Ravenwood Castle
Cherry Ridge Retreat(New Plymouth)
$249
Budget Inn(Logan)
$90
Holiday Inn Express Logan(Logan)(Great Value!)
$109
$103
HIExpress.com
$109
Fairfield Inn
All reviewsmurder mysteryking arthurcasserolehocking hillsclock towergypsy wagonsplaying board gamesyour mileage may varychess setsoup and sandwichescoach housefun place to hangmedieval timesgaming conventionget away from it allcell phone servicecastle rooms
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed in the King Arthur Suite from 11/30 until 12/2/12. It was really nice to be able to stay right inside the castle and even nicer to go upstairs to sleep in the total quietness. We loved the Jacuzzi in our room after a long day of exploring the Moonville Tunnel & Moonville cemetary and an excursion to The Mothman Museum. We awoke to the smell of fresh coffee brewing both mornings and that was so perfect to just get a cup of coffee, then go to breakfast. The breakfast buffet always included a hot casserole. The first day it was a pancake sausage bake and the next day a home made corned beef and potato casserole. also included was fresh fruit, milk, OJ and cereals and muffins. We didn't have the buffet dinners either day, cause we wanted to try some local restaurants we had explored prior to driving down to OH. But the dinner buffets looked and smelled wonderful on both days. The pub needs a iil work and the current light fare at the pub is soup and bread. So that is not really much to speak of, when you think of bellying up to the bar to sit and have drinks. The rooms were spotless and the staff was very accomodating, friendly and willing to please. The only real issue was the bed in the King Arthur Suite. It was extremely hard as a board. If I could make one recommendation, it would be to add a pillow top to make it more comfortable. All in all I loved my stay there and I would definitely come back to stay again. Thank you to the staff at Ravenwood for making this weekend getaway very special and enjoyable. Lisa & Rob (the King and Queen for the weekend) lol

Room Tip: King Arthur suite allows you to sleep in quiet and has a balcony to sit on outside of it :)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LisaVidMal
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Ravenwood for an anniversary weekend. We truly enjoyed it. We stayed in the woodcutter cottage and it was perfect/romantic. There was no cell phone service, no wifi, no cable and it was AWESOME! They have a library with a ton of dvd's in the basement of the castle that you can bring back to your room. Breakfast was delicious. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The only recommendation I have would be some clearer signage as it was very hard to tell which way to go on the tiny curvy road (especially since we arrived when it was dark out) as well as names/numbers on the individual cottages since you couldn't really tell which was which.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

I was searching for accomodations in the Hocking Hills region, and stumbled upon Ravenwood Castle. As we were celebrating a wedding anniversary, it seemed like a good fit. Additionally, this was going to be a suprise for my wife, so the pressure was on to pick well, and I'm happy to say I hit a homerun. The Castle was very interesting, decorated with renaissance pieces; the dining hall was grand and opulent, yet warm and inviting. The staff, well, they were first rate, and treated everyone like family, quickly attending to your every need...and the food! It has been years since I have really looked forward to breakfast, and it was wonderful every morning; everything freshly baked and delicious. We also enjoyed a buffet style dinner on Saturday evening that was first rate too. We chose to stay in the castle on this trip, but there are charming cottages located adjacent to the Castle, all with different themes; I intend to return with my nine y/o daughter next year, to stay in Cinderella's cottage. Throw in all of the many places to visit in the region, shopping, hiking, really too much to list, and you have found a great vacation getaway. Thanks to all at Ravenwood Castle, for making our stay such a memorable experience!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Marleyandmarley
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed in the Candle-makers room for two nights. The innkeepers do a great job and the setting makes a weekend away a real escape from the busy outside world. The breakfasts were delicious including the cinnamon buns on Sunday morning. This is a great place to stay for some peace and quiet.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DubUSA
Reviewed October 19, 2012

First off, let me say that we took our family to Ravenwood, including our three kids, because we thought they'd enjoy the idea of staying at a castle. We purposefully chose to stay in the Gypsy Wagons, which I'm sure had a huge bearing on our stay. So please read this taking that into account -- we were not in the castle proper.

First off, when we arrived, the power was out. I only mention this because apparently it's fairly common. There wasn't an obvious place to check-in, so we wandered through the main hall until we found someone. The main hall where breakfast is served is very nice and decorated with lots of neat "castle" stuff.

After checking-in, we visited the gypsy wagon. The wagon itself was about what we expected. Very small, but it did feature a microwave and small refrigerator. We actually slept pretty well in the wagon, so that wasn't really an issue.

My biggest issue was with the bathroom for the gypsy wagon. This was one of the features we liked about the gypsy wagons was that we still had our own bathroom. In reality, the separate bathroom was pretty nasty. I don't think I've been in a campsite bathroom that was any worse. It was basically a shack built of OSB with a shower, sink, and toilet. There were bugs everywhere and everything was moldy around the floor because water leaks from the shower. It just looked like whoever built the bathroom didn't put any effort into finishing it. So while it was nice that it was available, it wasn't something I care to return to any time soon.

Breakfast each morning was also a little bit disappointing. There was some fruit, muffins, juice, coffee, and a breakfast casserole of some type each morning. But it wasn't anything special. When I visit a B&B, I'm looking for something a little bit better than what I would usually have at home, but this really wasn't anything great. We considered skipping it on day two, but ended up staying out of ease.

We looked around the rest of the property, and all I can say is that if we had booked the Fairy Tale Village Cabins, I would have been frightened. They looked like shacks along a small stream at the base of the hill, well away from the rest of the castle. They did not look appealing, but we didn't see inside.

Our only other complaint was that there is really nothing that is closer than 15 miles to Ravenwood as far as restaurants go. There is a small town seven miles away with some limited options, but you really have to go a pretty good distance to find anything very substantial.

So overall, we slept fine in our wagon, but I'd be hard pressed to return. It seems like a good idea -- the castle, the breakfast, etc, but the execution is pretty rough around the edges. If someone put some money and time into Ravenwood Castle, I'm sure it could be a wonderful experience. But right now, it just feels like the owner is "getting by."

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Bret H
Jim R, Owner at Ravenwood Castle, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Thank you for your review. We strive to provide all of our guests the best possible experience, and I apologize that you didn't enjoy your stay.

To clarify your first point, however, power outages are not fairly common. Unfortunately on the day you stayed heavy winds knocked out power for approximately four hours across the southern end of the state. Tens of thousands of households were affected. Unfortunately there is little we can do to prevent grid-wide outages, that we have to leave in AEP's hands!

Your other major complaint is of far more concern to me. While the Gypsy Wagon restrooms are indeed private outdoor bath houses as you mention, they should be - and usually are - as clean as any other room on site. I apologize if they were not clean during your visit. That is most unusual, and I will speak to Housekeeping about it.

Finally, let me assure you that we are not just getting by with the status quo. We've only owned Ravenwood for a few months, and have already put considerable time and money into it's restoration. I believe our efforts - while far from complete - have met with some success as judged by the overall satisfaction of our guests sine June 1st.

I would urge you to return and stay with us again, perhaps in the castle proper or one of the Medieval Cottages, as those provide a more traditional bed and breakfast experience as compared to the notedly rustic nature of the Gypsy Wagons.