“Wonderful”
Review of Ravenwood Castle

Ravenwood Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 New Plymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We (three adults and a toddler) have a great three-day stay in the Clock tower. The cottage was very clean and spacious, with wonderful stained glass windows and pine-scented woodwork.

Highlights: excellent selection of board games and beer, the Hocking Hills hiking trails with caves and waterfalls, awesome breakfast buffet (and a pretty good lunch/dinner selection), and an even more awesome and friendly staff.

Definitely coming back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Ravenwood Castle

Reviewed March 18, 2014

The whole family (4 adults and 6 children) stayed at the castle to celebrate my mother birthday. We stayed in the Sliversmith House and the Clock Tower. The houses are very cute and clean. The Silversmith had 2 bedrooms and 1 1/2 bathrooms, small kitchen, fire place and a couple of decks. The living room is large and has a full size dining table which was great for playing board games. Has a very small bathroom with a toilet and sink only downstairs. Also on the first floor is a bedroom with Queen bed. A futon is in the living room. The bedroom upstairs is huge! It has a king size bed and lots of floor space. Plenty of room for a blowup mattress or 2. The Master bath has a heart shaped tub. The kids loved it.

The Clock Tower house was very cute and pretty. All pine wood inside. 1 bedroom with king bed and a futon in living area. Very small kitchenette. Bathroom has tub and shower combo but the tub is really big.

The Breakfast in the castle every morning was so good. They even shared a recipe with me. We all had dinner in the dining room on Saturday. The dinner is buffet style and very yummy. The kids ate everything. They had prepared a special Birthday cake for my mom and it was a beautiful black forest cake. Really special and above my expectations.

The castle is a very short walk from the houses. You can borrow DVDs from the large selection in the library and of course books and they have tons of board games too. There is also a coffee station with hot chocolate. A pub is in the basement of the Castle. I did not visit but really wanted to! The staff is very accommodating and helpful and they make you feel like its your home too. The Inn Keeper even brought his two adorable children in to meet all the guests.

FYI-NO WIFI and No Cell Service and NO cable! I was terrified when we arrived and heard this information. Did I mention we had 6 kids with us! Ages 16-3! But the kids did great and it was really nice to actually "unplug" and enjoy each other.

The property is located in the middle of the of nowhere in the woods. There is a town about 15 miles away that has some restaurants and gas stations. The Castle has a house phone with menus from Pizza places that deliver to the castle. Not sure how long that would take but its an option.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jesscruick
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful weekend at the Woodcutter's Cottage at the Ravenwood Castle. I would strongly recommend this to anyone looking for a fun getaway. The cottage was spacious, clean and had fun decor to go along with the theme. Although it was cold outside, the cottage was warm and cozy and even had a fireplace.

We spent time in the castle playing games in the Pub and enjoying the fabulous breakfasts. We did not have dinner in the castle but will take advantage of that next visit.

The staff was attentive and fun, and they have a huge variety of games to play along with a library of books and DVDs.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This place is fantastic!! My husband and I went for their beer tasting weekend. We looked forward to just getting away for awhile and it ended up being better than we could have imagined! We didn't want to leave.

We stayed in the Cinderella coach house which was great. Very clean. The bed was comfy and the fireplace was great after walking from the castle.

The beer tasting was great and we got to taste more beers than we expected with not only tastings at dinner both nights, but also at lunch on Saturday. The dinners were delicious! Cheese and (amazing) meatballs as an app, salad, and a great main course along with dessert each night. Lunch from the pub was also great, but not many choices so be prepared. I highly suggest having dinner in the great hall. Breakfast was also great. The cinnamon rolls were the best ever.

The innkeeper, Steve, was very helpful in teaching us some board games and playing along. Our first night, we made some great friends and played many board games throughout the weekend. Karington also joined us for a few. He was very attentive and often went above and beyond to make our stay even better.

I do recommend that if you travel there in winter, drive a 4 wheel drive vehicle or be prepared to park and be shuttled up to the castle (karington also was great at this). There is also no wifi and super rare cell service. We loved this and welcomed the disconnect.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica H
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We just returned from the BEST trip to Ravenwood Castle for our five year wedding anniversary. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to adequately express what a fantastic time we had in this review, so let me just begin by shouting: THIS PLACE IS SO MUCH FUN!!

The castle concept in quirky and fun and they do a great job pulling it off. There's so much to see around the building and around the grounds and they pay close attention to detail. We stayed in the Clocktower cabin, which was AWESOME, perfect for a romantic getaway-- beautiful woodwork, an electric fireplace and a huge whirlpool tub made it nice and cozy for our snowy weekend.

We participated in the Beer Tasting Weekend event and it was a blast. The owner, Jim, knows tons about beer and keeps an outstanding craft beer menu on hand. The whole staff seems to know their boardgames, too. The innkeeper, Steve, even spent one night teaching us new games. The whole staff was really wonderful-- so helpful and so much fun to be around. They treated us like friends.

Also, be warned: You probably won't get any cell reception. We were a little nervous about that, but it turned out to be just what we needed.

We loved this place so much! We can't wait to come back, hopefully soon!

Room Tip: The Clocktower cabin is well-worth the money; it's really cute and romantic.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emily N
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My family came down to the castle for the Alice in Ravenland event. I appreciate how well the actors interacted with the children. This was a magical moment that my family will remember fondly.

We have 5 children so we got 2 rooms. The rooms were so large, I think we could have all fit in one room(but I don't think that's allowed). The castle and the rooms were very nice.

The staff was great and very attentive. Being a large family, it was nice at how attentive the staff was to my whole family. We enjoyed the board games they introduced us to. In fact, getting away from all the electronics in this castle is something we will definitely do again.

It was well worth the drive and a great place for a family weekend road trip. My kids didn't want to leave. I am sure we will be back soon. Thank you Ravenwood.

Room Tip: There aren't any grocery stores close by. We picked up some munchies on the way down and it was...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank dpolyak2014
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Had a fantastic time at Ravenwood Castle Alice in Ravenwood event. The cast charaters did a fantastic job. The staff was always ready to help in anyway the could. Very friendly staff. My girls enjoyed the experience and are already talking about doing it again next year. Enjoyed the experience and the new found friends that we made. Very well planned event for the kids. If you travel in the winter make sure to watch the weather. The driveway is off the road and you have to go up hill to get to the castle. We got stuck - only because it was dark and didn't know where we were going. The staff got the car up to the castle. Thanks staff you rocked the weekend

Room Tip: King Arthur Suite is a beautiful room - it is located off the main floor and is two story suite with...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
#7 of 10 in Athens
Hampton Inn Athens
Hampton Inn Athens
#2 of 10 in Athens

Been to Ravenwood Castle? Share your experiences!