If I could afford a little place at the lake, I would book a season at Deer Creek State Resort Park. Well, I can't, so I went out of my way (by about 1/2 hour) to stay here. I booked a lodge room--cabins are also available--and paid the extra $10 for a room with a "lake or woods view." I requested and was fortunate to get a lake view room, although I think all the rooms are beautifully appointed and immaculate. The public areas and paths have stunning views of the lake, so I think any room would be more than acceptable.
A state park is usually not much more expensive than a motel, especially during shoulder season, and so much nicer. Whenever they are available and not too far off my route, I choose the parks. Even by the usually high state park standards, Deer Creek is exceptional. In terms of size, appointments and amenities, it's closer to a luxury hotel than a standard lodge.
Staff members throughout are extremely accommodating. They seem to be particularly proud of their facility and happy to be there. There is a corporate emphasis on ecological concerns, with many innovative practices, which I appreciated. (Oddly, the lawn below the balconies was littered with cigarette butts, which was quite unsightly and might encourage rule-breaking; I hope management will attend to this.) The gift shop had quality merchandise at decent prices, and I thought the restaurant fare was quite good. Admittedly, having to buy breakfast increases the cost of one's stay over that of motels with "free" breakfast, but fresh made-to-order eggs and hot bacon beat reconstituted eggs and cellophane-wrapped, sugar-laden junk food that passes for breakfast at so many establishments (although I'm not a total snob and do take advantage of those when made available.)
Honestly, my only quibble (besides the butts) was the overstuffed, rock-hard pillows. I didn't ask the staff if others were available, but just in case I'll bring my own next time. There will definitely be a next time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by more than 3,100 tranquil acres, Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center is just 30 minutes south of Columbus, Ohio. We offer 110 guestrooms perfect for a quiet and romantic weekend getaway or a fun-filled family reunion. All lodge guestrooms have a private balcony or patio to give you a scenic view of the park, lake or outdoor pool. We also have 25 two-bedroom cottages (three with roll-in showers), each with a fully equipped kitchen, full bath, living room, dining area and a screened-in porch. Rafter's Restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner; the gift shop operates seven days a week. Our 18-hole championship golf course is diverse, challenging and exciting for golfers of all skill levels. Other things to do: boating, fishing, hiking, cycling, camping, and many more recreational activities! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Travelocity and HotelQuickly so you can book your Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Deer Creek Hotel Mount Sterling
- Deer Creek Lodge And Conference Center Ohio/Mount Sterling