My husband & I were traveling to the Hocking Hills area & the Smoky Mountains for our 5th Anniversary/Babymoon. We booked a cabin in the mountains in TN, and booked another cabin in Ohio...but it was only available 2 of the 3 nights we wanted. SO, in researching other places to stay...I stumbled upon Ravenwood Castle online. I thought it would be so cool to stay in a castle. But, since you needed a 2 night stay on a weekend, and we really only needed one night, that was out of our budget. So, we chose a gypsy wagon to stay in (basically like camping). We love unique experiences, so we were all pumped for this. We had to work on the day we were leaving, so we knew we wouldn't arrive until midnight or so. Not a problem, we'd arrive and hit the hay!
Well, it WAS a problem. We were locked out of the castle. We knew it would be locked, since we were coming in so late. We were told to either ring the doorbell OR look for an envelope outside with our key in it. We rang the doorbell for an hour and a half, with NO answer at the castle door. We walked around the castle looking for anything, but didn't want to wake up other guests. Our cell phone had no signal. SO, we gave up and slept in our van. We kept on saying that they should have just left the key on the table outside. We also had no access to a bathroom until the castle was unlocked in the morning...which made it very hard for this pregnant woman to sleep at all! :( They did take off one night for us, which was only fair, since we slept in our van.
In the morning, we went in the castle. It is beautiful inside, and the breakfast was delicious! There was a wide variety of fresh fruit, cereal, homemade granola, muffins, a casserole of some type, and juice. On Sunday morning, there were DELICIOUS homemade cinnamon rolls! Breakfast was our favorite part of our stay here.
They also have a selection of games to borrow, which came in handy on our first day which was quite rainy.
Once we got in our YELLOW gypsy wagon, we were pleased. Like we thought, it would basically be like camping (we brought an air mattress and sleeping bags). It definitely worked for our second/last night there. What we didn't like was our private bathroom. We had to walk there and bring a key (which was fine...again, it's like camping). But, there were so many bugs in the bathroom...I didn't want to put anything down. The water also had a horrible smell, and there was mold on the walls. I saw this in another review, but assumed it had been taken care of. Not so much...
I'm sure the castle rooms are very nice, and I wish we could have/would have stayed there. Then I think our review would be different. I wouldn't stay in the gypsy wagon again.
My one suggestion for travelers arriving after 10 pm, MAKE SURE THEY LEAVE YOUR KEY OUTSIDE...if they say the castle door will be locked!
Also, to note...we are not those people that complain about every little thing when traveling. We are go with the flow type people, so we hate writing a NOT SO GREAT review, but we felt we had to here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the woods of scenic Hocking Hills, Ravenwood Castle provides a charming setting with a medieval flair. Whether you are planning a romantic trip for two or a unique getaway for family and friends, Ravenwood Castle makes for an unforgettable destination. Ravenwood offers a wide array of accommodations, from castle guest rooms and Medieval Village cottages to rustic Huntsman's Hollow cabins and Gypsy Wagons. Our guests enjoy dining in the Great Hall and Tea Room, or relaxing with a drink in the Raven's Roost Pub after a day exploring the caves and trails of Hocking Hills. Whether your vacation includes outdoor adventure or simply a relaxing escape from the stresses of everyday life, Ravenwood Castle is your destination. Leave the hassle, come stay in our castle! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotwire and Orbitz so you can book your Ravenwood Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ravenwood Castle Hotel New Plymouth
- Ravenwood Castle Ohio/New Plymouth