“Grand opening weekend”

Coco Key Water Resort
Ranked #9 of 19 things to do in Newark
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

It is their re-opening of the water park this weekend and the large water slides are not open. My children are very disappointed. It would of been nice if we had been informed of this when she was taking my admission money. The front desk wasn't very friendly either. No comparison to Great Wolf or Kalahari.

3  Thank 626,627
Larry M, General Manager at Coco Key Water Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Please accept our apologies for the slides not in operation. The fact is that we did not have a "Grand Opening" but rather a "Soft Opening" after 2 months of our waterpark closed for repairs and remodeling. We offered dramatically reduced rates ( approximately 75% less than the other parks that you mentioned) because our slides were not in operation. We went with a soft opening to minimize occupancy and to allow our many newly trained employees the opportunity to gain experience in their new positions. Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to the opportunity of having you back at CoCo Key Water Resort.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Could be fine for the "Younger Generation" Any selection by More Mature folks might be questionable....

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I live in the area so I don't normally stay at the lodge myself but have before and it was nice.
I have several grandkids that go often to the water park for a day and they love it and have always had a blast.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I received a vouchure for an overnight stay for 4 people including waterpark passes. I moved and found the vouchure. It had expired. I spoke to Scott who was a manager earlier this year and he extended the vouchure for me. I just called to use it and the Front Desk Manager said that since it was expired DESPITE Scott extending the expiration date, the vouchure was void. She asked me if he signed it! Really?! I'm going to drive up there just to have someone sign it? I guess taking a name and date and speaking with someone doesn't vouch for anything anymore. There was no effort to accomodate me as a customer. Obviously the vouchure was bought for $179! Way to keep the customer and potential customers happy. Who knows how'd you be treated once you get there!

1  Thank Keristin24
Leana D, Public Relations Manager at Coco Key Water Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

I would like to take the time to apologize on behalf on Coco Key about the inconvenience that this has caused you. For the voucher to be valid it does have to have a signature or initials. As part of Coco Key we do not book any hotel stays. If you would like to discuss this in further detail you can call 740-788-1335.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have to admit, when I read the reviews on this place, I started to think that maybe this place was going to be a big disappointment. I am happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised by Coco Key! We visited there Saturday, 8/3 and Sunday, 8/4.

Here is a little bit of background: my son is 3 years old and has special needs, including sensory issues. We have to be really careful about where we take him, because he doesn't always do well with a lot of noise and people. Coco Key was not overcrowded, and while it is a little noisy, it didn't bother him at all. It took him a little while to get used to the space, and then he ran right up to the large play area. He was more comfortable in the shallow pool, and absolutely loved the open slides they have there. The fact that it was a little dim in there actually worked well for us, because he does not like being out in the sun or in bright light.

I was very happy with the amount of lifeguards they had, and with their professionalism. I could see them scanning the area constantly, and while they were not afraid to tell people what they needed to do to stay safe, they always did so with respect.

I thought that everything was clean, and that there was ample seating - we never had a problem finding a table and chairs. The air temperature and water temperature were both fine -- the shallow pool is warmer than the rest of the water, but nothing was too cold. We brought our own towels from the hotel room (separate review) or we wouldn't have had any on the first day. The family changing area was basic but a nice touch. My husband and I appreciated being able to switch off taking showers while the other watched our son.

I think that the management change has started to kick in at Coco Key, and I think if you give it a chance you will have a good experience too!

1  Thank jaimewvu

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write the response on Coco Key Water Resort. Every review will help us make changes.