“Relaxation at it's finest”

Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Sterling
Millvilletravelers
“Relaxation at it's finest”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Deer Creek Lodge and cottages. The location of this wonderful place is just minutes from Grove City and major highways. The staff is so polite, the grounds are clean and the cottages offer the best place to gather with friends and family. We live in New Jersey and only get back to Ohio once a year. We stay at Deer Creek because of the service, pricing and its so peaceful. We give Deer Creek Lodge 5 Stars out of 4 possible.

Room Tip: Cottages offer a real home feel!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
William G, General Manager at Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
We know you have many choices in the area when it comes to picking a place to stay. We are very pleased to hear you had a great stay with us and we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

This was a hard review to write. There were bad things and good things. I feel that all the bad things were corrected and the good things well made up for the bad. The restaurant food is very overpriced and tasted blah. Don't eat there. The rooms are spacious and well laid out. A nice 32"LCD television was in the room but only got analog channels. This was the first trip with our newborn and I was hoping he would be quiet at night so not to disturb people. He was okay but the ball bouncing and running in the halls at 4am was so load that woke us all up.

I would recommend this place and I will be staying here again.

One other thing... If you do not like animals be sure to ask for second floor as we had raccoons and ground hogs trying to get into our room and were constantly on the radio.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
William G, General Manager at Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Congratulations on your newborn. It’s great to think that their first trip was to an Ohio State Park and that they will have many more years growing up in such a great park system. I’m happy to read that what issues you had were taken care of and overshadowed by the good things you experienced. We look forward to your next visit
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Considering Ohio's place as a premier state park destination, I had higher expectations for Deer Creek.

I think it's the times . . . courtesy just isn't a learned behavior anymore. That said, Brenda at the front desk is a gem. She was pleasant no matter what we threw at her, a genuine ambassador for Deer Creek. Kudos, too, to Chris from maintenance (who jump-started our car), Cheyenne (one of our waitresses) and all of the ladies in the gift shop (we stopped in every day of our three-night stay).

We saw a number of deer, a flock of wild turkey, lots of groundhogs, squirrels and rabbits. The lake is beautiful, and this is a great place for nature lovers.

Now the bad: Our toilet was clogged almost the entire time, and no one seemed to be able to fix it. During our final day and night, we had to use the lobby restrooms. This was very difficult, and Deer Creek did issue a small rebate for our inconvenience.

Our hiking experiences were great, but one of the trails had two large washes with trash, bottles, and even old tires. A nature blind was partly dismantled, and the dismantled parts simply thrown aside. Awful. I can't get over tires thrown around in a beautiful state park forest (and not cleaned up!! Come on, staff!!).

Be careful with dining. Our first night, we had Chesapeake Chicken with lemon and crab sauce. It was out of this world good. Five stars!! The second night, the buttermilk-fried chicken was undercooked and inedible (one piece was raw about a half-inch from the bone). We did not eat in the dining room after that. Service was the same: One waitress friendly and engaged, the next going through the motions.

Other than the toilet, the room had a very comfortable bed (but hardly any cable selection on the tube. Not even Fox News!). Maid service was good (although she failed to make the bed one day . . . didn't even spread it up).

As you see . . . you just never know from one day to the next at Deer Creek. Overall, it was not a bad stay, but we expected more from an Ohio state park. That's what you get when you contract Xanterra to come in and run your properties.

