“Best Mexican food in the whole town!”
Review of Puerto Vallarta

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #19 of 111 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Mexican
Heath, Ohio
“Best Mexican food in the whole town!”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

If you're wanting Mexican, this is the place to go!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Carmen M

DuBois, Pennsylvania
“FAST, AUTHENTIC Mexican food”
Reviewed March 16, 2011

Parking is no problem, Puerto Vallarta is located in a small plaza with a huge lot.

We went to eat an early dinner on a Friday, and thankfully so (more on that later) as I'm not a fan of crowded places. I was traveling with 2 teenagers and a toddler. We came in the door and were seated in well under a minute.

Chips and salsa were brought promptly and our drink orders were taken. My teenage daughter is Vegetarian, and it was nice to see a section labled as such on the menu, as I usually have to help her search out meatless options. There's also a children's section (I think the kids' meals are 2.50 or 2.99, and I believe they include a drink, but my daughter had her sippy cup full of milk, so we didn't get a drink for her).

Our drinks were brought out quickly and I asked for a little longer got go over the menu for myself. When the waiter came back for our orders, I quickly and easily got 3 orders out ofthe way, and asked for suggestions for myself, after a little debating I settled on the Carne Asada with corn tortillas.

The food came out lightning fast. I was surprised, but with an antsy toddler, I was certainly not going to complain. Everything was delicious. A side of refried beans was brought out for me since my toddler had eaten all of mine while I was cutting up her quesadilla. (They were THAT good!) As we were finishing up, I felt a little rushed, nothing overt, but the check was brought with no mention of dessert. I just didn't get the impression that they wanted us to sit and linger.

The food is delicious, hot, fresh, and FAST. Prices are average and a good value for the portions. Service was good. The atmosphere is average, and some updating could be done, especially in the bathroom. This is definitely a place I will return to when in the area, and I may check out one (or all!) of the 3 sister restaurants listed nearby on their webpage.

As we were traveling back from another excursion later that night, we thought of grabbing a quick bite, but discovered the place PACKED and settled for grabbing 2 to-go drinks. We walked in and waited a total of about 5 minutes at the bar, and even though we were standing, not sitting, were offered chips and salsa. On our way out, there were about 10 people in the entrance area waiting for tables to open. This may explain the rushed feeling I had earlier, they knew what was in store come dinner time (and probably until closing by the looks of it when we stopped in the late evening)

I don't know how business is on other days, but if you're traveling with anyone who doesn't like crowds, avoid dinner hour on Friday!! But if you don't mind the crowd and maybe a short wait, watching the waiters carry 7 or 8 hot plates to a table is pretty entertaining! (of course, this might happen all the time, we only have one occasion from which to judge)

• Visited March 2011