“Pretty Darn Good”

Anna Ree's Andouille
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2013

On U.S. 52 just each of NewRichmond Ohio (about 25 minutes from downtown Cincinnati, is one of the bestir Cajun restaurants in the entire region for quality and authenticity. Having worked on the rivers and visited New Orleans on many occasions, I know this genre of style fairly well....and it stands up to it's origins. Great setting on the banks of the Ohio River, there is outdoor seating weather permitting with entertainment on the Friday and Saturday evenings, A great menu from full dinners to sandwiches, full bar, and very friendly staff and ownership. Always feel at home even igf it's your first time there.

There are newer reviews for Anna Ree's Andouille

Reviewed December 16, 2012

The staff there are friendly and helpful. I think they have a new chef since the food has changed a little bit? the Owner are the kindest people you would ever want to meet!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Upon pulling in the parking area, we quickly realized that we were about to be in for a let down. It's 6:30 Friday night and there's only a couple cars in the pot holed parking area w/ asphalt reminants and we just drove 50 minutes to get here? The one story concrete block building, which is situated in a sort of residential like area, appears to be itself a converted house and somewhat neglected. Just from looking at the property, we could tell that we would be disappointed but we were already committed w/ a pre purchased online 1/2 off coupon plus the long drive. This is the kind of place that we would normally never consider just based on the outside and the inside isn't much better. We made reservations for a table with a view. Upon entering the restaurant, I almost laughed to myself - where is the scenic river view we were expecing??? We did have their best table waiting for us, but the view was hardly much to look at so we quickly asked to just have a booth instead, up near the bar area. Overall, the service was fine - curtious & prompt. We had a young, attentive waitress. The place seemed well staffed, like they were expecting a crowd. So far, there wasn't one and I was already wondering why anyone would come here...We ordered the crab cake appetizer - $12.99 for 2 "crab cakes". Honestly, if we hadn't been so hungry and just paid $12.99, I wouldn't have eaten these things. As my wife accurately described, they were like eating a scoop of chicken salad covered w/ fried panko. They weren't foul, but they were weird - gooey and not like any crab cake I've ever eaten. I would question anyone's taste buds if they acually thought that these were good... Maybe I'm partial to the Maryland style, but if these were authentic cajun style, I will now pass every time. Next was the salad. Overall, they were decent and had greens vs. the standard iceberg lettuce. This was nice. My wife liked her spinach salad and mine was the field greens with 1/2 filled ramiken of room temperature blue cheese dressing. I ordered the blackened grouper on rice and she had the jambalaya. Both were delivered promptly. The fish was quite good and seemed "authentic" w/ numerous pieces of crawfish(?) but the jambalaya was not so good. I would reccommend the fish but the jambalaya was missing things and tasted like it came from a box. I've actually had much better from box. Also the jambalaya's rice was not cooked completely. You'd think this dish would be a staple...45 minutes later, we were ready to settle up and drive home - at least it was a nice scenic drive... We took a quick peek at their outside area in the back. There is a small vegetable garden outside. It looked too small for a "chef's garden". I noticed some okra but can tell you my salad did not appear to have one of the garden tomatoes on it... There is an outdoor bar and an informal hodge podge of make shift tables w/various styles of chairs - interesting/tacky.... It looked like somebody's family reunion w/o anybody there. The view of the river from any point on this particular property is minimal at best. Prior to going to Anna Ree's, we drove around the river district of New Richmond. The view is much better at the other restaurants in New Richmond - not sure about the food as we haven't tried them yet. Also, I'd think the atmosphere is more "river like" because, at the others, you are actually on and/or overlooking the water. At Anna Ree's, you do not feel like you are even on the Ohio River. This also surprised us. At 47 years old, we were easily the youngest patrons at the restaurant. Most folks were in the 60's through 80's and a little rough... I think taste buds and expectations lessen as you get older. We overheard some people raving about the little garden and the only thing I can think is that some people don't get out much....The only thing positive I would say about this place was my fish. The ambiance was not there for us - worn, tathered and uncomfortable. It didn't feel "cajun" to us. I could call it eclectic, but that would be a stretch. It wasn't worth the drive or money or our time but if I were to do it again, I would suggest getting the grouper TO GO and eating it at the roadside picinic tables a mile or two down in the river district (in front of the marina/restaurant). This is a very nice area and more what we expected of the restaurant. We are definately no strangers to spicey and adventurous food but unfortunately, my wife's jambalaya only spent about an hour 'inside" her, if you know what I mean. Lets just say, it was a long drive home... My advice would be to skip this place.

1  Thank jurassicdaryl
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We met friends here last Saturday night, we were not really aware that this restaurant was on the far side of New Richmond, but we kind of liked the fact that it was "way out in the country" next time I would plan a little better timewise. The inside area of the restaurant was deserted, except for maybe 2 tables, it might have been because there was no air conditioning on, it was actually stifling hot, hopefully a one time thing. The ladies room toilet was broken/fixed/broken again, luckily I only visited once while we were here. The "backyard" (that's what it seemed like) had a band playing, but we got there late, 8:45, and I'm guessing they had to stop at nine because we only heard 1 or 2 songs. The area had kind of a Tiki Hut feel, so I was expecting a more lively time, but the whole place seemed to shut down at around 9:30 or 10:00. The food was totally unremarkable and I didn't feel like they had a ton of choices, we had a nice time with our friends and they like it so we will give it a try again, I guess!

Reviewed July 25, 2012

This sleeply location is a surprise! Just outside of New Richmond, our little river town, is Andouilles.... it reminds you of New Orleans for sure. Situated river side, you can dine in our out. If you choose to dine out you will walk right past the homegrown garden that the owners tend to daily! Parts of your own meal will be plucked from this garden and you can certainly tell! The food is as fresh as can be and more delicious than I can put into words here. I have had cheese sticks, to salad, to pasta, to pork chops and I cannot tell you I've ever had a bad bite to eat there!
The staff are always darling, usually younger than normal but absolutely delightful!
I can personally highly recomend this restaurant for you!!!! ENJOY!!!