“Nice, relaxing getaway weekend.”

Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Sterling
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We met friends for a weekend break from the hustle and bustle and for the money Deer Creek Lodge definitely delivered. The views of the lake were outstanding from the lobby and attached patios. The entire resort was very clean including rooms, public areas and pools. The entire staff that we had contact with was outstanding. Very friendly and helpful including housekeeping, front desk, activity director and lifeguards. Our only disappointment was the food and service at the restaurant. It was average at best, although the fried catfish was pretty good. The restaurant clearly was not up to the level of everything else here. Nice little gift shop and the lounge served an outstanding pizza. Next time will definitely use the lounge more.

Room Tip: We did not pay extra for a lake view and will do so next time.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I attended a three-day professional conference at Deer Creek. This is the perfect place for such events. The total experience promotes collaboration and creative thinking. The rooms are comfortable and attractive with lovely views. The food, served buffet style to our members, was delicious. I was impressed with the staff who made every effort to accommodate us. The architecture of the lodge brought nature indoors due to the large open design and expansive views of the lake. The proximity to an airport made this a good location since a number of attendees came from various areas of the U.S.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We had a room with a view of Deer Creek Lake and it was beautiful; covered
balcony makes enjoying the view very nice.
The rooms are well maintained. The lodge dining room has a wonderful view
of the lake. The breakfast we had was average, but the ambiance and service
were great.
Only caveat I have is, don't buy the "Starbucks" coffee in the gift shop ---- not good.

Room Tip: Pick a second floor (only 2 floors) with balcony and lake view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2013

If I could afford a little place at the lake, I would book a season at Deer Creek State Resort Park. Well, I can't, so I went out of my way (by about 1/2 hour) to stay here. I booked a lodge room--cabins are also available--and paid the extra $10 for a room with a "lake or woods view." I requested and was fortunate to get a lake view room, although I think all the rooms are beautifully appointed and immaculate. The public areas and paths have stunning views of the lake, so I think any room would be more than acceptable.

A state park is usually not much more expensive than a motel, especially during shoulder season, and so much nicer. Whenever they are available and not too far off my route, I choose the parks. Even by the usually high state park standards, Deer Creek is exceptional. In terms of size, appointments and amenities, it's closer to a luxury hotel than a standard lodge.

Staff members throughout are extremely accommodating. They seem to be particularly proud of their facility and happy to be there. There is a corporate emphasis on ecological concerns, with many innovative practices, which I appreciated. (Oddly, the lawn below the balconies was littered with cigarette butts, which was quite unsightly and might encourage rule-breaking; I hope management will attend to this.) The gift shop had quality merchandise at decent prices, and I thought the restaurant fare was quite good. Admittedly, having to buy breakfast increases the cost of one's stay over that of motels with "free" breakfast, but fresh made-to-order eggs and hot bacon beat reconstituted eggs and cellophane-wrapped, sugar-laden junk food that passes for breakfast at so many establishments (although I'm not a total snob and do take advantage of those when made available.)

Honestly, my only quibble (besides the butts) was the overstuffed, rock-hard pillows. I didn't ask the staff if others were available, but just in case I'll bring my own next time. There will definitely be a next time!

Room Tip: If views are important, pay the extra $10 for a lake or woods view room. Check the other reviews re...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This property is wonderful for families or just to get away on your own. The staff could not have been more accomodating. The food in the lodge restaurant was very good. Views from the lodge are great and the hikes were easy and full of lots of flora and fauna.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed overnight for a professional workshop. The catered food for the workshop was very good, but the restaurant food was subpar when we stayed about a year ago.We asked the server about wine, and he said "Oh yes, I think we have both kinds." He meant red and white.

The other accomodations are fine: nice pool with hot tub, attentive staff, and best of all, good environmental practices.

Special features: lots of wildlife visible from the dining room windows overlooking the lake, to take your mind off your food.

Room Tip: Poolside not very scenic. Ask for lakeside or woodside.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Deer Creek Lodge is quite nice, and the staff is lovely.

We booked the Harding Cabin - thinking that it would be a nice cabin in the woods for our party of 3.

What the pictures don't show is that the cabin is located at the Boat Launch. So there is a big parking lot, and the cabin sits on this strip between the parking lot and the water. The stairs to the water are in front of the cabin, which I thought was nice - but apparently don't belong to the cabin. So, there were people wandering around, down the stairs and fishing etc. It all felt really strange. For three women - it was a bit spooky to have strangers wandering around close to the property at night and early in the morning. It was still winter, so there were not a lot of people, but the parking lot looks like it holds about 40 cars, so I can only imagine what it would be like in the summer. And the bright street lamps from the parking lot were not the "woodsy" feel we were going for.

The cabin itself is interesting. They say that there are three bedrooms upstairs - but I think that is a big stretch. The bedrooms are laid out in a U shape - one big bedroom in the back, with two bedrooms on either side - BUT you have to walk through one or the other of the side bedrooms to get to the big one. The little bedrooms are basically cubbies that have a little twin bed and not much else. Not the privacy that we were hoping for in our party.

The first floor of the cabin is really nice, the bathroom well laid out. The kitchen is also nice - but it could use a few extra things to make it better. There were TONS of plates, but no serving bowls. No sharp knives, no paper towels. Just a few extra things would have made a big difference.

Lastly, the water is well water and very hard. Not a problem, unless you want to drink it. I'm sure it's totally safe, but there is something distasteful about looking at a glass of yellow water. And it smelled like well water. I wish I had known that, because I would have made arrangements to bring bottled water with me.

We were glad that we got to see the inside of the cabin, but we wouldn't book it again.

Room Tip: The Harding Cabin is fine if you can live with less than comfortable/private accommodations. Otherwi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Circleville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington Court House Jeffersonville

Been to Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!