravioli off the bill. He told us that as for the lipstick, these things happen.. the glasses are washed in the machine and sometimes it doesn't come off. He asked (with a chuckle) if anyone had drank from the glass. When I replied that yes, I had he offered free dessert....
REALLY????????
There didn't seem to be much we could do about it.. We thought it would probably just be added to the room bill if we walked out... I don't know what else we could have done. disgusting.
When we got our bill, we realized a different servers name was on it... I wonder if ours had quit... I did hear him apologizing to other tables and being asked for salt and pepper repeatedly...

Room Tip: There are plenty of waterparks in Ohio! Choose a different one!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank s43068
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We met friends here since it's about halfway between us. We had met them here before the waterpark was put in and it was lovely. Our friends were skeptical but we decided to give it a try. I think the problem is they're unsure of their clientele. Is it an elegant resort or a casual family place? Our room was lovely but when our friends checked in their room had many problems -- a cracked mirror, broken chair, ripped screen. They did move them and also gave all of us a free breakfast the next morning. Some at the front desk seemed not to know anything like the breakfast and pool hours and there was no information in our rooms. The next morning we had a lovely relaxing breakfast and our waitress was very friendly and helpful. Saturday morning was a different story. We had to wait in line for 35 minutes for a table, then they seated us at a table where the people had just gone to the buffet. Of course they were upset to come back and find their table filled. We had to wait again for a table, then forever to get our food making it past the check out time when we finished. The restaurant staff was very apologetic. Not their fault really, just poor planning. Despite all the kids, our room was quiet, no problems there; they just seem to have trouble handling crowds. (the person behind us in line at breakfast said that they waited 45 minutes to check in Friday afternoon). If you want a restful experience, I'd recommend avoiding the weekends.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio
Holiday Inn Express Newark-Heath
Historic Buxton Inn
Historic Buxton Inn
#2 of 2 in Granville

Been to Cherry Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!