“Pleasant stay at the Deer Creek Lodge”

Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Sterling
West Virginia
“Pleasant stay at the Deer Creek Lodge”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

My wife and I were pleasantly surprised at our recent stay at Deer Creek Lodge. We would love to visit again when it is warmer to get a better feel for the beauty of the lodge and the park.

Room Tip: A view of the lake is a must
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed before in a cabin at Deer Creek. We have now stayed again, this time in a bunk room w/ our 4 kids. It was more convenient to get to the indoor pool from inside the lodge; but not having the kitchen increased our food expenditures.
The room was cleaner and nicer than I expected. This is a beautiful and well-kept lodge. The front desk staff have been professional & pleasant both stays. The indoor pool is large and was not crowded during our stay. It's probably one of the warmest indoor pools we've come across in hotels, although ideally it would be a few degrees warmer; at least the kid's lips aren't blue.
One area lacking: Most of the games in the arcade are broken. That's a disappointment for us!
Also, the food in the restuarant is good. But it's pricey, and they are always out of something and it takes forever.
On our last stay, there was severe flooding. We drove to the marina this time and noticed the area looked drained and shut-down at least long term if not permanently. We do not golf, I cannot comment on that. We also did not bring our archery equipment this time, and last time it was flooded; so have not seen the archery range yet to comment on it's state. The shooting range was closed off, but looks to be undergoing renovations to reopen.
On a side note, we drove through the campground and the sites looked large and private, with larger than usual pads.
I almost took off 1 star for the apparent loss of marina, as this park doesn't have that great of hiking compared to other state parks; it's losing activities! LOL But this review is for the lodge which is very nice for OH state park lodges.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 4kidsinatent
Columbus
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We recently stayed in a cottage at Deer Creek State Park. The view from the cottage of the lake was beautiful, even in winter. The corner gas fireplace made the space very cozy. The tv reception included the Big 10 network, so we did get to watch the OSU bb game. I did see a room at the lodge - beautiful! We had Sunday morning breakfast - omelets cooked to order were great. But - the bunk bed rooms were not as pictured on the website. The only thing on the bunk beds were the fitted bed sheets. The top sheet and a blanket were folded at the foot of the bed and one sheet was the wrong size. Making the beds with the top sheet and blanket were a pain. The beds are heavy and flush against the wall. I can see why there weren't made, because they were hard. The shower spray was very minimal. The table in the kitchen would seat 6, but if you pulled it away from the wall to get 6 chairs around it, you couldn't have opened the refrigerator door. It was very icy and even when we called to ask for ice removal on the walk ways, a very minimal amount of product was put down. We enjoyed ourselves, but were ready to go home after an overnight stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank S L
Fairborn, Ohio
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We had a great stay in a newly renovated room during that overlooked the lake. The hotel labby setting area is very relaxing and the kids enjoyed the heated pool. This is a gret place to relax in their lobby by the warm fireplace to read a book or play board/card games with family and friends..

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I used to come to this lodge as a child and loved it. I recently had a business seminar to attend here and wondered how the lodge had aged over the years. I has been taken very good care of and looks like it has been recently updated. I will be bringing my family back in the summer. Staff was super friendly.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Galveston, IN
Reviewed January 4, 2012

The only thing that could make this experience better would have been lots of snow! We used this time as a family Christmas gathering and found the cabin beautifully decorated for Christmas and so very welcoming. The isolated location was perfect with the view over the lake and having the lodge facilities at our disposal was incredible. What a beautiful lodge with the fireplace and the tree, etc.The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank PattyJoKokomo
Chillicothe, Ohio
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Our family of 4 stayed 1 night at Deer Creek State Park Lodge. We took advantage of an off season special, as it would allow our children to enjoy a nice indoor pool and a night away from home a few short weeks before baby #3 arrives. We only live 35 minutes away, so it was very convenient to get to.

The lodge itself is very pretty, classic and outdoorsey and very clean. There is a large gas fireplace in the common area that always had people sitting in front of it. Check-in was a breeze. The front desk attendant was very courteous and polite. We had a recently updated room in the B wings second floor. It was very clean, no funny smellls or bedbugs, and there was a small fridge for us to use. Beds were nicely made and comfortable. I'm in my 9th month of pregnancy, and the beds were a little soft for my taste (I'm miserable pretty much anywhere right now!), but my husband thought they were just fine. Fitted sheet, flat sheet, comforter, then another flat sheet on top, though I would just prefer a flat sheet and full blown duvet cover on the comforter. We had a nice view of the outdoor pool area, which of course was closed for the winter. Our main purpose for going was to enjoy the indoor pool. Our kids, ages 4 and 6, loved it and swam for over 2 hours. The pool is open until 11pm, which is very nice since many hotels close their pool areas at 8 or 9 pm. The pool area was clean, towels for guest use were located in the locker room area, and the chlorine smell wasn't overpowering. We got pizzas from the bar for dinner, which was surprisingly excellent. VERY cheesey! We also enjoyed the breakfast buffet, which had a variety of foods suited for any preference. However, while the price for dinner for 4 was reasonable, the price of breakfast for 4 was outrageous. They must not offer a childrens rate.

We are planning on returning for another brief getaway again in the future. The only real complaint I have was that there was no "hold" placed on my debit/credit card that I made the online reservation with. I swear when I made the reservation, there was a message that said "This will be held against your card in a pending status until your arrival, at which time you may choose to pay in full with a different method of payment." Not how it happened. I made the reservation on a Tuesday, we checked in on Friday, the $ was removed from my account on Thursday prior to our arrival. So if I wanted to change methods of payment, I would have been out of luck. Just a warning. But overall, we're looking forward to our return.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Sterling
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington Court House Jeffersonville
Holiday Inn Express Washington Court House
Holiday Inn Express Washington C...
#1 of 3 in Washington Court House
Country Hearth Inn & Suites Washington Court House
Country Hearth Inn & Suites Wash...
#3 of 3 in Washington Court House
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Circleville
Christopher Inn & Suites
Christopher Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in Chillicothe
Baymont Inn & Suites Washington Court House

Been to Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!