“Only Game in Town that Need Buffing”

Cherry Valley Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newark
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Only Game in Town that Need Buffing”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at the Cherry Valley Lodge for a meeting. It is a lovely property & setting. The people are delightful. Food service is average with sporadic items very well executed. Rooms are kept as cold as a meat locker so bring a jacket. It seems that this lodge is resting on its laurels...the carpets are filthy, grout is cracked &/or moldy, exterior paint is peeling. It has those early signs of lack of attention to details.
The rooms are nicely decorated in standard hotel florals with sliding doors to a patio or balcony to get a breath of fresh air. If you have kids,(or you are a kid at heart), ask for a room near the pool or water park. The halls are labyrinthine!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Portena-by-Marriage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
ohio
Reviewed September 14, 2011

The first time we went to Cherry Valley Lodge was in the winter. The water in the water park was so cold it was turning my sons lips purple. Our last trip was at the end of May and the water temp.was better. When we first arrived our room had not been vacuumed. They came up right away, and vacuumed the room. It was quiet, and we got the room that we had requested. We ate at the bob evans across the street, the restaurant prices are a bit high inside the resort. All and all a nice visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a court yard room! The court yard is beautiful.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Ohio
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I booked a king sized room as a birthday present for my daughter and son-in-law. Along with the room were 4 water park passes. For those who say the waterpark is cold, not sure where they come from - the temp was perfect for us. All of the young people who are lifeguards are very professional and keep the kids safe. We had 3 adults and two children and they all had a great time. The package is a little pricey but not terrible. Only one complaint - I was told that my 6 year old son was not permitted to come with me to the women's restroom. Since there was no way I was going to let him go to the men's room alone, I had to wait nearly 30 minutes for the only "family" restroom to open up. It was very dirty also. Perhaps more housekeeping staff are needed in the waterpark area. Hotel rooms are clean and spacious and comfortable. Food at the waterpark is good; free drink refills.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Defiance, Ohio
Reviewed September 3, 2011

This was my first trip to Cherry Valley Lodge where I was attending a conference. The design of the Lodge reminded me of a nursing home with the exception of the steps and difficulty maneuvering particular hallways. The courtyard is the most impressive part of the lodge. I had a room facing the parking lot. When stepping out onto the "patio" it was massive thistles and no landscaping or maintenance at all. The sliding glass door was difficult to lock but they did have a metal bar to put in the door. From the pictures on the website, I envisioned this "lodge" to be in a more rural area, just outside the city. I was disappointed that it was not at all in a secluded area. The food was average, at best. The biggest disappointment was the "spa". They do not have staff available on a daily basis so it's necessary for them to call around to see who can come in to cut hair or provide a massage. I did get a hot stone massage but had to work around their schedule. I wanted to schedule a pedicure & they never called me back after the receptionist tried to find someone.

Room Tip: Request a room facing courtyard rather than the parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Debra G

Travelers are raving about these Newark hotels

Cincinnati
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This is a family oriented hotel (with water park), but I was there for a meeting. The desk staff were very helpful - easy check-in/check-out, made a suggestion for dinner then printed out directions, gave me a late check-out. The restaurant in the hotel was very good, nice selection. The room was nice. Bathroom had double sinks, with separate room for bathtub and toilet. Room was large with 2 queen beds and ample sitting area. The down side is that there is no sound barrier between floors or hallway. Also, due to the room set up you could not view the TV from both beds (set-up was L-shaped).

Room Tip: ask for rm on courtyard side - patio/balcony looks out over beautiful courtyard. Ask for 2nd fl, yo...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Our first trip here and we had heard from a friend that the waterpark was geared for smaller kids. I agree 10 and under is what it targets. The hot tub was decent but the swim through was closed? Parents were putting small kids in diaper in the hot tub....well thats a no-no. The arcarde was ok, the rooms were accomodating for a family of 4. The food onsite was very expensive - we ordered a pizza and had it delivered. Lots of walking to and from everything! Great place for a fmily with younger kids but the children had to be 48" to do any of the big slides.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 26, 2011

My fiance at planned a nice getaway for the weekend since it was our one year anniversary. I checked the website and was very excited--the website boasted about a romantic, couples oriented hotel. Everything on the website made this place look fantastic--WRONG! Talk about false advertising! We arrived around 4:30pm, in which we were supposed to be able to check in at 4 pm. We were told by the front desk that they had a busy night the previous evening and our room was not ready. They offered us waterpark passes, however that is not what we had come for. We decided to go sit in the bar and get a drink while we waited. It took the bartender 10 minutes to finally take our order (mind you there was ONE other couple at the bar). After asking for two draft beers, we were informed they had no draft beer and barely had any drinks at all due to the fact they have been closed. So, we ordered two bud lights--easy enough. Twelve dollars later and approx. 45 minutes after we had arrived, our room was ready.

We go to our room only to find that it is old, dirty and the sliding glass door would not lock. The hotel had provided a metal pole to slide in the track, however it was 2-3 ft short, and therefore did no good. The maintenance men showed up and seemed to think this was okay. I told them it was unacceptable and they finally vowed to fix the lock. My fiance and I went to have a couples' massage which was excellent. We returned to the room only to find that the bedroom had dirty blankets (brown stains) and the light in the ceiling was falling out. Considering this was a king suite that was $249 a night, I find that a bit unsettling.

Little did I know that my fiance (then boyfriend) was planning to propose to me that evening since he thought it was going to be a lovely romantic getaway. He had been in contact with the manager previously in the week about preparing the table for dinner with candles and glasses of wine etc., but yet when we arrived we waited for 10 minutes at the front before my fiance had to go into the restaurant to find an invidual to seat us for our reservation. There were two families in the restaurant--it was not like they were full to capacity! So after being seated, we then waited another 10 minutes before anyone greeted us at our table. The special requests that my fiance at asked for--not there. So, this special evening that he had planned for our engagement was ruined. Not by his lack of planning or effort, but by this terrible excuse for a hotel in the hospitality industry. Upon checkout we politely informed the front desk about our displeasure with the stay and her response was, "Oh, I'm sorry." When we returned home we wrote to the general manager twice about our experience and our complaint was never addressed. Anyone that is thinking of going here--it would be better if you stayed in your car--save your money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lilmoney13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio
Buxton Inn
Buxton Inn
#2 of 2 in Granville
Holiday Inn Express Newark-Heath

Been to Cherry Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!