“Go to Great Wolf Instead”

Coco Key Water Resort
Ranked #9 of 18 things to do in Newark
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is our 3rd indoor water park we have visited. The other two were two different Great Wolf Lodge resorts. ( Cincinnati and Cedar Point). So we had a good basis for comparisson.

I am only giving this 2 stars because my 5 year old and 3 year old had fun. Otherwise it would have been 0 stars.

Like others have said:

1.) The water was frigid. So cold that I couldnt even stand it in and my youngest - 1.5 year old shivered immediately. In comparrison to the other places we have been it was VERY cold.

2.) It was PACKED. No where to even put stuff down. Everything was completely packed with people. Sunday morning / early afternoon was better than Saturday.

3.) This sounds crazy, but NO towels. None. They somehow ran out or couldnt supply any more on Saturday. Sunday was no different. No towels.... even when they opened. Being hotel guests we didnt bring any down - so we had to treck back soaking wet to our hotel room to get towels.

4.) Lazy river is great ..... except there are barely enough inner tubes for 1/5 of the people in the lazy river. Most of them were partially deflated. So if you want to walk in waist deep ( freezing) water... you might enjoy it.

5.) Dark - Where are the lights? I felt like I was in a cave.

6.) Lifeguards - just standing around and letting kids collide at the bottom of the slides. Thankfully, not my kids.

7.) Not enough to do - 1 1/2 hours in I felt like we did everything and there was nothing else worth doing.

All together really disappointed.... being so close to where I live I thought this would be a good alternative to longer trips to Great Wolf. Its really not even worth the money - even with a coupon or discount.

4  Thank RockyBenzo
Scottie T, Manager at Coco Key Water Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

I am so sorry your stay with us was not ideal. Coco Key Water Resort has recently gone under extensive boiler and heat ex-changer repairs to maintain optimal temperatures in the water resort. With your concerns about our lifeguards, we discourage any poor behavior when our guards are on duty. Our lifeguards are all trained through SAI and are thoroughly trained in scanning, customer service and other lifesaving skills. Towels are an amenity that on busy days we could run out of, so we do encourage guests to bring their own. The tube situation has improved 10 fold and we now have more tubes than we can fit! We encourage you to try again as our price of admission has decreased for the summer and is now $15 on the weekends and $10 on the weekdays. please check our website for hours of operation!

There are newer reviews for Coco Key Water Resort

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We went this past weekend and it was terrible. The waterpark area is small, very over-crowded and under staffed for a water park. The so called life guards were not doing their jobs at all. The water was freezing in the toddler area teens were sliding down the slides, no towels during our entire stay, rafts half deflated. Do not waste your money or your kids safety

2  Thank Mary F

I am so sorry your stay with us was not ideal. Coco Key Water Resort has recently gone under extensive boiler and heat ex-changer repairs to maintain optimal temperatures in the water resort. With your concerns about our lifeguards, we discourage any poor behavior when our guards are on duty. Our lifeguards are all trained through SAI and are thoroughly trained in scanning, customer service and other lifesaving skills. We encourage you to try again as our price of admission has decreased for the summer and is now $15 on the weekends and $10 on the weekdays. please check our website for hours of operation!

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Hotel nice, but waterpark is lacking. Good for smaller kids, but teens and up will be bored. Food and waterpark operations should be run by adults instead of kids. Go for 1 night and that should be sufficient.

2  Thank HonestAnswersCanHurt

Coco Key Water Resort Newark has recently transitioned to a new director. Please come back to see a better and more professional staff!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

There is really not much positive I can say about this place. The waterpark was insanely crowded (at max capacity) which surprised me because it was not that nice. First the water was way too cold to even enjoy it, not even a temperature you can adjust too. My poor 2 year was shivering and miserable even though she loves the water. We could only stay in the water for about 5 minutes at a time and then get out and warm up. There were also no inner tubes anywhere to be found and the few that people were carrying around were mostly deflated. There was not as big of a selection of slides and activities as other parks I have been too and the attractions they did have seemed in disrepair. We paid a lot of money to stay at the lodge and we had to wait over an hour past the check in time for our room which would not have been as big of a deal if we were able to enjoy the water. It was very clear they were understaffed and most staff were NOT friendly. I will say the room itself was nice. We were not the only parents that were complaining. We definitely will NOT ever ever ever go back.

2  Thank Amanda P

I am so sorry your stay with us was not ideal. Coco Key Water Resort has recently gone under extensive boiler and heat ex-changer repairs to maintain optimal temperatures in the water resort. Coco Key water resort has also lowered the daily admission rate to $10 on the weekdays and $15 on the weekends to make it a little more affordable for all. Check out our website for hours of operation. come try again at a facility that is always 84 degrees or warmer!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We live about 1/2 hour away and I will never come back. It would be perfect for kids less than 5, IF the water temperature wasn't frigid. The staff gave some lame excuse that they had cleaning to do & it was warming up "as fast as it could." I know they are closed during the week so not really sure. literally my son's lips were purple, I didn't even try to get in and my husband said it was unbearable. Yet we will paid approx 20 per person for day passes and nothing was offered for replacement. Will not return.

2  Thank Kacy1