Room Tip: I rated our room "terrible" because of the unsolved toilet problem. However, this is one...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Foliageguy
I apologize for the inconsistent service you received during your visit. We take pride in offering great service consistently and we need to follow through in order for this to happen. I will be looking into the issues you brought up as well as forwarding your comments to the park office concerning the trail conditions. Thank you for bringing these issues to light so we may address them.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Five and a half hour drive with a detour made me miserable especially since I am disabled and very large. I was not expecting much but a miserable week. I was WRONG!!! We were there for an outdoor wedding and we arrived 3 days early and stayed for 5 days. I couldn't believe how wonderful the staff was to me from Housekeeping to Maintenance all the way up to the front desk. They all did everything to make our stay pleasurable and they did. We were there the first 3 days while there was a huge conference in attendance, but they still had time for us. The A/C in our room didn't work and they tried to fix it but couldn't, so they gave me a fan and that helped so much. I am a Polar Bear and I like it cool. (It wasn't their fault the A/C decided to quit working).
The dining room food was good and the staff was great. We ate dinner there once, but ate breakfast everyday. Chef Nick was outstanding and prepared a "Pittsburgh Steak" which he only knew how to prepare. It was like being home. Though the Lodge was old, you could tell they try everything to make it comfortable. You can't please everyone. The view of the lake was wonderful and the outdoor wedding was fantastic and beautiful. We will travel there again and again. I've stayed at many places, but this one pulled out all the stops. Thank you staff at Deer Creek Lodge.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for such great comments. It is letters such as yours that make us proud to work here at Deer Creek. I have shared this letter with the other departments as it is always good to share our guests’ positive experiences. Thanks again and we are glad you enjoyed your time here at the lodge.
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Went here for a wedding, and stayed overnight in the lodge. The wedding was in one of the ballrooms and was nice. The buffet style dinner was okay. The lodge is old, but they seem to take pretty good care of it. The rooms are very dated, but they were clean. For some reason, our room had 3 desks in it. The beds were so-so, relative to comfort. This is not a place you would go to for a fancy room or to be pampered. But it is a great place for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Ohio State Parks offer a great venue for weddings! Deer Creek host many weddings each year and I am happy to hear everything went well. We are currently working on several upgrades to the lodge and based on funding hope to have a major renovation soon. Hopefully we will see you again soon on a weekend getaway!
Zanesville, Ohio
Reviewed October 8, 2013

It's been a long time since I have stayed at one of Ohio's State Park Lodges. Deer Creek was very nice. It does need some updating. But the scenery and wildlife were so wonderful. The lake is beautiful and the leaves were starting to change color. I have my own personal groundhog greet me every morning and evening when I was on my porch. The staff were very courteous. The food in the restaurant and at the conference was great. If you need to get away from it all or want to have a retreat where you can focus on the tasks at hand, Deer Creek is perfect. No malls, shopping centers, etc. close by. Thank you Deer Creek!!!

Room Tip: Get a lake facing room. Wake up to the sun coming up over the lake.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
I would like to thank you for your comments concerning your stay here at the Lodge. It is always good to hear how well our guests have enjoyed their stay here. We are working on some updates to the lodge and I hope we are fortunate to see you again in the future.
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

After printing off the directions from the Deer Creek Lodge website, we discovered that a key road leading to the entrance and spent 45 minutes lost and on the phone with the desk staff. When we arrived, there were two other people in line to check in. The staff was "in training" and it took 20 minutes to get checked in. The lodge itself was nice, with a beautiful view overlooking the lake. The pool (indoor and outdoor) looked nice and we enjoyed the hot tub. We decided to eat at the onsite restaurant. The food was reasonably priced and nicely prepared, but they were understaffed and everything took a very long time. The room itself was nice, but over priced-- we have stayed in similar rooms for almost half the cost. The little balcony was dirty. When we checked out, the manager asked me if we enjoyed our stay. I shared my observations. Instead of apologizing, she was defensive and argued with me, which seemed unprofessional. I don't think we would recommend this place to our friends because it was not a good value.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Judy R
I apologize that the detour information was hard to find on our web page. The good news is the bridge has been completed and the detour is no longer an issue. I have followed up with the appropriate departments about the issues you had during your stay as it is definitely not up to our standards. We have enacted several changes that should address these issues head on...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Sterling
Holiday Inn Express Washington Court House
Holiday Inn Express Washington C...
#1 of 3 in Washington Court House
Country Hearth Inn & Suites Washington Court House
Country Hearth Inn & Suites Wash...
#3 of 3 in Washington Court House
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Circleville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington Court House Jeffersonville
Baymont Inn & Suites Washington Court House
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Circleville

Been to Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!