“Business conference, great location”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Sterling
Youngstown, Ohio
“Business conference, great location”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Arrived on Wednesday for a 2 day conference and was very impressed with the overall look and feel of Deer Creek Park. Rooms were very nice, meeting facilities were good, food was ok, but that had more to do with the conference organizers than Deer Creek. Plan on going back to try out a cottage for a few days to explore a bit more. Very nice!

Room Tip: We enjoyed a patio room on the pool, no real problem with noise and appreciated the ability to walk...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Maryville, TN
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We recently had our family reunion at Deer Creek. We reserved the 5 cabins a year in advance and the one shown to us was presentable at that time. We spent the night in a room at the Lodge and it was beautiful, clean and the beds were so very comfortable. One year later, the cabin saga was such a disappointment. We had 7 families for 5 cabins, each cabin no better than the next. All were dirty and there were cobwebs everywhere, plus screens in porches that were ripped or in need of repair. One kitchen oven had so much grease in it that it caught fire while baking in it on the first morning. When the cleaning lady came in to clean the oven and stove she told me she was the only cleaning person on staff every day. We had to put sheets and blankets on the bunk beds ourselves because they were not made and the sheets were so wrinkled that you would think they sat in the dryer for days after without folding. One family had to move out to another cabin because their shower turned on but not off. After moving to the next cabin, they had to wash dishes and glasses because of chocolate milk dried in a glass and "stuff" dried on dishes. None of the toilets would flush completely unless one held the handle down till "everything" was gone. Numerous other little things made the cabins the dirtiest and poorly maintained than any we had ever stayed in over the 10 years of family reunions at state parks around the country. The staff at the lodge were all pleasant and helpful. Becky was very attentive to complaints and sent someone out to fix things. Xanterra Properties needs to do something about the cleanliness and upkeep on the cabins. They are seriously lacking. Both pools were clean and well maintained and there were plenty of activities such as ping pong, game room, etc. to keep the children and adults busy. The reunion was a success but the cabins were a sore issue.

Room Tip: Lodge rooms are beautiful and comfortable. Cabins are a disaster.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for selecting Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center for your recent family getaway and for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We value each guest, as we know that you have a choice when deciding where to stay while here in Mt. Sterling.

I was concerned to hear about your experience with your cottage here at Deer Creek, because it indicates a lack of attention to detail on the part of our staff. I have discussed your concerns at length with the Executive Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize on their behalf. Based in part by your experience we have incorporated several changes to address such issues more effectively and our team is doing a round of preventative maintenance to address issues in the future. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it.

Thank you again for your feedback, we truly appreciate knowing about our guest’s experiences so that we can address our challenges to better serve you. We look forward to seeing you many times in the future.

Warmest Regards,
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We checked in before we were scheduled and when we arrived to our room we did not like our view, so we went to the front desk and they physically walked us to two more rooms and we made our selection. They gave us a new room and it didn't cost us nothing more! We had a blast and we the beds were so soft and comfortable. I would recommend this lodge to others for a great get-away and a place to bring your family. There is plenty to do so bring your tennis shoes and let your hair down, because this is a place of action and non-stop fun!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view are beautiful!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Natasha T
Columbus, OH
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My family and I spent the weekend at Deer Creek Cabins to celebrate my retirement from 35 years of teaching. The cabin was beautiful, the view breathtaking, and the staff was welcoming. There were 6 of us in the cabin and there was plenty of room. The pool at the lodge was well maintained and the grounds were well taken care of. Thank you for a wonderful weekend!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary L
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My Mother and I drove to Deer Creek State Park to meet friends who live in Ohio for the purpose of celebrating my birthday. We arrived on a Friday and were scheduled to leave on Monday. We ended up leaving a day early (Sunday) and this is why... Our cabin was less than impressive. So many little things could have been corrected before renting the unit that would have made our visit a pleasant one. The screened-in porch was charming, however a large portion of the screen was torn--allowing all kinds of insects and bugs to wonder into our cabin. My 80 year old mother stood on a chair and tried to tape the screen but her efforts were unsuccessful. I could not assist her as I am in a wheelchair. The front screen door did not work properly and when we called for assistance, someone was sent to repair the door but shortly after the door was back to it's non-working status; it wouldn't close! The lighting was so poor in the cabin that we actually bought a small "college dorm-type" lamp so we could see. The light in the main hall between the bedrooms had a burned out light bulb (I'm assuming) and when the front desk was notified the issue was never addressed. When we first arrived there was garbage at the entrance to our cabin; plastic plates, cups and other debris. It was as if the staff blatantly ignored the mess because it certainly was visible to us. We took it upon ourselves to pick up the strewn trash. In addition, when exploring the grounds we were surprised to see empty water bottles all over the grass by the gazebo, along with other trash. It was clear there had been a wedding celebration as the water bottles were personalized. However one would think the grounds would be cleaned immediately afterwards and made presentable for guests. Many of the doors were not handicap accessible. I found this strange because some doors were, yet it seemed so random. The game room was "cute" but looked like it had been quite a while since the machines were scrubbed down. The air hockey machine had grime and sticky spots all over it and I also found it very difficult to maneuver my wheelchair around the room because the machines were placed so closely together. We were looking forward to bringing home some gifts to family and friends but the gift shop hours also seemed random. We and two other groups waited 45 minutes for the gift shop girl to return from a break? The front desk reps were aware of this but were less than pro-active in trying to accommodate the group of would-be shoppers. Our visit to Deer Creek Lodge's cabin wasn't a total disaster but our basic, elementary expectations were not met. Instead, we felt like we were staying in a sub-par motel in Akron. NOT ONCE did we EVER see a maintenance person on the grounds or around the entire property. To no fault of the facility, the icing on the cake was when our cabin neighbors had a knock-down hillbilly domestic argument on the morning they were leaving. An unbelievable classless display of slapping children, swearing at the top of their lungs and making threats to each other somehow seemed par for the course. Sadly, this was the most interesting and exciting thing we encountered at Deer Creek. Quite disappointed and have no plans to return to this facility nor will we recommend the property to any family members or friends. Mr. Griffin, it's time to raise a little hell with corporate. Either get the financial backing to bring the property up to higher standards or throw in the towel. If major corrections aren't made and you don't show your staff that the management cares about providing the guests with top quality customer service and a good product, you will certainly have a difficult time motivating your workers and getting the positive results I'm sure you desire. Success comes from leading by example so challenge yourself and upper management to get with the program. You have a potential gem on your hands and it could be so much more than it is in it's present state. I hope you take this suggestion with an open mind and it stirs some motivation within you to get the job done! I wish you the very best.

