“Solid hotel not far from Denison University”

Courtyard Newark Granville
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Newark
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Solid hotel not far from Denison University”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed one night at this Courtyard, which was very similar to other Courtyards around the country. The hotel is near a freeway exit, and is next to a Texas Roadhouse restaurant and a McDonald's. The hotel was comfortable and in good condition. Because of nearby road construction, getting to the hotel could be a challenge, particularly when we missed the exit and had to drive a long way to get back to the hotel. (Likewise, a trip to a nearby mall to watch a movie took longer because of the construction). We were a short drive from Denison University, which was the focus of the trip. We would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BertDC
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Granville, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
BertDC,
Thank you for writing a review from your stay with us at Courtyard Newark. We appreciate you selecting our hotel while visiting Denison University, and we're glad our close proximity added convenience to your travels. It's great to hear you enjoyed a comfortable stay and found our hotel to meet your expectations. I do apologize for any frustrations you experienced with the nearby road construction. Please plan to visit us again in the near future. Thanks again.

Thomas Mate, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Montverde, Florida
Reviewed October 30, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

A very good and typical experience for a Courtyard by Marriott. Actually we came from another Marriott property in Niagara Falls, Canada where we paid a much higher rate and found this marriott more updated and enjoyable. Staff was not as professional as other Marriott we have stayed at but acceptable. Would stay here again if in this area...........

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Granville, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
John S,
Thank you for your review and recommendation! We’re so glad you enjoy staying with us; we greatly appreciate your business and taking the time to share your comments.

Yours truly,
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great place to stay, and very convenient, when visiting the Denison Univ area. Very clean. Staff always friendly and great! Stayed there more than 15 times in past 4 years. The recent refurbish is great! Happy Hour offerings at the "bistro" are compareble to restaurant prices. Not too far from the great shopping in Easton.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Granville, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
soccerdad1616,
Thank you for your great review from your stay with us at Courtyard Newark. We appreciate your continued patronage over the past 4 years, and we're pleased to hear we consistently provide clean accommodations and great service during your stays. Please continue to make us your number one choice hotel when visiting Denison University. Thank you once again for writing.

chicago
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Very Clean, Quiet and Comfortable. Very convenient location for a visit to Denison University (about a 10 minute drive) I would definitely stay here again.
The only negative was the over use of air freshener in the room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
wev100,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Courtyard Newark. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and found our accommodations to be clean, quiet, and comfortable. We greatly appreciate your feedback both on positive and opportunities for improving our guest experience. We hope you'll stay with us for any future visits to Denison University. Thanks again.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Going in, this looked to be a comfortable place to stay, but I was dead wrong. The price was a total gyp at almost twice the price of similar hotels. I was weary from bicycling all day across Columbus from London, Oh, so I "bit the bullet" and booked a room. The desk clerk had mentioned that not many rooms were available due to a "Mopar" convention in the area, but I did not pay much attention until bedtime. I had learned that these are Chrysler Mopar "muscle car" enthusiasts, but I never expected these allegedly mature men to gather in a drunken mob right under my window in the hotel's front driveway and do "burn outs" a la NASCAR literally all night long. Around midnight after I'd heard enough drunken yells and ear splitting noise of 400 hp hemis, I rang the front desk and demanded he go out and make them stop the noise which I could hear even wearing ear plugs. He did NOTHING. So I called again and after repeated threats he said he'd go out and "talk to them." Nothing happened. They went at it till about 4 am and then started up again at 7 am. I tried to get my credit card refunded, but of course Marriott management lied and claimed to have given me the service I paid for. Insult to injury: for the exorbitant price I get NO breakfast, and not even a microwave or fridge in the room.

Room Tip: get one in back of hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Merrill C
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Granville, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Merrill C,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate hearing from you and receiving your feedback. It is unfortunate to hear that you did not have a satisfying stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the noisy disturbances you encountered during your visit and any inconveniences you experienced as a result. We value you as our guest and do hope that you'll give us another opportunity to provide a more positive stay in the future. Thank you again for writing.

Kind regards,
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This Marriott did not offer any type of breakfast. There was a Starbucks in the lobby that had breakfast items but for the price of the room, I expect at least a continental breakfast. Thankfully, there was a McDonalds right across the parking lot.

• Stayed October 2013
07700204,
Thank you for writing. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for your disappointment with the breakfast service. The Courtyard brand has been redesigned to offer a la carte breakfasts in a bistro-style concept in order to provide a wider ranges of options and healthier selections. Your feedback is important to us as we continually strive to improve our guests' experience. We sincerely thank you for your feedback and hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Best regards,
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My stay was convenient to a soccer tournament held at Denison University. The staff was helpful with breakfast suggestions when I inquired and the room was clean and comfortable. I tend to save my highest rating for places that are exceptional, think Omni, but this was a very good hotel. Dinner convenience was a mix. The good, convenience - I could walk across the parking lot to Texas Roadhouse or McDonalds, with two others places easily reachable without a car. The bad - I faced the McDonalds drive-thru line. A bit too close for my likes. No noise or bright light issues, just not scenic. Hotel had a nice indoor pool and hot tub. Lobby area was comfortable with a large screen TV. Staff kindly permitted our team's parents to socialize after the games in the lobby area. Overall, a very good experience.

Room Tip: While my room faced the McDonald's Drive Thru, the other side faced Route 16. I'll take my c...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Granville, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Bob K,
We appreciate you selecting Courtyard Newark while attending a soccer tournament at Denison University. We’re pleased to hear that our clean accommodations, helpful staff, and convenient location made for an enjoyable stay. We hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again in the near future. Thank you once again for writing a review.

Thomas Mate, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio
Holiday Inn Express Newark-Heath
Buxton Inn
Buxton Inn
#2 of 2 in Granville

Been to Courtyard Newark Granville? Share your experiences!