“Elegance and hometown rolled into one.”

Allison's Finer Diner
Ranked #8 of 78 Restaurants in Mount Vernon
Cuisines: American
Description: (740) 397-9923
Description: (740) 397-9923
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We had a party of 6 and arrived at the end of dinner rush. The restaurant was turning over and we were seated right away. They have a banquet facility and it was in use. Our server was prompt and took our drink orders and suggested the beverages that they carried including some bar items. My wife had a blue lagoon martini and I had the flip flop, while a friend ordered the peach sangria(homemade). We all sampled the drinks and they were tasty. My favorite was the peach sangria.

My wife had the cheeseburger with bacon and said it was a great burger. One friend ordered the patty melt and she is particular about patty melts and said it was delicious. Her husband had the fish and said it was tasty. The other couple had the chicken breast and said it was good. His wife ordered the portabella sandwich and had the soup de jour which was chicken corn chowder and she really enjoyed her meal. She said three times how great the soup was. The rolls are really good and addicting. I had the soup and salad which is all you can eat and opted for the chicken to be added. I had the chili the first time which was thick and meaty and the corn bread was moist and accompanied the chili nicely. The salad was good. For the second round I had the chicken corn chowder and had baby shrimp on the salad. The soup was good but I liked the chicken better than the shrimp.

We did not order dessert. The place was clean and we made note of the décor. We come here when in Mount Vernon and will continue to visit. A great place for couples, families, or just one.

Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

I haven't had a single bad experience there. Clean homey feel. Great food. Wonderful staff...homemade meatballs in the spaghetti sauce are out of this world fantastic! The chicken skewers are my absolute favorite...even their simple dinner salad is something to write about in a review, fresh crisp ingredients never wilty. The staff is so friendly and they treated me like I was family even on my very first visit. This really is by far the best place to eat in Mt. Vernon.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Simple menu, friendly staff, the food came out very quickly and was everything we expected. Very tasty. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Maybe this was a bad day for the restaurant, but the service and food was so bad I haven't returned.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

This restaurant has a huge menu of good old american food! (So hard to find these days). The prices are very reasonable and we always enjoy the fresh-made soups and homemade entrees. In a cookie-cutter world where every chain offers the same thing, Allison's stands alone.