“I want to live here!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Sterling
Chattanooga, TN
“I want to live here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

If I could afford a little place at the lake, I would book a season at Deer Creek State Resort Park. Well, I can't, so I went out of my way (by about 1/2 hour) to stay here. I booked a lodge room--cabins are also available--and paid the extra $10 for a room with a "lake or woods view." I requested and was fortunate to get a lake view room, although I think all the rooms are beautifully appointed and immaculate. The public areas and paths have stunning views of the lake, so I think any room would be more than acceptable.

A state park is usually not much more expensive than a motel, especially during shoulder season, and so much nicer. Whenever they are available and not too far off my route, I choose the parks. Even by the usually high state park standards, Deer Creek is exceptional. In terms of size, appointments and amenities, it's closer to a luxury hotel than a standard lodge.

Staff members throughout are extremely accommodating. They seem to be particularly proud of their facility and happy to be there. There is a corporate emphasis on ecological concerns, with many innovative practices, which I appreciated. (Oddly, the lawn below the balconies was littered with cigarette butts, which was quite unsightly and might encourage rule-breaking; I hope management will attend to this.) The gift shop had quality merchandise at decent prices, and I thought the restaurant fare was quite good. Admittedly, having to buy breakfast increases the cost of one's stay over that of motels with "free" breakfast, but fresh made-to-order eggs and hot bacon beat reconstituted eggs and cellophane-wrapped, sugar-laden junk food that passes for breakfast at so many establishments (although I'm not a total snob and do take advantage of those when made available.)

Honestly, my only quibble (besides the butts) was the overstuffed, rock-hard pillows. I didn't ask the staff if others were available, but just in case I'll bring my own next time. There will definitely be a next time!

Room Tip: If views are important, pay the extra $10 for a lake or woods view room. Check the other reviews re...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Hilliard, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This property is wonderful for families or just to get away on your own. The staff could not have been more accomodating. The food in the lodge restaurant was very good. Views from the lodge are great and the hikes were easy and full of lots of flora and fauna.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Oxford, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed overnight for a professional workshop. The catered food for the workshop was very good, but the restaurant food was subpar when we stayed about a year ago.We asked the server about wine, and he said "Oh yes, I think we have both kinds." He meant red and white.

The other accomodations are fine: nice pool with hot tub, attentive staff, and best of all, good environmental practices.

Special features: lots of wildlife visible from the dining room windows overlooking the lake, to take your mind off your food.

Room Tip: Poolside not very scenic. Ask for lakeside or woodside.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Deer Creek Lodge is quite nice, and the staff is lovely.

We booked the Harding Cabin - thinking that it would be a nice cabin in the woods for our party of 3.

What the pictures don't show is that the cabin is located at the Boat Launch. So there is a big parking lot, and the cabin sits on this strip between the parking lot and the water. The stairs to the water are in front of the cabin, which I thought was nice - but apparently don't belong to the cabin. So, there were people wandering around, down the stairs and fishing etc. It all felt really strange. For three women - it was a bit spooky to have strangers wandering around close to the property at night and early in the morning. It was still winter, so there were not a lot of people, but the parking lot looks like it holds about 40 cars, so I can only imagine what it would be like in the summer. And the bright street lamps from the parking lot were not the "woodsy" feel we were going for.

The cabin itself is interesting. They say that there are three bedrooms upstairs - but I think that is a big stretch. The bedrooms are laid out in a U shape - one big bedroom in the back, with two bedrooms on either side - BUT you have to walk through one or the other of the side bedrooms to get to the big one. The little bedrooms are basically cubbies that have a little twin bed and not much else. Not the privacy that we were hoping for in our party.

The first floor of the cabin is really nice, the bathroom well laid out. The kitchen is also nice - but it could use a few extra things to make it better. There were TONS of plates, but no serving bowls. No sharp knives, no paper towels. Just a few extra things would have made a big difference.

Lastly, the water is well water and very hard. Not a problem, unless you want to drink it. I'm sure it's totally safe, but there is something distasteful about looking at a glass of yellow water. And it smelled like well water. I wish I had known that, because I would have made arrangements to bring bottled water with me.

We were glad that we got to see the inside of the cabin, but we wouldn't book it again.

Room Tip: The Harding Cabin is fine if you can live with less than comfortable/private accommodations. Otherwi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank JMWDEL
Grove City, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Deer Creek Lodge is my childrens favorite place to stay, we usually stay several times a year. My children love the indoor swimming pool and video game room during the winter months. The summer they enjoy the outdoor pools and playground. We have created some really wonderful memories with our children by staying at the lodge.

• Stayed March 2013
Vandalia, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Deer Creek Lodge was a fantastic place to stay for the week-end in late January. The staff was fantastic. The restaurant had wonderful view of the snow covered, iced-covered lake. The rooms were wonderful. Our group, 205, had reserved almost all the rooms and a couple of the cabins at the resort. There were two issues we encountered but were resolved. A boiler went out Friday night and some of the rooms didn't have any hot water Saturday morning but the boiler was repaired and there was plenty of hot water on Sunday morning. In case you're wondering, I took a hot shower Friday night but my wife had to take a cool shower Saturday morning. Our group had a dinner Saturday night in one of the large conference rooms which was catered by the restaurant and it was very good. There is a pretty good chance our group will return next year, it all depends on how willing the resort will negotiation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Was looking forward to a wonderful weekend while attending the wedding of a relative. The property is beautiful and my room had a fantastic veiw of the lake, but the rooms are a disaster. At least four people in the group had to change rooms because of bathroom or heating problems (NONE of us got so much as a "We're so sorry for your troubles"......front desk staff were less than friendly). Our second room was quite dirty, and the shower water temperature was freezing. Both of my daughters said the water in their rooms was the same. I expected much better from a Xanterra property, especially one where the room rates were not especially cheap. I finally got tired of apologizing to other relatives in our group and just started agreeing - the place was pretty much a dump!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank buddyholly8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Sterling
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Circleville
Baymont Inn & Suites Washington Court House
Holiday Inn Express Washington Court House
Holiday Inn Express Washington C...
#1 of 3 in Washington Court House
Christopher Inn & Suites
Christopher Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in Chillicothe
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Circleville
Hampton Inn and Suites Chillicothe

Been to Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!