“Better than expected for a State Park Lodge”

Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Sterling
Columbus, Ohio
“Better than expected for a State Park Lodge”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband, 3 children (11, 8, 5 years) and I stayed at the Deer Creek State Park Lodge for Labor Day weekend 2013 and were pleased with the overall quality and very impressed with the service. Zenia at the front desk was super nice, efficient, and greeted us by name several times over the course of our stay. We ate dinner at Rafter's Restaurant in the lodge, which overlooked the lake and the food and service were very good.

Deer Creek is a beautiful state park 45 minutes south of Columbus with a 1,300 acre lake, wooded trails, a lodge and cabins for rent. The pool was a fun family pastime, as were the hiking trails. We also rented a pontoon boat from the marina and fished, picnicked and swam from the boat -- the boat experience was the highlight of the trip. We also took part in a wagon ride and water balloon toss at the lodge.

The facilities are dated and even the refurbished rooms we stayed in had some issues --- the beds and bathroom countertops had been redone, but the tile in the bathtubs were iffy and the overall feel was not luxurious --- functional facilities in a beautiful natural setting with a lot of friendly, capable employees, but not luxurious. (this is not a knock on the property, but it's not the place to go for a 5-star stay, which probably makes it more comfortable for families anyway)

Room Tip: We enjoyed our lake view rooms. The pool view rooms would have likely been too noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Londonderry, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was invited to a wedding in August of 2013 at the Deer Creek State park in Mt. Sterling, Ohio. Having driven through Ohio several times over my lifetime and seeing mostly the industrial areas of Ohio, I wasn't expecting much to be quite honest. Boy I was wrong! My stay at Deer Creek State Park was one of the best adventures of my life. The people who worked for the Park were very courteous and professional and we never felt like there were going to be any unwanted surprises (There weren't). The grounds were very well kept and quite beautiful in my opinion. There were trails to hike and many place to ride a bike, (rentals were available for a fair price). There was an indoor and outdoor pool with a lifeguard (outdoor) and plenty of towels (no charge). The first night we arrived, we were sent to a private area off to the side of the Lodge where a campfire was lit for us, a bar was brought outside, and a volleyball pit awaited us. We had a lot of fun and it was a great way to wind down from the long road trip as a lot of the guests had made the trek from New England in thier automobiles and had been ariving since the previous day. The arcade was a great way for the kids to get away from the adults for awhile and win tokens to and claim their wonderful prizes. The games were fully automated and once or twice a game would have a technical problem but the maintenance crew were right there to remedy the problem. My 7 year old son hit a 1000 coupon prize and that made his day. Some of the other activities that were available were fishing, boat and jet ski rentals as well as canoe and Kayak rentals. The lake is a man-made lake that was built from 1965-68 if I remember correctly by the Army Corp. of Engineers (They are actually the safety patrols on the lake). There was a dam built in order to create the lake and there are tours every morning for those interested in such things. I wanted to go but could not get anyone else to join me. I will defenitely take the tour the next time I am there. We did see Deer, which we didn't find surprising, hence the name of the park. I also saw, wild turkeys, turtles, raccoons, groundhogs, and many colorful birds, all of which added to the beauty of this park. The restaurant and pub were quite nice as well and very reasonably priced. The restaurant offers a morning breakfast buffet which is quite nice. After the second day, I noticed that I was beginning to feel less stressed and before I knew it, I was having one of the best vacations of my life and to top it off, the wedding was beautiful. It took place outside in the gazebo which was located by the water. It was supposed to rain that day but a few of the guests did a rain dance and apparently it worked much to our surprise. The sun came out for the wedding and everyone was thrilled. I would recommend this Park to everyone and I truly hope I get the chance to return one day, maybe for my own wedding which I am hoping will be soon. I would definitely consider Deer Creek State Park to make my matrimonial vows.