Room Tip: Cabins "cute" but need a lot of repair and maintenance work. If possible I suggest asking...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Sally M
Xanterra, Manager at Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with thoughtful and candid feedback on your stay at Deer Creek Lodge. Your feedback is helpful as it assists us with improving the quality of the products and services we offer here at the lodge.

The lodge gets mostly favorable reviews, so I was disappointed to read about your overall experience at Deer Creek. The situation you described is certainly not consistent with the type of experience we seek to provide to guests. The damaged window screen is a concern as it obviously allows bugs into the room, so I will make note of this and have all screens inspected to ensure they're free from damage.

I appreciate you taking the time to pick up trash at the property. While it wasn't necessary for you to do this, since we have maintenance crews working round-the-clock to clean and make repairs to the property, I understand that the trash was probably aesthetically displeasing. Either way, thank you for helping keep Deer Creek Lodge a beautiful place!

I have made note of your other comments and will aggressively look for ways to address them. Your comments are indeed helpful and I will make sure they don't go unaddressed.

I truly hope these issues don't prevent you from returning to Deer Creek Lodge and enjoying our usually high standards of operations. If you do return, please ask for me so I can personally ensure your highest level of satisfaction.

(740) 869-2020
bgriffin@xanterra.com
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Im a "City" girl and was looking for a place to just unwind. I live in Cincinnati, Oh and this was perfect for me. I had a wonderful time and was pleasantly surprised with the cleanliness and wonderful, informative and friendly staff. I am looking fwd to coming back. Thank you all for taking so much pride in your job and actually caring about the place and people you work for. Very impressed!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank miceim
Ohio
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Bathroom was gross. Water was brown. Tub leaked heavily all day/night. Room was horribly hot. Air conditioning was lame. A room that sleeps 8 should have more than one bathroom. Giant wasp nest with hundreds of wasps outside porch prevented us from using porch. Door knobs broken on every drawer. An inch of sloshy water in the carpet downthe main hallway was beyond gross. Inexperienced server in restaurant caused terrible delay in food service. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank mpandora
Xanterra, Manager at Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay at Deer Creek Lodge.

The type of experience you shared with us is certainly not what we strive for here at the lodge. Brown water, leaky tub, hot room, lame air conditioner and a wasp nest are things we rarely, if ever, hear complaints about. I'm shocked that my housecleaning staff missed all of this during their routine visit. In a case like yours, had we been made aware, we would have relocated you to a functioning room. There was no need for you to endure these conditions during your visit to Deer Creek. Our goal here is customer satisfaction. Please accept my sincere apologies that we failed to provide you with a positive experience. I will ensure that all of our rooms are inspected and free from the issues your mentioned.

I truly hope this isolated event doesn't prevent you from returning to Deer Creek Lodge and enjoying our usually high standards of operations. If you do return, please ask for me so I can personally ensure your highest level of satisfaction.

(740) 869-2020
Christopher Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in Chillicothe
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chillicothe
Holiday Inn Express Washington Court House
Holiday Inn Express Washington C...
#1 of 3 in Washington Court House
Baymont Inn & Suites Washington Court House

Been to Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!