“Perfect in Every Way”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Sterling
Hartville, Ohio
“Perfect in Every Way”
Reviewed June 18, 2010

This is the second time we have stayed at Deer Creek. The first time we rented a cabin which was great, we thoroughly enjoyed having our coffee out in the screened-in porch.

This time we decided to stay in the lodge and the room was one of the nicest we have ever stayed in. Very updated and very very clean. Everything you need including a private deck where we sat and watched the boats on the lake. The bed was wonderful too.

It would be hard to beat the dining room, which overlooks the lake and in the evening, deer come right up to the lodge. The gift shop is exceptional; the pool, the grounds, everything!

We loved our stay and can't wait to return. I would recommend this to anyone at all, and all ages. I can't say enough!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Stayed last weekend for a local triathlon event taking place in the park. Found the facility very nice for being “state run” to some degree. The staff was either truly fantastic or obviously state employees, there was no one in between. Some were amazingly helpful, others could not be bothered and seemed nearly angry to interact.

The grounds were beautiful, the facility pretty clean but a little worn. Certainly not a “first class” place but decent.

The food was pretty bad. Left a lot to be desired in quantity, quality and price.

Pool facilities were very nice for the kids, both indoor and outdoor, they had “s’more kits” and a bon fire for the kids, I was told they often have hay rides on the weekends, the grounds were very beautiful to walk

We were in town for a sporting event and a late checkout would have been very helpful. It was like pulling teeth and they were very unhappy to be asked for such a request, although it is highly unlikely there would be a high volume of Sunday afternoon check ins.

Will likely stay there again in September for a similar event due to lack of other options. Received a discounted rate for the event, full price would have left a much more negative impact as this is NOT a $150 a night place quality wise. If there were any competition nearby this place would fold quickly.

Internet did not work.

I think they need more “hospitality” oriented management, a mindset typically absent in most government operations.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Zanesville, Ohio
Reviewed May 21, 2010

If you're looking for a great getaway, this is the place. Terrific service and good, clean rooms. Best of all...it's peaceful, tranquil and there is plenty of wildlife to keep you entertained. Good food, too. We were on a weekend getaway and loved it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed May 5, 2010

I have been coming to Deer Creek State Park now since 2004. It's now under new management and is better than ever! The restaurant and bar is great along with conference facilities and a gift shop. The rooms are much nicer than most state parks and have been remodeled. I slept great and had groundhogs feeding just outside my patio in the grassy area outside my lake view room the next morning. It was a relaxing, nature setting, and I would go back anytime.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 26, 2010

The cabins at Deer Creek are a great place to getaway. All the comforts of home without the everyday worries. The setting is lovely, lots to do and convenient to Columbus.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
port clinton
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Nice cabin. Has sulfur water so will smell like rotten egg when hot.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Toledo, OH
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Things I liked:
- Room size (nice large room w/ table sitting area and patio)
- Beautiful grounds

Things I disliked:
- LOTS of bugs in the room (several spiders, flies, mosquitos, etc.) Found one spider in my 13 month old's bed one morning. Bees out on the balcony, so it was unusable. I know it's in the middle of the woods, but come on.
- Lack of food on premises. I was attending a conference where breakfast and lunch were provided. However, my partner and child had a hard time getting something to eat, as the resturaunt did not open when it said it was supposed to be opened. The location is very remote, so this caused quite a problem for us.
- Housekeeping staff never provided additional toilet paper and we actually ran out on our last day. Tried calling the front desk about it a couple of times, but the line just kept ringing and ringing. Thank God for baby wipes.
- Service. Front desk people didn't seem to know what was going on most of the time. Couldn't find my reservation when I first arrived. Couldn't find the waitress to open up the resturaunt on the 2nd night of our trip. Couldn't tell me whether or not we could check out a bit later or not (checkout was noon but my conference ended at 2. Were my partner and 13 month old just supposed to hang out in the lobby for 2 hours? Maybe they could have lunch. Oh, wait, there was no food!) Seemed to be overwhelmed by all the business travelers from the big city.
- I was double charged for both our hotel stay AND the dinner that we ate on the 2nd night when the resturaunt (finally) opened. Still dealing with this...
- I made reservations for a King bed, and when we got to our room, there were 2 doubles. Would have gone back and asked to be moved if it wasn't 11 pm and we'd been driving for 9 hours.
- The beds were the worst hotel beds I've ever slept in, hands down. Need to replace those matresses. After 2 nights my back was killing me. 2 skimpy pillows on each bed. And they were so small my partner and I decided to just sleep in separate beds.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank TeacherLadyToledo_OH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Sterling
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Circleville
Baymont Inn & Suites Washington Court House
Holiday Inn Express Washington Court House
Holiday Inn Express Washington C...
#1 of 3 in Washington Court House
Christopher Inn & Suites
Christopher Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in Chillicothe
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Circleville
Hampton Inn and Suites Chillicothe

Been to Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!