Room Tip: If you like seeing wildlife up front and close, ask for a room facing the Lake and you will see racc...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Scott C
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at the resort for a reunion over the July 4th holiday. Our check in was quick and the bunk room was nice. The staff that we had contact with were very nice even during our scavenger hunt that involved pictures with them. The restaurant was good. My kids loved the mac and cheese! The pools worked well with our group. We would definitely consider returning here for another reunion.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights for a conference, and enjoyed the stay. Nice outdoor and indoor pools, the lake views are beautiful, and the golf course was in nice shape. The rooms were clean and spacious and included a mini-fridge. The only drawback I found was that the food was very average and you're a pretty good drive from anything else. We were with a conference and had buffet style meals, so maybe the food was different in the restaurant ?

Overall, I think this would be a nice family weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Tenerife
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

This was our last stop on a 5 day tour of several Ohio State Parks so we were anxious to see how Deer Creek compared to the others. Check-in was fast and easy and because we arrived at the onset of a huge storm, we were lucky we could head to the indoor pool ( the water temperature was like bath water so of course my kids stayed in extra long and had a blast! the hot tub was nice, too, not overly hot like in some hotels). My only gripe about the indoor pool was the fact that the restroom/changing area had too much water accumulation on the floor so I opted to head back to my room instead of using the pool restroom). Our room was cozy and clean with a set of bunks for the kids and a nice balcony. However, when we arrived, we noticed the sliding door screen off its hinges. I immediately called the front desk and they sent a maintenance man who brought a new screen, although that didn't fit. He apologized and said he'd have to fix the old one, but that one never did appear. Oh, well, we had the glass doors shut and the AC on anyway. The restaurant view of the lake was goegeous and our server very friendly, especially accomodating with the children's meals. Whoever mixed my whiskey sour in the bar did an AMAZING job. My only complaint about the crab and scallop appetizers is that they were way too small.
We took advantage of the clear weather the following morning to use the outdoor pool, playground and tennis court... all in very good condition.
All the staff I encountered, even at the gift shop, were very friendly.
Deer Creek Lodge is a place my family would consider visiting again one day.

• Stayed July 2013
massachusetts
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel has many nice features: Pretty lake and views, nice hotel rooms, good pool, and decent food. We encountered many problems, though. My name was so absurdly misspelled that it took close to two hours before they found the reservation. The bed was decent, a little saggy, but OK. The service in the restaurant was pitiful. The staff, though friendly, was overworked and it took forever to get the food. Some of us were served a half hour after the others at the table.

I was really disappointed that the computer in the business center was broken and had seemingly been so for months. I don't know of a single hotel these days that doesn't offer a terminal so people can check e-mail. Especially a hotel that boasts about having business meetings. Not everyone travels with a laptop or has a mobile device. It was an imposition this time because a family member needed medical treatment and I needed to be in touch.

I don't think the hallway carpets were routinely vacuumed. I saw the same bit of dirt by my room for three days. Also, towels by the pool were not always available.

Worst of all was a relative's fall on the pool deck, as described by another reviewer. The mirky, slippery water was there for some time and should have been removed. But what was scary was the lack of basic first aid treatment.

Room Tip: It's quieter with the lakeside views. Though you get to see some begging wildlife.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank leftwing
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have stayed here every year for 24 years. This is the worst service I've ever received. Charisa and Ruth at the front desk had no clue what was going on with my room for 2 whole hours. i work at a hotel and know company policies. my room was not released from housekeeping even after i have told them she had left my room. instead of ag
sking housekeeping to release my room she advised me she couldnt do that. i had to go up to the front desk and attempt to be checked in 5 times before given a room key. that sure is a lot of walking and going out of my way to be treated so horribly.

• Stayed July 2013
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington Court House Jeffersonville
Hampton Inn and Suites Chillicothe
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chillicothe
Holiday Inn Express Washington Court House
Holiday Inn Express Washington C...
#1 of 3 in Washington Court House
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Circleville

Been to Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!