“ICSEI Conference 2014” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Depok
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
“ICSEI Conference 2014”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

The Royal Ambarrukmo Hotel is a good option in Yogyakarta for a Conference. The guest facilities are of a good standard and the staff are pleasant. I was therefore very disappointed that this Hotel made absolutely no effort whatsoever to meet my dietary requirements despite the Conference Application request. I had previously registered that I have a significant intolerance to MSG. The schedule was busy which precluded going elsewhere for lunch which left me little option on the prepared conference menu each day other than fruit. I was told by the chefs that food preparation included the addition of MSG in their meals. My approach to the Hotel Marketing person was to no avail and when she was contacted during our stay by our Jakarta Administration team there was no action taken nor was I approached with any explanation or support. I understand that this is a Santika Chain Hotel which makes my concerns doubly disappointing. I am a resident of Indonesia and our Program uses Santika Hotels considerably for workshops. I have always been impressed by efforts made at Santika in the past.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Greensboro, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

I love this hotel. The staff is helpful and kind. The rooms are immaculate and comfortable. My wifi worked perfectly (included in the rate) in my room. The breakfast (also included in rate) has so many choices from Western to local foods as well as freshly made juices of the fruits/vegetables you choose. Ambarrukmo Plaza is the mall next door with lots of shops and food options. Malioboro Street is a 25-30k rupiah cab ride away (only a few dollars). I would definitely return to this hotel again. Thanks for a great stay (I was here for 7 nights)!

Room Tip: I had an end room on the 7th floor which had sweeping views on 2 sides.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

Royal Ambarrukmo has a world-class hotel atmosphere, having facilities such as an airline ticketing center, free bicycle rent, a batik clothing store, and is just across Jogja's largest mall. The room is average sized, with comfy beds. The breakfast serves a large buffet of dishes from the classic fried rice or toasts and bagels, to sushi and dim sum.

Location is near the airport, and they have a free airport transfer shuttle. Price is highly affordable. Service is professional. Facilities are great. Big swimming pool and garden. Jogging track available. A welcome drink upon arrival. People very helpful and warm. I would definitely come again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Nibong Tebal, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

I must say that I am a frequent traveller, but somehow, this is my first trip to Indonesia. The Royal Ambarrukmo Hotel was the destination. Upon arrival, I realized that it was a new (newly refurbished?) hotel.
The moment I stepped inside, the reception was excellent. Service was quick and professional. The rooms are clean, and each (I think) has a wonderful balcony. Location was slightly far from the famed Malioboro Street, but plenty of stuff as well nearby, like the Ambarrukmo Mall. The rooms were spacious, and well decorated.
As this was for business, I will return for a family stay. I am impressed.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

This hotel was originally constructed on the orders of President Sukarno back in the 60s as one of 3 hotel projects to develop tourism in Indonesia. The architecture is very 60s, but the property has been renovated and is really quite lovely. I particularly liked the lighting in the public areas of the hotel: there are plenty of windows so the lighting is natural and then in the evening very soft. I experienced minor problems that did not really detract from my overall favorable impression of the hotel: I arranged for a car to pick me up at the airport, but there was no car when I got there, so had to take a cab. The check in process was somewhat tedious and took longer than what seemed usual, but I made this easier by visiting the concierge while they were doing whatever it is that took so long, and made my reservations to visit Borobudur and Prambanam. The hotel has it's own cars so you can arrange for some nice day trips at a very reasonable rate. Breakfast was a joy every day. There is a gamelan group playing every morning and an astounding assortment of breakfast options. I generally stayed with the Indonesian selections and fresh tropical fruits which were both delicious. I also had dinner a few times which was equally good. The restaurant features specialties from Yogyakarta which should not be missed, and the service in the restaurant is at all times warm, friendly and professional. I found everyone in the hotel to be very friendly and helpful. I asked for a room with a view of Mount Merapi, and spent quite a bit of time on my balcony overlooking the beautiful view. The hotel pool is large, clean and great for swimming or just relaxing. There is also a small museum next to the hotel as the property once belonged to the sultans of Yogyakarta and one of the palaces is still there. In the evening there was usually some music in the lobby bar, and this was a great place to relax after a day of sightseeing. Yogyakarta has so much to see and do so this was a nice way to end the days. There is also a big shopping mall across the street from the hotel if you need anything or feel like shopping. I found myself not wanting to leave this beautiful hotel as I was so comfortable and relaxed while here. A big thanks to everyone at the Royal Ambarrukmo. You are now officially one of my favorite hotels in the world!

Room Tip: Book a room viewing Mount Merapi and overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Our family loved this place for its beautiful pool and garden, great breakfast and clean, well-appointed rooms. Everything about this hotel exudes quality, and it is five star quality at a four star price.
It was very relaxing to sit in the lounge areas near the lobby and read the free newspapers while looking out at the luxuriant garden.
The breakfast is in experience in itself. They have a wide choice of local, Chinese, Japanese and Western cuisines, including some tasty Javanese dishes such as brongkos, pecel, timlo that are rarely seen in hotels. The dining room faces the garden and the staff are very friendly and attentive.
Our room (no.749) had a balcony facing north over the pool and gardens towards Merapi volcano which was emitting a large cloud of smoke and some ash. We had two double beds, a bar fridge, tea and coffee maker, safe, flat screen TV with lots of channels (but could do with more English language news channels), a walk-in shower and good quality soap and shampoo. The air conditioning was quiet and worked well, and the lights were good for reading in bed. It was very quiet at night and we slept well.The Ambarrukmo Plaza, with lots of shops and restaurants, is right next door.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Brunei
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. The rooms are good, spacious and clean. Very elaborate buffet breakfast. Concierge service was good and efficient in arranging taxis, etc. But what upsets me was the attitude of the receptionists at the time of check out. After staying 3 nights, i requested if I could check out at 2 pm instead of 12 noon but was refused categorically. I have stayed in many countries around the world but this was the first time I was rejected a simple 2 hour extension. By the way, there were plenty of rooms as I could easily make a new booking if i wanted one, online. If the hotel management is interested in following up my complaint, I can write to them the name of the particular receptionist.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Depok
Hyatt Regency Yogyakarta
Grand Aston Yogyakarta
Grand Aston Yogyakarta
#7 of 193 in Yogyakarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,023 reviews

Been to Royal Ambarrukmo Yogyakarta? Share your experiences!